Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

It wouldn’t be the first time these companies would be doing stuff that’s highly criminal. I personally wouldn’t be surprised if all this data would secretly be shared with some US agencies. I’m not saying that it is, just that it might as well be and we don’t know it (yet).

Edit: I use Linux on my laptop and even though there are no Linux drivers for its fingerprint reader - so it’s literally impossible that it works - I still cover it up, just to be extra sure. The is nothing better than physically blocking hardware.

2 Likes

I think it could become available on /e/ OS one day, too, but not within the next five years or so…

While I am - in a way - totally in agreement, that the best prevention against data collection is physically switching sensors/cameras off, this - just for me - seems to be a bit far fetched.

Regarding the pain it is to register one’s fingerprint with a sensor, I can hardly see any use in collecting random touches of the sensor and making a pattern out of those. Even more so, as there might be lots of people handling the phone. They might be “noticed”, but collected would mean storing them and that should fill up the memory really fast or at least it should be recognizeable, or do I get something wrong there?
So, while I don’t use the fingerprint sensor on the FP3 and did not register my fingerprints, I never thought of covering that sensor.
The camera is a totally different piece of cake of course.

But that’s obviously just my personal opinion.
And regarding the pictures I have my doubts, that there is a fingerprint sensor on the front side. If any, than I would guess it’s on the back next to the two camera lenses.

6 Likes

Google stores biometric info in their Titan security chip (offline). Which is their secure enclave.

In general I am not a big fan of notches, but maybe I can get used to it.

But I really hope that the notch is not just for the front-facing cam, but for the notification LED, too.

For various reasons I really like notification LEDs and it was one of the major things why I bought the FP3.
Most phones don’t have them nowadays, but luckily there are still some few phones on the market with LEDs.

In my opinion and for my use case, a missing notification LED would be a bummer.

5 Likes

If you zoom in, lower contrast and raise brightness, you can see three darker lines on the right side of the notch. So there is still hope :blush:
F4FPHN-2GR-EU1-_notch_zoom

8 Likes

I think that would rather be the grill for the speaker…

7 Likes

And/or the proximity sensor and/or ambient light detector :wink:

I don’t think there will be a notification LED. Most smartphones don’t have this feature anymore. Furthermore, if it were to be an OLED screen, then there would be no need for such thing…

3 Likes

A LED would still save some battery…

1 Like

I thought I would miss the LED notification as well. But the always-on display feature on the Pixel 3 is actually really good and doesn’t use much battery. The always-on display is also off when you have it in your pocket or face down on a table. It uses perhaps 1% of battery per hour, when on. Which is only when it’s laying there on the table. Just saying :slight_smile:

Not so sure: if it blinks, I want to turn my screen on to know what it is, whereas if it is directly - even momentarily - displayed, I’d then know if I would want to or not…

And I’m not even talking about the fact it was unavailable for monthes after FP3 launched…

1 Like

I really hate the design of this new phone, the main reason why I went for Fairphone in the first place was because it was one of the only manufacturer that didn’t fall for the meme of notched screens, this new Fairphone 4 is everything I was running away from when I bought a Fairphone 3, this new design really feels like a betrayal for me

3 Likes

While I agree with you in a purely aesthetic point of view, they never committed not to do notched-screens!

However, thankfully, you don’t need to buy a new phone as long as your phone still works fine, and they committed to continue the support of FP3 (hard and software) for at least 3 years… Until FP5+ comes out, with a punched screen :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Furthermore, you could technically hide the notch in the options in Android 11, so don’t worry so much about it!

4 Likes

The only thing I am a little worried about is that the display module might be offered for a higher price because of the integrated front camera…

1 Like

Pretty sure it is ?

@Antoine So the two cameras are aligned,
So the cameras are aligned…
I wonder who they consult on design and colour, someone colour blind and, and the green well it’s like :nauseated_face: but just a bit more stale.
Colours are a let down.

1 Like

I’m wondering if they’ll continue with the modules like before, or if they’ll come back to spare pieces like with FP1. Especially with the back cameras (I hope they’ll not put all of them in the same module, which would then feel like a bit of a betrayal).

2 Likes

In terms of material sustainability, Fairphone might have their reasons. And maybe the factory workers like these colours more than you do…? :wink:

At the end, design is quite subjective. But I don’t really get the dislike of the design.
It’s like most other phones and it’s finaly not a 2 year old design. Notches and punch holes are common and most people seem to like it.
And the color is gray and green. Why should gray be a problem at all? And the green looks dozen times better than the bright case colors of the FP 3/3+.
Why should’t a fair Phone be designed in a way all others are?

5 Likes

Oh and read an blog post which is assuming (no sources or facts) that the fingerprint sensor could be on the side of the phone. Like the idea.
Haven’t seen something like this before but it seems possible.
And if you take a close look at the bottom right (from the back) side, there seems to be something.

1 Like

Why should it? I like bright colours and It may even cheer up the factory workers. Well I’ll be using a case so may as well go for gre***. Hmm! I wonder what any case my be like. Bright red would be my favourite as I work in the fields a lot.