FP3+ rear camera is 12MP not 48MP

By the way, this is a user forum offering help/advice etc. we have no say over how Fairphone present their products.

No one has a say on how a prospective buyer chooses to read or not to read the detailed specifications.

There are many pages that detail the specs, sadly buyers do not read much it would seem. You are not the only one not to read the info, it’s quite common.

And it is not on the second page ~ it is on the first page that describes the camera.

It appears you may have just clicked on buying without clicking on the product, so you didn’t choose to read the detail.

Each product has a lot of specs you can’t surely think it would be a good idea to list and show that on the ‘Spare parts’ page. Each part has it’s own page.

Anyway what problem do you have with the camera as that surely is the issue?

1 Like

I strongly disagree with your statement. Let me preface this by saying that I am a physicist and I develop photosensors for a living. Nothing related to phone cameras, but I know what a photodiode is, and I know what resolution means

It is more than obvious that grouping four pixels is a POSSIBILITY offered by this hardware for enhancing low light sensitivity and saving storage, which makes perfect sense.

It is not at all obvious that there is no possibility of NOT grouping them.

The presence of these lines in particular, in the description:

• 48 megapixels resolution with 12 megapixel output
  • 0.8um, 8000x6000 (48MP)
    seems to indicate that it is possible to forfeit the low light sensitivity to take a full resolution picture using 8000x6000 pixels (each segmented in 3 or 4 color subpixels). This would be a perfectly reasonable use case, and something that sounds technically plausible in my opinion, and it is what I understood initially.
    Additionally, the use of the word resolution implies the ability to resolve distinct point sources as distinct if they fall in separate pixels. Grouping four pixels permanently prevents one from “resolving” and therefore is factually incorrect in this case.

As for the MegaPhotosites post that @anon9989719 linked, the only search result I get for “MegaPhotosites” is that very page, which to me is sufficient to say that they just made up the fact that MP can be used to mean that. Furthermore, the store page uses MP, not MPx for the 12 megapixel sensor of Fairphone 3, which actually has 12 million usable pixels i.e. can produce 4000x3000 RGB images. It stands to reason that the same term be used to mean the same thing across all products in the store.

IANAL, but I feel like there will be at least some jurisdictions within the EU that would consider this actual false advertising.

Regardless, I am happy that the law gives me the ability to return this product within 14 days without having to go through the hassle of litigating this. I am disappointed that I wasted time pursuing this upgrade path instead of getting a phone which an actual good camera.

I would not even waste time trying to argue my point of view, but seeing as Fairphone as a company seems interested in doing better from other points of view, I decided to dedicate it some time to give my opinion.

Edit to add: I don’t know who here is or isn’t speaking as a representative of the company, and I am not suggesting people in this thread are responsible for the store page contents. They are however responsible for implying people don’t read, instead of admitting that certain statements can very easily be interpreted in different ways. I stand by my interpretation of the lines above.

Further edit to add: I initially read the description and made my purchase decision based on the Italian version of the store page, which states:

“Grazie alla tecnologia di pixel binning, il nostro nuovo sensore ad alta definizione da 48 megapixel è sempre pronto, ANCHE con una scarsa luminosità.
Qui si uniscono quattro pixel per formare un solo grande superpixel, che cattura quattro volte più luce, ma senza occupare troppo spazio sul tuo telefono (corrisponde a foto da 12 megapixel).”

This text is very clearly (by the use of the word “anche” meaning also, as well) indicating that the pixel binning is only one of multiple operating modes, and that there are indeed 48 MegaPIXELs that one could use.

2 Likes

What you do, especially not related to photo sensors, has no importance here.

This thread has only 21 (now 22) messages, so this aspect is not problematic with the wast majority of the buyers.

Pixel binning is very common in the phone industry.

2 Likes

I mean, the camera of (insert any Fairphone) is already pretty disappointing as it is. I’m using a modded Gcam for my Fairphone 4 which drags the resolution down to a staggering 12 mp, or in some cases 8 mp, yet it makes the pictures look so much better. You may want to consider switching to Gcam as well. It’s nothing more than a bandaid, but at least your pictures will look better.

Well that says it all and it seems you did read it after all and even in Italian
(corrisponde a foto da 12 megapixel).

That you presumed to be able to extract 48MPx from that was an error on your part, although I understand the problem when the camera is advertised as 48MP, many people will think that is pixels i.e. what they can get out.

fair

Unless you see a post from Fairphone i.e. with an [F] at the bottom right of the avatar then the posts are from users.

Clearly it would be nice if Fairphone and other’s clarify this by using the term MPs for the camera sensor array and only use MPx for screen array.
MP > Mega Pixels and Mega Photosites

However this is a quad-bayer from Samsung and if you had read up on what you were buying, as it seems so important, then you would not be complaining.

The title of this topic can be misunderstood as the read camera is both 12MP and 48MP but for the technical person that’s 12MPx from 48MPs

1 Like

You may also benefit from reading more. Once you have used a module, i.e. by inserting in the phone, I’m not sure you can return it as simply as you thought.

• There is no guarantee you haven’t damaged it, why would Fairphone go to all the trouble to test it ~ once you have removed it from it’s packaging.

• You can’t claim it isn’t fit for purpose on the basis that you didn’t read or understand the specs.

• It is not faulty, so no claim there.

In the case of a Cool-off, Fairphone may reduce the refund of the purchase price (including delivery costs) to reflect any reduction in the value of the Products, if this has been caused by your handling them in a way which would not normally be permitted in a shop. This means You are entitled to turn on and inspect Your purchased device to familiarise yourself with its properties and ensure that it is working correctly – comparable to the conditions that are permitted within a shop. If we refund you the price paid, before we are able to inspect the products and later discover you have handled them in an unacceptable way, you must pay us an appropriate amount due to the diminished value of the Products. Please read the Fairphone Terms and Conditions, especially section 9 and 11, for further information.

You may consider poor sales specs i.e. 48MP means 48MPx output, but again that is debatable and not worth the cost in terms of your time I would imagine.

b. If what You have bought is faulty or not as advertised, You may have the legal right to end the contract (clause 13).

1 Like