FP4: The specs and your opinions

Fairphone sell a straight through USB to Jack and there are these options

6 Likes

Good findings, even 2in1 types with charge function. If I were in need I would go for the cable version, one less thing to worry about.
A most sophisticated type would be to also have options to somehow change the 3,5mm jack pin assignment for higher compatibility.
If it was a computer accessory it would be a good challenge for Jens Schƶnfeld, heā€™s known to always find a specialty for his developments as nice gimmick. :wink:

2 Likes

Initial opinions:

The front camera notch is a HUGE downgrade IMHO, which will deter me from upgrading from my FP3 unless i absolutely have to (ie. it dies).

Iā€™d rather have no front camera at all than have a camera notchā€¦ Itā€™ll degrade all usage of the phone with that annoying cutout. Itā€™s like bad pixels on a screen x1000 (sorry for the rant, but if theres one ā€˜featureā€™ i hate more than anything else on modern phones itā€™s this :slight_smile: )

#1 - no headphone jack
#2 - no dual physical sim slots

Another two downgrades again IMHO, but more minor.

#1 - i now use BT heaphones by default, but my old jacked headphones i keep around as a backup if their battery dies, this ā€˜updateā€™ kills said backup option unless i carry around a dongle and donā€™t lose it.
#2 - Iā€™ve only used this feature once admittedly, but again the removal is a downgrade.

That said, as long as you keep the user replaceable battery* as an option, iā€™ll still be a customer.

SD slot is still a large plus point.

FM radio is not an option iā€™ve ever used. Iā€™ve had many phones with this feature, none have had reception good enough to be usable. In any case i get my music off online radio stations nowā€¦ As long as i have mobile data, i donā€™t need this feature :stuck_out_tongue:

*A month ago i replaced the battery on my near-launch FP3, the phone feels like new again :smiley:

AFAIK Jens only does hardware related to Amiga and C=64. This wouldnā€™t be in his scope. Or did I miss something?

1 Like

Yes, youā€™re completely right.

The thing I hope is that Fairphone will offer affordable phones in the future. For now the price differences between Fairphones and other phones(Im in the budget category) grows. But if the price increasing for better specs cause more people because they want high end phones I wish Fairphone good luck. Maybe I will buy somewhere in the future a second hand Fairphone(hopefully will have the new Fairphones lesser crashes then the actual Fairphone 2ā€™s my housemates are using now).

that oneplus becomes expensive is I think, because they are increasing there marges for money and because of the problems for getting chipsets. Actuay there are enough unfair Chinese phones which cost only ā‚¬100 which are enough according to the specs for me.

This is the issue, what is affordable? Treating the supply chain workers just doesnā€™t come into most peopleā€™s specs.

Hopefully more people will dig into their pockets than expect other to dig in the mines for the consumers exotic makeup.

1 Like

The problem is that this so called fair phones doesnt become cheaper but more expensive. Not because of better salary, but higher specs. Thats why im.dissapointed. and I understand other people like it and FP needs money. For me a normal affordable phone would be ā‚¬200 bucks and yes, thats just me. Now the difference are becoming bigger.

1 Like

Note quite true, although as profit is usually percentage based then yes the up-line vendors make the most, but the supply chain also makes more from new investment etc.

Itā€™s the old business story, you have to have customers spending more to keep the supply chain slaves employed. Thereā€™s no gain without pain, so who is going to suffer, or suffer more ??

1 Like

Some (many?) people want to keep their phone many years with updates. Unfortunately, this is not possible with low specs except if you are ready to do almost nothing with it but then why do you need a smartphone ?

3 Likes

Good point, providing almost twice as long software support compared to the average Android phone surely also costs money, i.e. raises the price.

5 Likes

Sorry but we customers canā€™t compare a fair phone with a standard one just looking spec by spec and then its prices. One (FairPhone) has invest a lot in searching in remote places all over the world for fair materials and relationships (factoriesā€¦) + as someone posted here, FP offers 5 years at the very least of software support. Cā€™mon, only Apple gets close to this (not warranty) and thatā€™s because they suck alll profit from their customers, from overpriced and not so fair hardware, labor chain, and then, software. The FP approach is wildly different, a small team that produces in tiny (comparatively speaking) batchesā€¦ will take a lot of time for them to reduce per unit costs. That is, if they even can. Because thereā€™s millions of people willing to buy phones, and fair sourced materials must be scarce for that demand.

I am backing them this time, as per CPU, I think the 750G should be able to last that 5 years and probably some more. Hopefully lots of people will join, and push forward a fair trend in consumer tech!

6 Likes

Sooo, one will be able to buy FP4 from /e/ directly :nerd_face:

7 Likes

So why someone started about a FP2 in a topic about the FP4?

I assume people read the topic and reply accordingly.

No matter what the majority does, using an unsupported phone is NOT safe.

Interesting, but whoā€™s is to blame? The people using so called old phones, or the companies not sending out sufficient updates?

Totally depends on user and use. Whereas it is not recommend there are many user who what to do phone-banking. A few that want to watch dodgy videos and those who want to hide their message from others.

However I have yet to hear from anyone I know over 25 years still using old phones and new ones with bad habits that have ever had a problem.

But donā€™t be like me and my foolish friends and family, just be yourself.

No I donā€™t, I use plugged headphone in my car.

Versatility for me means that I can use what I have, and not needing to buy new stuff.

You are free to use whatever you like, I donā€™t even have the problem as I donā€™t have a car.
But if I had a car I would use bluetooth unless I was parked up and then use some wired headset, as I have an FP three , lucky me.

But even with an ancient FP3 whilst driving I would use a bluetooth headset.

You donā€™t have to read this thread you knowā€¦ If youā€™re feeling pathetic you could have just skipped the post.