FP3+ Camera Oversharpened/Low Quality in video calls

One thing I have noticed is that my video preview looks good in Signal, a lot better compared to the PiP preview in Whatsapp. However, on the receiving end in Signal, the quality of my camera is still as shown in examples here.

Using DuckDuckGo and “oversharpened video image in whatsapp” as keywords, this Topic is the third on the list, so maybe it is a Fairphone issue?
However there are a few camera apps and does WhatsApp have it’s own camera software.

• WhatsApp has a built-in camera app, Maybe this is the problem and is not tuned to the FP camera, or could it be the other way. The FP overrides the WhatsApp camera and WhatsApp messes with the image???

I’ve just changed the sharpness control from 6 to zero in the default camera app. Will see if that makes a diff, not that I’ve had many complaints.

Hi,

I need some help, every time i make a videocall via Whatsapp with my fairphnone3+ I look superweird.
I cant seem to change the settings. I’ve tried via Whatsapp settings and via the Camera settings, also via the phones settings, but nothing changes.

Did any of you have the same promblem? How did you fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Anna

Hi and welcome to the forum.

How weird? :slight_smile:

Some people have complained of too sharp an image some extremely so . . .

Does it happen on both network and Wi-Fi?

• If you are using the network and data, at least ensure VoLTE isn’t enables as this will use bandwidth of the 4G which you are undoubtedly using for WhatsApp

• if you are using Wi-Fi is this happening with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz or have you not checked which you are using?

1 Like

Thank you,

Yes like the photos of the people above. Oversharpened en extremely overlighted.

I didnt find anything searching the forum but the above helps…
Thank you

1 Like

When looking at my PiP, I generally seem to find the sharperning/aliasing gets worse when I hold the camera away from my face.

This also happens when using the front cam in the stock LOS camera, but to a much lesser effect. Is this perhaps a case of oversampling from the 16mp front cam, and Whatsapp just being bad at it? Too much “detail” in the image resulting in a mess

Hello,
I just bought a second hand FP3 with the new camera, so a FP3+ and I can add my name to the list. Oversaturated image on Whatsapp with both cameras (front and back).
Any solution well appreciated. Thanks
Cyrille

So do you have two new cameras?

Just to clarify upgrading the FP3 camera does not make an FP3+ the FP3+ has a different core module as well as . . .

Oversaturated image? Maybe you could post an image? It would be difficult to provide a solution as there are many settings you may have not used.

It is also useful to know which operating sytem you are using, which version and which camera app etc.

Hi, this is my first time posting. Just to confirm i have exactly the same problem as those above. I have always had it on my FP3 since i bought it new last year and i have just today upgraded the selfie camera with the Top+ module hoping that would fix it. It didn’t. I have just installed Open Camera and changed the Edge Mode Algorithm to off and still it is the same. Looking forward to getting a solution please, my video call with friends are an embarrassment!

Also, I am on Android 11 and my only choice is 4mp for the selfie camera, i thought it should be 16mp now?

1 Like

Well the oversharpness I have only noticed in bright light, but yes it has nothing to do with the camera, so upgrading wouldn’t do anything. There’s plenty of resolution on the original cameras for clear shots.

As for the 4MPx reading that is a more recent software failing which is being looked at behind the scenes :slight_smile:

I’m glad it’s seemingly not just me having this issue, although I still lean towards it being in the hands of the app developers to fix. Hopefully someone in the right team can look in to it deeper though.

Can confirm this is not LOS or Whatsapp specific.
I am using a new FP3+ (2 month old), latest system update, using Skype.
Most of the times the front camera video is over-sharpened, all the freckles on my face are exaggerated! And the resolution is very poor. Same as the OP. And yes, it’s embarrassing with friends.

I say most of the times because, sometimes the video quality is just fine. Or sometimes, if the video quality is bad, I hang up and call again, then I can get good video quality (but this doesn’t always work).

In short, still don’t know what causes the poor video quality.

In your case, poor Internet quality would come to my mind?

Yes this has been happening for a loooong time. Next time try moving the phone further from you face. You may notice it improves.

It seems it is due to the ambient light that is recognised as lowering the light always seems to work. For example it doesn’t happen indoors if the light is not very bright but will happen outdoors, especially if the phone is close to the face.

I can cope with it and haven’t contacted support about this. Maybe I will and you could if you like.

All the best.

This does not seem possible as
a) The internet I use is always Wi-Fi 5Ghz at home within a few yards and is no different if I stand next to the router. The speed is always around 12 to 13 (Mbs)
b) Other people visiting don’t have this problem
c) I get it no matter where I am or if the light is bright and the phone is close to my face

1 Like

Thanks will try your tip.

1 Like

I have the same problem with FP3+. It’s so over sharpened that it looks very bad. With cheaper older phones I had much better selfie camera. It’s not a problem only with WhatsApp, I tested it with everything, even taking a picture with the original camera app with the selfie camera it’s horrible. Please fix this. I can’t make a video call like this, I don’t look like myself.

Please try moving the camera as mentioned in posts above. I have noticed this occurs more so a) in bright light and b) when close up.

Secondly this is a user forum and ‘we’ are not able to ‘fix’ the issue you have. You can of course contact support @fairphone with your concerns.

1 Like

I’ve sent an email to Fairphone support, and also linked to this thread. Will see what they say!

2 Likes

Hi I am happy to read I am not the only one with an sharpened pixelated image in the selfie camera. I have it whenever I start a video call on Whatsapp, Zoom and MSTeams. Did anyone find a fix yet?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.