FP2 - 8MP camera OV8865

Ok! Thanks!

Well,

I found a work-around for the missing 16:9 HD option.

There is a camera app called “Camera MX”. In this, under

settings (3 dots)-> settings

you can choose maximum 4:3 resolution. Then, under

settings (3dots) → Photo resolution

you can choose 4:3, 16:9 or 1:1. 16:9 gives you a resolution of 3264x1836 pixels.

Well, it is a workaround for now. It would be cool if we had that resolution available for all cameras. As video resolutions can be set in

/system/etc/media_profiles.xml

there should be a another config file giving more resolutions for pictures as well. I haven’t found any yet, but that’s what I hope for…

3 Likes

This is probably a software issue. Typically, sensors are more of a 4:3 then a 16:9 format, so essentially setting to 16:9 does nothing more the “cropping” the image for you. Therefore, smartphones typically only reach their max resolution in 4:3 aspect ratio. For my current Sony, it is 23MP vs 20MP.

Therefore, one the Fairphone, 8MPs are only achieved in 4:3. However, the maximum resolution in 16:9
should be 3264x1836, e.g. 6MP. I do not see any reason why the sensor should not be capable of this and I would be very suprised if it was impossible to fix this in software.

2 Likes

Disappointed with the camera quality so far, to the extent that consider either ideally a software fix, or else (disappointingly due to the waste) a hardware fix is necessary.

Noted the Wired review described the camera as being similar to that found on low to mid range devices, which given that the FP2 was supposed to be a quality phone, is surprising and again dissapoiting.

1 Like

It’s a modular phone, so I guess there will be a hardware fix in the future.

1 Like

I’ve used the camera on a Oneplus 2, and it is excellent. If there were to be a new FP2 module that had that camera (and there are signs a new module is coming, like the article here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/smart-covers-new-cameras-where-the-worlds-most-ethical-smartphone-goes-next/) it would certainly be a big positive for the FP2 when I need a new phone. The current camera quality does put me off getting an FP2.

2 Likes

There are pretty nice photos in this thread:

Also this one has good Fairphone 2 photos:

1 Like

Thanks for that link @Ben2014.
Very important and interesting news (new camera, new covers, smart covers, reuse of the FP2 platform)

But : HOW COMES that we have to learn this info from ZDNET website ??

I feel we all have been left aside on that one… Didn’t expect that, from the usual respect and care FP is giving its users community.

2 Likes