FP4: The specs and your opinions

They clearly missed aero flotsam from a large birds orifice, or a dead rat or rabbit an eagle may be carrying.

Could even be another FP4 that a magpie dropped.

Sidereal bodies, not cosmic, solar, or earth orbit ???

I’m pretty sure that if a star fell on the phone it wouldn’t really matter any more.

The colors are not really ideal, but covers should be able to fill that void.
Looking forward to have it in my hand. 5g and good cameras make it really future proof

Or indeed a swallow…

(see Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Wikiquote)

1 Like

Covers will hide the grey and tacky green,

but not
future proof ~ no wifi 6 and
USB 3 for five or more years ???

USB 3 > 2010
USB 3.1 > July 2013
USB 3.2 > September 2017
USB 4 > August 2019
USB 4.* >

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/connectivity/usb-universal-serial-bus/standards.php

1 Like

In the live event they also talked about updates. They aim to provide them until 2027 (6 years) and up to Android 15.

5 Likes

I already hear the voices screaming “but you promised!” in five years from now on…

1 Like

I am extremely disappointed in the lack of headphone jack. The shift to battery-powered, single-use wireless headphones is an environmental disaster, and I honestly feel a little betrayed that Fairphone are jumping on that bandwagon.

My FP3 is still very new, but I hope a saner FP4+ or FP5 comes out before it gives in. Else I’ll have to look elsewhere for a replacement.

8 Likes

I’m sure it’s possible to replace the batteries with a little force, but yes otherwise I empathise with your disappointment.

2 Likes

Complying with IP54 and giving 5 years warranty proofed to be impossible with the audio jack. That’s why there is no audio jack.
One can’t have it all.

6 Likes

Where do you have this information from? The length of a warranty period is independent from an audio jack that does or does not exist…

3 Likes

From the Live Event today.
I think you can still see it Live Event 30-09-21

2 Likes

What about the size and weight, that’s a little disappointing.
FP4

• Length 162 mm
  • Width 75.5 mm
  • Thickness 10.5 mm
  • Weight 225g

FP3

• Length 158 mm
  • Width 71.8 mm
  • Thickness 9.89 mm
  • Weight: 189g
6 Likes

Wow, what a neat marketing…

And don’t forget they only offer 3 years down the road so the same argument for 5 years won’t stand then.

Given the modularity, it’s a pity it could not be a user module, like the USP port :frowning:

1 Like

The omission of the 3.5mm jack is not just bad, it’s simply moronic and the designers (and whoever made this descision) should be terribly ashamed. Removing this feature renders their own older buds unusable on their newer phone and millions upon millions of headphones can’t be used.
The “introduce your own wireless earbuds and remove the jack” strategy is something you expect from Apple, Samsung and OnePlus, not from Fairphone. For shame.
I’d suggest people look at the PinePhone instead for a more versatile smartphone.

6 Likes

All these mentioned headphones can be used with a simple adapter, sold for 10€. So what’s all the cursing about?

18 Likes

I get the cursing @CapuaS as I would rather a separate port to save damage to the USB, but they they’ve thought of that and offer USB port replacements, so not quite so moronic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What they said is that they don’t believe that an 3.5 mm jack port will be important enough in 5 years compared to the downsides of having an extra port. there is nothing magical about an usb c port that makes it more weatherproof or easier for warranty compared to the jack.
they also said that having a dual camera, 5g antennas and dual speakers was more important to them so they didn’t have space for the jack port

What I understand is, they made a tough choice to eliminate the jack to have other features. You know, like a compromise. For me, they made the wrong choice and I will look elsewhere for a new phone when I need one. I’m disappointed

1 Like

And before people start, yes you can get a USB C to 3.5mm jack AND USB C adaptor, so you can listen to music and charge at the same time.

5 Likes

Hmm! a USB is more likely to be water proof and it’s smaller and the usb port is user replaceable.