FP2 Battery Problems (drains quickly, CPU gets hot) - See batteryguide for workarounds

Actually, I was wondering if the procedure described to kickstart the battery is such a good idea.
I read once (can’t recall now the source) that deep discharging of Li-ion batteries may cause their death, and following the here described procedure (discharging to 0%) would be a deep discharge, right?
I found that article after my notebook battery (Li-ion) died - apparently because I deep discharged it.

Because the title of the thread implies that the battery gets hot, I am wonder if it really is the battery?

OK thanks for all your input…

There’s something really wrong with my phone as it also reboots several times a day…

Support is sending me a new phone so I hope all will be good… I would really like to understand what happened though… In order to know if there’s a way to prevent future problems.

3 Likes

I think you are right in general. But I also think it is a difference if you drain the battery controled for some seconds/minutes to 0% and directly start to charge, or if you let your battery die for some weeks by self-discharge…but it’s just a guess.

I think we can conclude, that for all reported problems here, “only” the phone is hot, not the battery itself.
If it is located under the written text “yours to open, Yours to keep” of the FP2 back, it is for sure “only” the CPU unit.
Then you should look in the software for a bad app, which keeps the CPU busy, whats results in hot CPU and fast draining of the battery, thus short lifetime (as expected under “full load”!).

@evidemment
Gave you a try to disassmble and reassembe all easy parts to teardown and check? Maybe just a loosen contact somewhere?

3 Likes

I changed the title again.

I have no problems with my phone rebooting. I have had the screen freezed once, but that was the first day and never since.

I think my screen is making the battery drain. How long can you other people use your phone with teh screen lit? With an hour of surfing on the lowest brightness, it is down 30 percents. Maybe it is normal?

I would like to share my battery’s experience (to be precise, I have activated battery saver during the night).
I experience some problems about the % calculated at low battery for 2 days now. Has someone experienced this kind of problem?
I’ve noticed that Wi-Fi has consumed 10% of the battery but Wi-Fi wasn’t activated at all during this cycle, so I don’t undestand this matter…

Does anyone who have more information Arion about batteries have any idea if this is a sign of a system fault that is draining the battery? Or if some of us have got broken batteries?
What do the community think?

Ps
About the WiFi consuming battery when it is not on, I have figured out that you have to go into the settings of “advanced for wifi” (search for it in the settings) and you have to turn it off there too.

1 Like

After this nights charging, the battery drains faster than ever. And I am no longer able to see proper stats from the battery… Broken battery? What do you think from my attached images?

(also notice the “-18” mark in the upper left corner. Sweden is really on the north pole)

Whats after reboot and some waiting time?

Things are getting worse… Phone is very hot… and it’s the second time today I charge it because it was close to 2%… :weary:

I really can’t figure out that is causing this…

And now it rebooted… I’m going back to my FP1 while waiting for remplacement…

A replacement phone gets priority at the distributing centre for shipping off. Although Fairphone can’t speed up the actual time the courier needs to get to your door.
I hope so that you have better experiences with your replacement phone.

1 Like

I hope… I hate this…

I’m trying something… I removed SD card and both SIM cards and I’m charging the battery. I’ll check if and how my phone’s behaviour changes.

1 Like

OK battery fully charged and this is what I get (still no SD card nor SIM card in the phone) … Pretty weird!

Your battery calculates the remaining time on your previous use.
If you check your battery again, say at 21:30 hours, good chance that the remaining time is longer.

It seems to me I’ve had a similar problem (even though I couldn’t tell wether it was the CPU or the SIM area that was getting very hot). I’ve done a kickstart to the battery + clean and replace the SIM and I’m good now. Might help ?

OK after one night without using the phone (obviously) and without SIM card nor SD card in… Phone is not hot and this is what I get…

So I’ll put one SIM card in and see what happens…

Since this morning my FP2 doesnt’t work any more.
It was charging over night.
At first, the screen was pixeled and hanging, after that I restarted the phone and I noticed that the area above the battery was very very hot.
The phone restarted and optimized all apps (???) and then I got the pixeled screen again.
I tested to get the phone starting again, but only small vibrations and sometimes a pixeled screen flash.
I charged the phone a long time, but I couldn’t start it again.

I’m very disappointed at the moment and trying to find the issue and start it again.
More than vibrations or pixeled screen flash I couldn’t get since two hours…