FP3 lost Google Pay / no longer certified?

Clearing device storage (add data+cache) solved the problem.

I have the same issue again this morning.

So not a permanent solution. Will see what Fairphone say when they respond

4 Likes

Same for me. Hope they work it out.

Iā€™ve reset the data again on the app and seems to have cleared the message again. Will try a contactless payment while out today to see if it allows them. If so a temp solution might have to be to reset it daily :frowning:

1 Like

Note to self: Only this morning I got that notification, too. I also deleted data for the Google Pay app and the error is gone.

Thanks for letting me know how to deal with this issue in advance.

1 Like

Wild guess: Could this be related to this yearā€™s leap day? (29 February)

4 Likes

Also, everyone should report the bug on the Fairphone support page.

2 Likes

I got this notification at the weekend. Like others, I cleared the cache, re-opened Google Pay, and all was fine.

However today I tried to make a payment in my regular cafe, and it didnā€™t work - my Fairphone said ā€œyou canā€™t do Google Pay on this deviceā€ (or similar - I didnā€™t have long to see the message) and the terminal refused payment. After I paid with a card, I checked my phone. Google Pay app does not show the payment that did not work, and it also doesnā€™t show the notification about software any more. But payments are not working.

Google Pay says to check your phone is Play Protect certified. (Google Play app -> menu -> Play Protect). My phone says ā€œlooks fineā€.

So thereā€™s still an issueā€¦
added: some people suggested it might be that you need to clear cache each day. so today I cleared Google Pay cache and data, then tried another payment - also failed.

3 Likes

The problem has recurred this morning so the fix is certainly temporary, if it works at all. Like others, I submitted an online help form to Fairphone e. However, I have had no respomse so far, and no response on this forum either. Come on Fairphone, where are you?

2 Likes

That works! Thank you

All kudos should go to Chris since it was his idea to clear the cache.

@Chris_R did you get any feedback from support?

Unfortunately for me clearing cache and data did not work at all. I also tried to factory reset as Google help recommended but without success.
I thought that it could be caused by deactivating some pre-installed Google apps but that changed nothing. For now Iā€™m considering some alternatives that do not rely on Google like Garmin pay for example.

Same here. Unfortunately, Google Pay seems to be the only provider which enables me to use PayPal. My bank (Triodos) is not supported by other payment apps / providers.

I think, this is not a Google Pay issue. As stated before, Safeteynet Test fails ā€œCTS Profile matchā€ā€¦ This also affects other Appsā€¦ Netflix disappeared from the Playstore for me. Pokemon Go should also not be able to run.

This is a major issue imhoā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, I get a failed CTS profile match as well. This happened completely out of the blueā€¦

Make sure youā€™re logging any and all issues with support that way they know the impact and we can hopefully get a swift response

5 Likes

Could be. My initial wild guess was the Letā€™s Encrypt bug which got uncovered. But thatā€™d explain the reset happening once, and Iā€™m not sure Google uses LE, and Iā€™m not sure the dates add up either.

The response from support

Thank you for contacting us and for supporting Fairphone.

We received seemingly similar customer complaints with this specific issue.
Our Product Team is currently investigating the root of this issue with Google Pay.

To help them solve the issue as fast as possible, if not specified before, we kindly ask you to provide the following details:

1. In which country are you experiencing this issue?
  2. Which one is your network operator? If you are using two sim cards, please provide both details.
  3. Have you ever unlocked the bootloader?
3 Likes

Everyone affected please make sure to answer Fairphone Support directly in your existing support request, not here. Support wonā€™t dig through this topic or others in the forum.

5 Likes

Thanks - I should have said that lol

Has anyone ever had the bootloader unlocked? I havenā€™t to my knowledge, but I have had developer options enabled, and may have had usb debugging enabled at one point (but canā€™t remember), although none are enabled now.