FP4: The specs and your opinions

Fairphone have now revealed the specs for the FP4 so what are the forum users opinions.

• Only one physical SIM
  • SD card has been kept
  • No jack socket
  • No FM radio

Overall I like the look of the phone, though the camera notch is ugly, but a red case should distract from that.

OK the good news is it has a 5 year warranty a big step up from the FP3 two years.

4 Likes

You mean here?

3 Likes

True, but five years only, if you buy it before 31.12.2022 and register for the extended warranty.

2 Likes

Really good news is the replaceable usb port

8 Likes

5 years warranty - consider it as ordered!

3 Likes

No so shabby

Fairphoneā€™s Extended Warranty service is valid within the following territories: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France MĆ©tropolitaine (excluding oversea territories), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands (excluding Bonaire, Saba and St. Eustatius), Norway, Poland, Portugal (excluding Azores and Madeira), Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (excluding Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla), Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom (excluding the Channel islands).

7 Likes

Mhh the USB dual port charger you canā€™t pre-order so it canā€™t be 1 order then thatā€™s a shame

Tempted to buy on on 30th Dec 2022 to get the 5 year warranty :slight_smile:

2 Likes

6.2 Fairphoneā€™s liability under the Terms shall be limited to the actual cash value of the product. This cash value is determined by the price paid by the purchaser for the Product less a reasonable amount of usage.

Source: Our Warranties for the Fairphone Devices and their accompanying accessories and spare parts - Fairphone

2 Likes

I like the post as it does help clarify but isnā€™t that the usual conditions after 14 days?

For me it looks quite similar to an iPhone 6 Plus, at least the frame has nearly the same design. And the wireless ear buds look like a copy of the Airpods Pro, just in black :slightly_smiling_face:.

Consider the chip shortage, better order earlier than (too) late(er).

2 Likes

Does that mean you like it or not :slight_smile:

Good point :smiley:.
I donā€™t like the size for sure. The look is ok, but not special enough in my opinion. A more unique design would have been better.

1 Like

No, it means this: Imagine you bought a FP4 four years ago, and suddenly you have to file a warranty claim due to a defect. Now, we both know about certain spare parts that tend to break quite often, so they could not be supplied for months or have been ceased and are no longer available. If this should happen to you (which may be quite likely after four years), they offer you ā‚¬ ~100-150 and want to keep your phone in returnā€¦ (I had a similar case with an Asus notebook once.)

Yes thatā€™s what I mean by ā€˜usualā€™ and what I would expect and consider reasonable.

650 divided by 5 is 150 per year

Your calculation does not apply to objects of value which lose most of it in the very first year. This is what they mean with ā€œreasonable amount of usageā€ā€¦

More likely 130 :wink:.

4 Likes

5 years warranty is definitely interesting!

I particularly like some of the more ā€œevery dayā€ exclusions:

4.5.9 Damage that is the result of external causes such as [ā€¦] falls of sidereal bodies and aeroliths [ā€¦];

4.5.10 [ā€¦] Damage as a result of pressure waves caused by airplanes traveling at supersonic or sonic speeds. [ā€¦];

I guess they have to cover for every eventuality :slight_smile:.

Hereā€™s the full list for reference:

Fairphone 4 Extended Warranty Terms and Conditions

3 Likes

ā€¦ done :grinning:
Assured the next 5+ years of change in my hands.

2 Likes