FP4: The specs and your opinions

Currently there are no indications for this unfortunately. With the screen not being an OLED one (which might make sense due to the burn-in issues they may have) I would have liked to see this simple way to indicate that there are notifications without having to turn on the display.
Looking at my good old FP2 and its shortcomings I’d be interested in these points:

• Energy consumption: From the reviews that are available I read that - depending on the usage of course - it runs for about 1 to 2 days with a complete charge. That’s in the range that my FP2 can achieve, too, with 1 day being realistic and 2 days by almost not using it. The FP4, however, has a battery that is 1.6x as big as the one of the FP2. This question is mainly relevant when charging with a limited energy source (bicycle dynamo charger). And of course a more economical phone emits less heat.
  • Received signal strength: Comparing my FP2 with other phones using the same operator my phone sooner switches to Edge or no reception at all where others still have 4G. From what I read the FP3 is already better than the FP2, so the FP4 should hopefully at least not be worse than the FP3. Last but not least this helps saving energy if apps don’t have to reconnect over and over again.
  • VoLTE and VoWifi are included in the FP4, so I assume that this works without any issues while the FP2’s chipset supported at least one of them as far as I remember but the software just didn’t support it.
  • The same goes for Qualcomm’s proprietary Bluetooth audio codec aptX which could be used for higher quality audio transfer. Here, also the FP3 doesn’t have it. However, this is more a nice-to-have feature.

@anon9989719
yep, that was my own interpretation btw :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
but there’s no official statement from fairphone or any review that would show the notification led in action…

@Martin_Anderseck
you can see three darker areas besides the notch:

• 1x Proximity sensor (?)
  • 1x Brightness sensor (?)
  • 1x something else… (notification LED…? :pray:)
2 Likes

Pretty sure it’s not a grill, the screen looks solid, so what else could those things be ??

Will have to check some videos

2 Likes

Isn’t that the speaker you hold near your ear whilst you’re phoning? There’s also a large horizontal line on the top, it has a different color than the rest of the area. Maybe that’s the speaker or a large LED.

3 Likes

I suppose that’s the speaker…

4 Likes

For reference: My car was built in the year 2008 and features a Bluetooth handsfree unit which I use with my FP2 flawlessly every single day. If I took a USB cable to plug in and out twice a day, the microUSB port of the FP2 would not last very long. No idea whether the USB-C ports would last longer or not…

Could be, then I suppose not the entire area is used while calling. Else your phone call gets distributed beyond your ear.

Magnetic cable would’ve avoided that. Although they tend to stick less well than wired, which in some situations is desired and in some not.

3 Likes

Right, it is a different use case anyway, because many audio sources stlll need to be connected with a traditional cable. But a friend of mine already uses his TV with an external Bluetooth transceiver, sitting approximately five meters away and listening over Bluetooth headphones. However, although I am not a big fan of wireless (audio) connections, they absolutely make sense in a car…

2 Likes

It makes sense for your friend as well, for example listening to radio or TV while cooking, cleaning house etc you can easily do with a BT headset. In such a case you’re not stationary. In a car, you sit stationary. That’s when I find BT less useful. More so because the sound would be at the car speakers via aux-in or USB.

1 Like

I neither listen to Bluetooth audio nor FM radio due to my old engine, trying to avoid a permanent damage, but it is possible to use Bluetooth audio with the car speakers, too. And if I am in a hurry, I just fasten my seatbelt and start the engine, no need to tinker with a cable…

The guy I usually drive with to work has the connector in his holder. I don’t know how common that is though.

I think it is pretty common nowadays due to browsing the Internet, but a) it is too much distraction while driving on the road, and b) that can be done on the phone after the car has been stopped, too. Safety first…

I have a phone from 2016 and that was under this price. It was 399 euros and im still using it. But that isnt a fair compare, because phones were more expensive in 2016. Thats a average of 6,66 eurors the month and because its 5 years old you can say thats climate friendly. But its too about that Im just dissapointed. I thought Fairphones would become cheaper each release, because of bigger production and their ideologies to give just the basic needs

1 Like

a) Well the specs are a major improvement

b) Phones are still generally going up in prices or at least not going down when higher specs are incorporated

c) Fairphone are still only selling the odd hundred thousand or two, not in the millions yet.

1 Like

Yes, know that. Maybe I will buy a (second hand) FP3(+) in the feature for only 300-400 bucks

1 Like

Well, not sure about phones being cheaper then, actually, I’d say flagships didn’t reach a thousand USD at that time, and now not only Apple and Samsung, but even Xiaomi reached that mark. I remember my OnePlus One 3/64 version at 299 € (plus shipping) and now the equivalent will be probably over 800 € (inflation wasn’t that bad). You did well keeping your phone for that long, I must say.

Regarding sustainability, the FairPhone initiative is still unmatched, and price can’t be lowered, I think, because of the chipset and specs (at the very least, not basic in the FP 4, but mid-range), and taking into account the fair sourcing of the materials and all the easy-to-fix design that makes it unique.

6 Likes

What is IP54 ? and will there be a plugin to add the audio jack ? I also find it a bit sad…

1 Like

That means the phone is dust protected and against splashes of water: IP code - Wikipedia

There’s no plugin, but an external adapter: USB-C to Mini Audio Jack Adapter (3.5mm) - Accessory | Fairphone

4 Likes

Hm, simple thingie. I never looked up such an adapter. I thought they’d be more chunky.
But I assume using intelligent USB-C there shouldn’t be any more compatibility issues concerning whatever 3,5mm 4-pin assignment standard is used or am I mistaking here?

1 Like

I don’t know to be honest. Although USB-C is ‘intelligent’, the headphone jack probably isn’t.

1 Like