FP3+ rear camera is 12MP not 48MP

Hello,

I received my FP3+ from amazon almost two weeks ago. I started taking pictures few days ago, and i noticed the pictures quality is not a 48MP.

I checked the camera settings, it shows picture size maximum is 12MP for the rear camera, and 16MP for the front camera.

Did i get a mistakenly assembled phone ?, should i return it back ?

You are correct the output is 12Mpx but the sensor is 48Mps

I will direct you to other posts to clarify, Fairphone do say that too.

2 Likes

May I ask why the picture size option in the camera settings shows 16MP for the front camera, and 12 MP for the rear camera, it should show 48MP for the rear camera, I think ?

As the sensor of the FP3+ is a Quad-Bayer-type, there is no possibility to get a 48MP picture out of it. It samples four pixels on the sensor for one output pixel.
See the technical data on the Fairphone page

5 Likes

So, This is normal for the rear camera ?

I was about to provide links.

The front camera has 16MPs (Millions of Pixelsites) that are individual sensors and each is used to produce a Pixel so you get 16MPx

The rear camera has 48MPs, confusingly often called MPx

The 48MPs is an array of 4 x 12Mps which uses what is called a bayer filter. This provides an output of 12Mpx.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. There are some discussions already, see for example: FP3+: New camera module still generating 12 MP pictures

4 Likes

Please see this for a more detailed explanation

1 Like

Thank You so much @anon9989719 and @Incanus , I’m really really glad i got my FP3+ phone.

This is a great community FP has, and a wonderful support.

Bless You all.

5 Likes

Hi all.
I am a new FP3+ user and I am running LineageOS 19 on it
It seems, that it is not possible to use the “+” features in this combination. The default camera app lets me set not more than 12 MP as solution for the rear camera.
Is this fact, or can this be enabled by i.e. using another app?

Let me have that very clear: I have very few (and very clear) requirements on a phone. Camera solution is one of the least important. However, I would not like the thought, not to use the full power, just because I missed something.

Best regards,
Frytz

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the community,

I moved your post, please read above.

And for better pictures have a look at the GCam Ports, because the Software is more important than the Hardware.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

12MPx is the correct output, please read the specs :slight_smile:

Rear camera

• 48 megapixels resolution with 12 megapixel output

If you want to know more about why and why it is called a 48MP camera then please see

As far as apps go you can install Gcam apps. I use Nikita but it won’t change the function of the Bayer design output. Although it may provide better outputs in other aspects. Search for Nikita etc. on this forum for examples. There are may posts about quality etc.

For the Nikita app etc. see:

4 Likes

I decided to upgrade the rear camera module to the Camera+ Module 48MP one. I installed the replacement module (which was labeled Camera+ on both the package and the module itself), it works but does not offer resolutions higher than 12MP (4000x3000).
I tried both the stock app and OpenCamera. I reinstalled the apps. Still only 12 MP…
What am I missing?

Hi and welcome, please read above.

1 Like

Seriously? This needs to be stated much more explicitly!!!

The sensor is marketed as an upgrade.
The sensor is marketed as 48 MP in the name!
The sensor specification reports:
0.8um, 8000x6000 (48MP) << This line in particular stands by itself with no further qualifiers!
This is misleading advertising, I will be returning the product and expect a full refund.

For a company that prides itself in transparency, this is especially concerning. It’s no better than everyone else…

1 Like

You didn’t read the specs it seems. It is explained in the specs on the Fairphone shop as follows:-

As mentioned it has been explained to other users.

Thanks to pixel binning technology, our new high-definition 48-megapixel sensor is always ready - even for low-light scenes.

Here, four pixels are combined to form one large superpixel that captures four times more light while being friendly to your phone’s storage (equalling 12-megapixel photos).

Please also read

2 Likes

You are being rude here… If you leave it to a separate page to explain in detail why your “48MP” only actually produces images with 12 million pixels accessible to the user, it isn’t my fault for not reading it. It is deliberately misleading.

The very existence of this thread with multiple posts is an indication that the shop page is insufficiently clear.

1 Like

Its more than obvious in the shop.

3 Likes