Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

Just adding that the terms & conditions specify the prize as

Fairphone products with an estimated value of €700.00

(plural; emphasis mine). September also to be found in T & C.

15 Likes

Just got a mail about it :wink:

Just a quick guess: but I don’t have a need for a Tablet

3 Likes

When i click the link in the mail i get a “404 Not Found” error

5 Likes

But the email link and a POST request after submitting the form gives a 404. Was Fairphone management fair to their developers in the time given to test this? :wink:

8 Likes

There are 404 errors all over the Fairphone site right now for me.
Marketing team: Let’s send out this great teaser for our upcoming announcement - it will make a splash.
Tech support team: Let’s patch and reboot the web servers first. Oh dang, you made the announcement already?
:crazy_face:

11 Likes

Either a mini or a tablet (‘maxi’) or both.

I’m saving for a Steam Deck right now, so unfortunately gotta pass this for now either way.

1 Like

What’s coming is a price reduction of the Fairphone 3 (not 3+) to 349,- EUR to clear out remaining stock.

The mystery prize then will be 2 of those. Congratulations :slight_smile: !

10 Likes

For great stereo effect telephony :+1:

8 Likes

404 now on the ‘Something is coming’ link (edited for clarity / historical correctness: wasn’t yet the case for me when JanW wrote their post)

1 Like

Like @JanW wrote, you’ll get 404 even for the main page fairphone.com, right now.

I hope the announcement will concern the FP4 !
I promised myself to replace my FP2 only by a FP4 but I’m starting to lose patience :disappointed_relieved:

7 Likes

Hi Pierre

There was near 4 years between the FP2 and FP3 and a year between FP3 and FP3+ which was less than a year ago, so you may have a bit of a wait.

8 Likes

Which is actually an advantage from ethical consumer perspective :slight_smile:

5 Likes

FP2 → december 2015
New photo modules for FP2 → august 2017
FP3 → september 2019
New photo modules for FP3 → august 2020

FP4 pre-order for the second quarter of 2022? Let me dream ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

BTW, the main page is back up, now, and the link from the email went all the way up from 404 to 504 :grinning:

4 Likes

I’m a little unsure if it really is an advantage when there are 4 years between two Fairphone models (and IIRC the FP3 was delayed and should have been released earlier ending in a situation where the company had nothing to sell during several months of 2019).

My assumption (but no idea if it holds) would be that people interested in Fairphone would not replace their phone if the next model came out after 2 years.

But on the other hand, personally, I wouldn’t have bought an FP2 early 2019. When people’s phones break and the only option with Fairphone is to buy 3 year old hardware (and not-very-long software support as it is counted from initial release not time of purchase) my fear is that a lot will go for an un-fair device again.

16 Likes

I agree, Fairphone 3 is still young but a lot of people are waiting for a new Fairphone because it feels weird to buy a 3-year old phone.
I would bet on a new module for Fairphone 3. Maybe a new Core module?
My first thought was another type of device like a laptop, a smartwatch or a tablet, but after some time, I really think a new core module could boost Fairphone sales and satisfy old customers.

1 Like

3-year old? Not 2-year old?
I would definitely buy it but I’m waiting for my current phone to crash :smiley:

3 Likes

These things came to my mind when reading about the novelty:

First thought: Oh, finally there is Android 11 rolling out!
Second thought: No, they will not charge 700€ for it.

First thought: Oh, they are doing a FP4?
Second thought: The software team is very busy and sometimes struggling with Android upgrades and updates. Hard to believe they will add another phone now to make them even more busy.
And if there really will be a FP4: Please keep the multicolor notification LED!

First thought: Oh, there will be an OLED-screen replacement for the FP3?
Second thought: Yeah, that would be great! But not for 700€.

First thought: Oh, they are going to sell a tablet?
Second thought: Ok, I don’t need a tablet. But would be interesting if the company will rename to Fairtablet instead of Fairphone :wink:

18 Likes

Oh yes, 2, you’re right!

1 Like