FP2: Teardown & Reassemble Competition!

Yes, now it works like a charm. :smile:

2 Likes

Hi FP community,
I’m facing the same problem and stopped trying it for now. Any more hints how to “easily” release the screen?
Special points where to push or where to massage? :wink:

1 Like

I tried to lift the screen with no success.
After that i read the manual (wow :slight_smile: and l watched a video that you have to slide the display part.

1 Like

I wanted to show my brother, how “easy” the fairphone can be opened, so I tried to release the screen… and after nearly 45 seconds I made it.

It’s still not easy at all, but possible - with some “training”.

1 Like

I also have a “feeling glued on” screen. Have been pressing and pulling it for an hour now, hands all messed up, and videos of people removing much easier to remove screens don’t really help. I hope the display isn’t broken when I turn it back on… Pretty disappointed at this, I have to say.

2 Likes

I finally got it and will share my “technique”.

After pushing and pulling here and there and loosening things a little already, I carefully pushed a knife’s blade :warning: { see note}* into the crack between the display module and the main body. I did this several times all the way around the phone. I also moved the knife a little to widen the crack in order to loosen the grip of the plastic studs. Make sure not to move too far so as not to break the studs and don’t cut into the display material. I have no idea whether this step was helpful and am aware of the risk, but I wanted to include it here anyway.

Then I held the phone between my legs the way shown in the picture. Do this with relatively sweaty hands :slight_smile: in order to maximize friction. Your left hand’s finger tips should rest against the plastic edge in front of the SIM card slots and push them upwards (in the direction of the camera). This will hurt a little due to the fact that the plastic edge is sharp. Also be careful not to let your fingers slip and push the SIM card slots themselves, which could damage them. This push, together with the grip of your left hand on the rest of the main body (pushing upward) and your sweaty right hand pushing the display downward (into the direction of the micro USB port) should do the trick.

:warning: {*} [note moderator Lidwien] Please don’t use a knife, it’s to sharp. You could damage the phone and yourself. Use a guitar pick or something simelar instead.

6 Likes

Successfully beheaded my phone, thx!
(reattaching also successful)

4 Likes

Wohoo! Finally! Screen off for the first time ever today :smile:
Massaged to open :wink:

2 Likes

Ok so I disassembled the Phone today and reassembled it without front-camera, back-camera & microphone modules.

As you can see the phone works without those modules.

12 Likes

@paulakreuzer: Did you do this out of “idle curiosity” or due to security concerns?

1 Like

Just curiosity, although someone else already did it.

1 Like

You really should not use this technique.

Especially with sweaty hands you are very likely to damage the metal parts. Do not put fingers or part of your hand against the SIM slots.

The best part to put some pressure if you have to is between the camera module and the speaker.

3 Likes

Actually I tried this with a prototype 2 somewhere begin December because we received questions about this from other customers. Works like a charm, although I don’t recommend it. All of a sudden your phone is not that safe against dust anymore…

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I actually meant the plastic edges right in front of the SIM card slots. That’s why I clarified that they are sharp.

Believe me, douwe, new FP2s are locked down like a bank safe. You need somewhere to put pressure on in order to open them… I’ll edit my post to say that readers should be careful.

1 Like

I can confirm this. For me it was really not at all possible without additional utilities.

I pushed and pulled, massaged and tried to loosen, but nothing got me any further. I then pushed a guitar pick (got the idea from here and here and to me it seemed more gentle than a knife) into the crack you mentioned and “rolled” it (worked better than sliding) along the sides of the phone (by rotating it parallel to the phone’s screen, i.e. in the plane of the phone) from top left to bottom left and from top right to bottom right edge. Needed a bit pressure and slow rotation to avoid the pick jumping out (several attempts).

Doing this once was enough to then disassemble the screen very easily by the “magic move” (as shown in the Webinar video by Miquel or as described in the iFixit tutorial). No need to widen the crack (I’d be a bit afraid to do so and would suggest to be careful if this is necessary).

Btw, after reassambling, the second, third etc. disassembling worked very easily. Just do the “magic move”. :wink:

6 Likes

For help disassembling the screen please continue here:

If anybody really wants to take part in the competition send me a PM and I’ll reopen the topic.

Hi @Hamm325,

for you this “technique” worked, but I strongly recommend others NOT to use a knife or other sharp objects to seperate the screen from the rest of the phone!
Sharp objects may damage the phone and I do not think that such damages are covered by any warrenty!

If the screen does not come off, check if you removed the battery and only use your hands to separate the screen. For other parts only use a screwdriver.

A good way I is to put the phone between both open hands and softly shift them in opposite ways (make sure that you opened the blue clips on the bottom of the phone and that you removed the battery before)

1 Like

Instead of a knife use a guitar pick!

4 Likes

Is anyone thinking of submitting an entry to the competition since we’ve probably been able to take the screens off by now?