FP3 lost Google Pay / no longer certified?

Thanks for the background links!

I didn’t know about Magisk; “systemless” rooting would be an attractive option if I wanted to root. A pity Google clamped down on it; assuming it didn’t have security issues of its own.

To avoid confusion, my theory is that the CTS verification procedures changed, and all device manufacturers had prior notice of upcoming changes, but not all (including FP) actually did the required changes.

So, from the perspective of SafetyNet / Google, there is no difference between a “clean” FP3 with old verification procedures and a rooted device trying to imitate a “clean FP3” (with, for example, Magisk).

And for avoidance of doubt, this is mostly theorising and speculation. Albeit feasible ones.

Any others who having troubles with updating apps or downloading apps to iphone 3 from googleplay store?

:wave:

Netflix, Banking App …

1 Like

… and yes, I’m ranting - finally get to report this issue after again putting my groceries back… Becomes clear how hard it apparently is to make a reliable phone, and how amazingly good other companies are at it… Hrmpf–

Hey. I’ve been using Google Pay exclusively since I got the phone for NFC chip payments in stores. Suddenly it stopped working, telling me my phone is rooted, which it isn’t. I tried re-installing, clearing data, removing and adding card, nothing helps. Screenshot attached.

Please look into this. My phone is my primary method of payment.

Also. Please. PLEASE - when I’m already logged in, don’t ask me for Shop Order Number and IMEI again… You send me this phone, you know the details…

2 Likes

Really now …
Google Pay trouble with Samsung
Google Pay trouble with Huawei
Google Pay trouble with Xiaomi

Hmmm … Oppo looking rather unsuspicious in comparison :slight_smile: .

Totally rely on such features at your own peril. Not only can such services fail (also on the receiving end at where you want to pay), any phone can fail in general at any time.
Be sensible and smart and have a plan B.

4 Likes

The phone is the Plan B! Usually the AI recognizes my face, commits fractions of valuable organs to Jeff Bezos, and I just walk out of the store!
(jk…for now.)

I also have this issue but when i went to clear storage on the Gogle Pay app i find I don’t have google pay installed. This is confusing as the default tap and pay app is listed as Google Pay, This was working fine until recently

I use Revolut for payments

Sorry, why are you using Google Pay? Why do you believe that this community forum is the place to rant about a product which is failing for you? You should contact Google support or Fairphone support. Google support, for their software, is atrocious when you are the product (hint: usually, you are the product).

For me, bunq (banking app) with NFC works perfectly fine. I use it regularly. Prime, Netflix, all still work, and they use WideVine DRM.

Hey. Guys. Sorry about my rant. I’m obviously super aware that there are other methods of payment. No need for more posts about that.

Google Pay is the only android phone payment option available by my bank, and it worked flawlessly on my previous phones. It was reliable, so I got to rely on it, not hauling my ancient wallet with me.

I really, really want the fairphone to be a commercial succes, and I’m telling everyone who cares to listen about it. Should I lie to my friends and say that its been a journey without multible unresolved headaches? I don’t think so.

Thank you for your comments and for forgiving me my frustrations.

1 Like

I would guess we at least need patience to get it solved. Have you contacted Fairphone? Google? Are you sure there are no digital alternatives?

Yeah same as many on here: my Google Pay just suddenly stopped working at around the beginning of the month.
I blame Corona

The problem is NOT that Google Pay doesn’t work, it is just a side effect. The problem is, that an important part of the phones security (safeteynet) is broken at the moment for a significant number of users…

Fairphone should at least inform the customers.

2 Likes

Indeed. Which indicates that someone has made more than one mistake somewhere.

OK so it has been a minute and the problem still persists. In fact, it has gotten worse unless I am missing something. Just tried to download the netflix app, which I had in the past but stopped using about two to three months ago, and I am told that my relatively new smartphone that cost me over four hundred euro, is not compatible with one of, if not the most well known online streaming services on the internet. As someone who likes fairphone and has been following them for years, this is pathetic. If fairphone want to keep growing market share they need to get a handle on this and fast. I have been putting up with my SD card randomly ejecting while listening to music and podcasts and just got on with it, not complaining. Then the google pay nonsense started and I got a little frustrated. This is something else. This is something low end chinese handsets suffer from. Hopefully one of you can point out some idiocy on my own part here so I can then rub the egg off my face, download the app and get on with my day only slightly embarrassed.

No breaking news. Netflix not downloable via play store was mentioned by me earlier in this thread. This affects ALL apps that rely on a working safeteynet.

BUT this is not a “chinese crap phone problem”. If you have a look at xda-developers or google, you will see, that this happened to major brands as Samsung, Sony and a few others in the past.

Update: you can get the official netflix apk for installing without play store from here: https://netflixhelp.s3.amazonaws.com/netflix-4.16-200217-release.apk

1 Like

It looks like Google changed lots in safetynet, which lead to breakage left and right. See also post from magisk (https://www.xda-developers.com/magisk-no-longer-hide-bootloader-unlock-status/)

1 Like

My bad. Didn’t read the thread carefully enough before posting. Just annoyed. I take the point that other phones have experienced these problems also but it is not flagship phones. It looks to be the less profitable ones. Samsung is so well known for failing to keep up with software updates they have successfully been sued by governments for it. It is always the low end handsets, not the flagships. Fairphone only has three phones to manage and this is its flagship device suffering this problem. I don’t think there is any excuse here. This should not be happening to a relatively new flagship device and it looks bad for the brand going forward. They really need to get this sorted for their reputation.
Thanks for the download link. I got the app installed but it still is not supported.

Do you have verification that Google messed up? Or did FP simply just ignore upcoming changes?

I wouldn’t say Google messed up. They changed safetynet to include information from the bootloader, which might be differently implemented with fp. In fact, if i understood the discussion in the development threads correctly, the cryptographic security mechanisms on the fp might not be implemented correctly. Like for other phones also, where this happened. Also, even with no updates available, I’m not surprised Samsung still works, as with knox and these mechanisms those phones are really locked down…

1 Like