FP3 Software update: 8901-4.A.0021.0

Hi everyone,

A new software update for Fairphone 3 and 3+ users is now available.

Software Version: 8901.4.A.0021.0
Security Patch Level: 5th of February, 2023
Update size: 546 MB

List of changes:

• Camera improvements
    Applies only to Fairphone 3+ or Fairphone 3 with a Camera+ Module installed:

• More natural tones and exposure across modes (E.g. HDR, Portrait, Pro).
    • Better image sharpness and noise filtering.
    • Reduced motion blur for indoor scenes.
    • Pro mode now has a separate configuration to other modes.
  • System update improvements
    Your Fairphone will be better at managing storage partitions in the background, making system updates better prepared for years to come.

More details

16 Likes

Also to mention: shortcuts weren’t deleted!

Just arrived here (Vodafone Germany). Installation went smoothly, will report later, if there are any glitches.

1 Like

Got it! (VF Germany)

too bad nobody puts payload sizes in announcements, although the updater clearly states them. i didnt note the amount exactly either :(( mybad, but it was larger than 500megabytes but smaller than 600 megabytes. fyi.

1 Like

The exact size of this one is 546 MB according to the release notes.

4 Likes

As this update is about cameras, and I just updated, is it normal for a selfie video to crop in AFTER recording? As in when I record, I see the full view. When I watch back a recording, it has cropped off the top.

Apologies if this is for a thread elsewhere!

EDIT: I am also still experiencing this issue when in Whatsapp/Signal video calls (I was on LOS, I am now on stock). FP3+ Camera Oversharpened/Low Quality in video calls - #47 by EstherV

After I restarted my FP3+ today midday, I got the update notification. I updated just now, and the update went well.

At the first glance, I do not notice any difference in the camera.

2 Likes

Mine seems fine. What camera app are you using and have you. I used the default app. I’ve never used the selfie video before.

UPDATE
Ha! So I tried a second time and it cropped the top ??? and every time since. I emptied the cache for the app but no difference.

UPDATE:

I think it’s to do with video stabilisation which uses the edge photosites (pixels) as references.

I turned if off and there is no cropping.

EDIT: Happens with other camera app too (GCam NIkita)

3 Likes

Stabiliser makes sense, but in my experience this is usually also in the preview before/while recording. Seems a bit strange to apply it after the fact

1 Like

By the way, this thread is fine, it’s not a huge issue that will gather too many replies, hopefully.

I am on the beta testing team and this wasn’t noticed so I have informed them now.

Thank for bringing this up

1 Like

Arrived here tonight (Germany | Provider: Simply); installed right now. No Bad effects so far :wink:

I think the last times someone asked for screenshots so I did some

Best
DonFnord

1 Like

Does anyone know if I can take advantage of this update if I am using Open Camera? Not the stock camera app.

Hi 1999

I got no clue about the Open Camera but for me the security patch level of 5th Feb 2023 was actually the more important argument :wink:

1 Like

Well it won’t hurt to try. I use Open camera, Gcam Nikita and the default.
Each has it’s advantage.

1 Like

And also, looking at the improvements to the camera in this update, do you guys think it fixes the oversharpening issue we discussed before? (link below)
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fp3-camera-oversharpened-low-quality-in-video-calls/77799

1 Like

I’ve had a couple of video calls since and it’s still not great. Whether it’s changed or not, I can’t say! But when I do a side-by-side comparison with my girlfriend’s Pixel 5a, it’s night and day in difference. Her front camera in a Whatsapp video call looks soft (if anything, slightly too soft) but clean and smooth. My FP3+ looks low quality and jagged.

1 Like

Hi,

I installed the update yesterday using WLAN. Today my mobile data does no longer work. Yesterday everything worked fine. I am using Congstar in Germany.

What didn’t helped:

• Reboot
  • Shutdown and start the phone
  • Disable mobile data and enable it again

Edit: I played a little bit with the settings while I wrote this text and accidental disabled the SIM. After enable it again, my mobile data works again.

Edit2:
Long tap on mobile data. Then you see a slider on top to disable/enable the SIM, it is called “SIM verwenden” in German.

@Incanus:
I did not changed any settings

Did you check the APN settings?

I think it was mentioned already that this was not fixed…!?