FP3 blinks red fast, doesn't charge (in Costa Rica)

If the cable is broken, you should try a different one.

Put it in again.

The reason for removing the battery is to ensure the phone is off before trying to charge it, as in the very poor state when the phone screen is black it may be hard to tell if it is locked, off or ‘really’ off.

That’s a bit of a worry :slight_smile:

I can imagine! U didn’t choose to use this one I am in quite a hard Situation without mit normal cable and yeah we’ll see

I’ve tried putting it in and out and it did not Work. Next, can i try to charge it over a long Time?

If you are talking about the battery

• You remove it to ensure the phone is off
  • You put the battery back but do not try and start the phone.
  • Charge for at least six hours, maybe overnight

The battery will take a long time to recover from being at 1% that’s if

• The cable and the charger are fine
  • The battery is OK ~ try getting it charged elsewhere
  • The bottom module is OK
  • The core module is OK

I will try it thank you.

1 Like

Thank you guys, it seems to work again. Gat my good cable again and it es now over 10%. Next time I will bei mire careful thank you for helping!!

Sorry there Is a new Problem. I have got 30% and again, it won’t charge again. The orange light is on but not the charging sign. What can I do?

Sounds like dirty USB port or cable issues

Bad Update: After trying again, my USB entrance and Cable started to smell like Smoke and the Cable got really hot ._. As you can imagine I am now really clueless and my question Is: If I dont get this fixxed, how can I get a new FP3-Part (top module or what is IT?) to COSTA RICA??

At this point I would stop using the USB port to avoid potential further damage to the phone.

To get by for the moment, there are external universal smartphone battery chargers, here’s an example … External universal chargers for Fairphone batteries … but there are many more of them, you just have to make sure that the charging contacts are slim enough to make contact with the Fairphone 3/3+ battery contacts.

The USB connector is in the Bottom Module.
You could ask vendors who ship internationally, like e.g. Vireo … https://www.vireo.de/smartphones-zubehoer/fairphone/ersatzteile/8762/fairphone-3-und-3-bottom-modul … (clove.co.uk doesn’t list the Bottom Module currently, it seems).

Hi Henns

this indeed doesn´t sound good at all.
I can´t say what caused this. Sounds like and overvoltage on the cable/module.
But just in case you can notice that the battery module now starts to behave strange and/or blows up a little: Take it off the device and place it at a firesafe place outside the house. Inside a metal box for example.
Don´t want to be a doomsayer but in case the battery module took harm by whatever cause this heat (so that you can smell something) it can get dangerous and cause a metal burning that can´t be fought with usual fire-extinguishers

But please: Don´t panic :wink:
If there´s nothing suspicious going on with the battery please ignore my advice.

Best
DonFnord

If the cable got hot ??

Debris may have been in the port and shorted it. Some sand, volcanic can have a lot of metal and such in the port will be an issue.

With all the ideas you have been given you haven’t clarified what you have done. Some of the main ones were a) clean the port b) try a new cable and charger.

1 Like

To “normal” Computer etc shops sell them or would I probably have to order one (I will try buy one anyway but what are the chances?)?

What should I use to Clean it?

I guess it would depend on how many phones with removable batteries are around in the region. If almost all batteries aren’t removable, there would be no point for a shop to keep something like this in stock.

1 Like

The USB port ?

• get a magnifying glass and use a small piece of wire, or a needle and be careful
  • You can dismantle the bottom module to effect a better clean.
  • you can use alcohol to clean out oily grime, best use 60% or more, Isopropyl Alcohol is sold for such at 90% +

Ideally if carry out any of the recommended options relay what you have done else everything may be repeated.

1 Like

Hello guys, it’s me from a different account now. I’ve left my fairphone for several months now and i finally want to fix it now. The Last update from April: it did not charge properly, smelled like smoke once and when trying to charge, blinks red rapidly. Havent touched it because didnt want to make anything worse. Now I’m in Germany so I’m able to order new modules or whatever.

Question for those who maybe have read my problem: am I supposed to try charge it for hours or am I better off buying a new charging (bottom ?) module ? Or have you got other suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Check your battery if it is swollen. If yes, stop using it immediately.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.