FP3 lost Google Pay / no longer certified?

I having same problem, i cant make a payment and either download free apps and i using only my creditcard and get “transfer cant be completed/payment failed” it did worked before at start of Feburary and suddenly it worked against and i paid abit, then again it does ot same problem with payment :upside_down_face: and downloads. I havnt touched any “rooted” stuff when i dont have any knownledge of that kind. But mostly using VPN, but did disabled the vpn app and still nothing working yet. (EDIT): i cant either download new updates :S and i have plenty space enough in my fairphone 3

1 Like

Fix doesn’t work for me it clears the message and won’t let me pay similar to other users reports I have reported to support

4 Likes

Today the problem also persisted for me, even after clearing the app storage. I also heard back from support and sent them my info.

1 Like

Please report to Fairphone support so that they can collect as much information on this issue.

You can do this here https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001041206

It may be best to answer these questions as well

3 Likes

My partner has this issue, and he just tried clearing the cache AND uninstalling and reinstalling it. Neither worked. We have reported it to support.

4 Likes

Same issue here. I have reported to support.

1 Like

From support:

“Thank you for your reply and for flagging this issue.
The problem with Google Pay has been identified by our Product Team. They are already working on a new update that will be release as soon as possible and that will solve the issue.”

11 Likes

You beat me to it :stuck_out_tongue:

Was about to post that response haha. Fingers crossed it won’t be long to fix

1 Like

Maybe Fairphone wants to make you use more privacy respecting services? :joy: Just kidding.

2 Likes

Gladly! Is there one with equivalent functionality?

hello,
same issue for me, opened a ticket on FP support 2d ago, no answer so far.
in a way, good to see i am not alone… (thanks Paule for redirecting me here).
hope they will quickly find a solution.
br
Eric (from France)

2 Likes

Nothing more since?

Just got a FP3 and this is very annoying, now I have to carry multiple cards on my person.

2 Likes

It’s barbaric, I know.

3 Likes

Here’s a survival kit for this case :wink:

2 Likes

Deeply so.

Irony aside, I see the issue that the FP3 is toted as having Google Pay but not delivering on it as much worse than having to carry multiple physical cards.

Also, the lack of public communication by the Fairphone team is a bit disconcerting, since breaking SafetyNet principles should be a big deal. I.e. I find the slogans toted on the home page, such as “Reliable, secure and ready to do business” and “The perfect match for your company’s values”, a bit hard to believe when breaking the only really important security framework on Android is no big deal.

(SafetyNet is the API / system / framework behind whether or not apps such as Google Pay run on phones / other devices. Particularly some update for the FP3 seem to have broken CTS reqs. Which is quite a big deal.)

One interesting thing in this is … It doesn’t sound in this topic like this was caused by an update, at least not an OS update by Fairphone. It more sounds like it just stopped working. Some automatic update of the Play Store or some underlying Google service perhaps?
Of course this shouldn’t happen, but here we are. Welcome to tech reality.

If you ask the internet, it is immediately clear this is no singular occurence. This happened for years across devices, even on devices from big players like Samsung. Updates are a factor, of course, because updates can break anything really. But the sudden end of this working was observed, too.

When Fairphone fix this, I hope they will tell us what went wrong. Should be interesting.

Something broke and needs to be fixed. Can happen.

If a car loses a wheel, you wouldn’t say it is touted as having four wheels but not delivering on it … you would say it broke :wink: .

(Even if I find that way of describing an issue really melodious and will excessively use that from now on, Thanks.
“This USB stick is touted as being writable to but not delivering on it.” … Ah, the possibilities.)

It quite literally broke overnight. I made a transaction on the 29th Feb, 1st March it stopped working and I had a notification on my phone overnight

1 Like

I have to agree with the others that this seems more like a change in the app than an error by Fairphone.

Of course it’s possible Fairphone had a timeframe to fix something but didn’t and Google pulled the plug, but that’d just be pure speculation.

FWIW, NFC still works with my bank (bunq).

And I always need to carry multiple cards: 1) ID 2) OV Chipkaart (bit tricky to clone) 3) …

I do carry bank card anyway, in case I lose/break my phone.

That is not what I think either, as I implied, I think FP skirted some corners. The issue is with CTS (specifics here), which is basically a test procedure for phone software providers. If the procedures are not followed by FP Google withdraws the profiles.

Another explanation would be if Google has internal issues with CTS, although I find that highly unlikely since then many more phone / devices would have CTS troubles.

Tech reality to me is when the UI of Word or Gmail breaks, not when entire security verification procedures indicate that they have been done sloppily.

An issue with Google Pay (as I understand “the app”) would manifest differntly in my experience, for example if Google Pay and CTS had some errors more devices would encounter these issues. The FP3 CTS issues arrived at the same time as Google seemed to apply thumbscrews to Magisk (see here) to avoid modified devices being CTS / SafetyNet verified.

I.e., in my view much more likely that FP skirted CTS procedures since their previous processes “worked”, and did not follow a procedural change withing the allotted time frame.

2 Likes