Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

A core module, in my opinion, is not going to happen. From a legal point of view the “core” (mainboard with SoC, memory and everything else) IS the phone. With IMEI, certifications and all the other legal stuff.

And think about the users, buying a new core module: “Oh, I just changed the core module and now all of my data and apps are gone?! WTF?!”

Really see no chance that this is going to happen.

7 Likes

You are completely right. Didn’t think about that.

1 Like

Just opened the email-link, no problem occurred…

1 Like

From Does the FP2 with android 9 upgrade get security updates? - #7 by ontheair

Fairphone said that the FP2 will not get another version upgrade, so Android 9 will be the last official Android version.

As far as I remember they did not really say anything about how long they will provide security updates. But I guess there will be security updates as long as Google will provide them. This should be until September 2022, then Android 9 will be EOL (according to several online sources).

Imho it could be a new device. But which technical features would it have? Maybe it could be comparable to an unfair produced phone costing 450€.

How would that be fair?? paying wages is the only cost.

1 Like

Nope. Using environment saving processes costs, too. Read the company documentation for more details…

2 Likes

Going off topic

A process is a human activity ~ hence more wages. The sun, air, water and earth are free but if you can’t do it yourself you pay someone or bully them to get some and manufacture your wants.
Fair trade is about not bullying people to exploit the the environment so wages is the only concern.

Back to topic: How any of this relates to (novelties) I don’t know.

The only idea is that someone thought it a novel idea that the Fairphone could have the same specs and price as other phones. That will only happen when everyone gets Fair treatment for the work they do.

My argument is that it is not going to happen and I’m prepared to pay twice or thrice to ensure those doing the dirty work ~ fair wages ~ and I’m not sure even that is happening.

So it would be novel to see fairer trade but if you pay people too much they won’t do the work ~ so it’s never going to happen, but it doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing as the whole idea is to encourage the consumer to be more responsible in their demands.

It’s not a novel idea to be fair, that’s why we have legislation because most people don’t give a second thought to the suffering or others ~ which is bad for global business and dire for the individual that has a soul.

3 Likes

An industrial process must not mean human activity, hence no secure connection to wages of people. Producing electricity by solar power doesn’t mean you need more people then in a brown coal power station.

If the FP2 won’t get security updates for sure after 2022 by fairphone (but maybe by e.g. LineageOS), the software team from fairphone would have spare time for security updates of a new phone.

But you are here and discussing it. The topic seems to be important to you, even if you don’t see it on your own, if the Fairphone is fairer.

Besides the (in my opinion) rather minor possibility, that FP is presenting a new device.
There might be new accessories; like, weren’t they looking into new headphones?

But maybe they are partnering up with some telecom company to offer special contracts (e.g. using eco-friendly energy, CO2 neutral) or something in that direction.
The price could be a Fairphone with a one or two years contract (or just a contract).

I just have my doubts, that Fairphone has had the means in the last years to develop something like a tablet. And while they are for sure busy working on the FP4, they - imho - won’t present it this way and that soon after releasing the FP3+.

Therefore I would think in the direction ob business development/partnership/… Something more intellectual property than hardware oriented.

But I can be totally wrong of course.
:wink:

4 Likes

As the tweet video said “The ________ that can change a whole industry” I am thinking this is not a new device but maybe some

• new component
  • new process
  • new way of using recycled material

As for the 700€ I guess it doesn’t necessarily have to be new stuff…

I continue to disagree. You cannot have an industrial process without miners getting the raw material. Raw materials for solar power and li-ion batteries require high end materials and manufacturing which require people who want more so you have to pay them more.

Industrial processes are human processes, they don’t happen on their own like fusion in the sun.

END of argument Bye :slight_smile:

But fusion is a process. The term process has nothing to do with if there is human activity involved or not

1 Like

Definitely OFF Topic

Yes I did say that it was ??

. . . processes, . . . . like fusion …

The context of the word ‘process’ was

which is human design.

However the word ‘process’ requires that there is a defined, if not achieved outcome, which requires design. I see no evidence that the sun was actually designed, but remain open to the idea :slight_smile:

Further the word is only applied to a non human design where the human see change, so it is the ‘seeing’ of the change in the eyes of the observer that defines something as a process. When there is no thought about future gain and life is not about consumerism then although there may be change there is no concept of process as their is no design.

Ok I’d better get back to the weeding to, to my minimal processing by design :grin:

All the best to novelty, each moment is new.

I very much disagree here, since then sentences like “there are still many processes going on in the universe that we don’t know about yet” would make zero sense. But yeah, that’s very much off topic.

1 Like

Fairphone moved their headquarters. I hope the new office is climate-neutral.
That would be a good novelty for me.

4 Likes

Yes it makes zero sense, ‘we can imagine a process that exists in time but not in the space we inhabit’ It makes sense that we can ‘imagine’ a soul and in doing so create one :slight_smile:

Zero sense is not a novel idea, but the greatest of ideas, the immortal logic that requires no future and no resources yet exists and grows.

So where do the Fairphoners go from here, what other Fair endeavours can be taken onboard, maybe a smaller phone using less material and more module up-gradability like the frame.work computer. But that isn’t exactly.

So is the topic about new toys as in ‘shop novelties’ or about new ways of producing with fairer trade ~ I didn’t see any upgrade to that part of Fairphoneness. Maybe the idea of adding speedy support, now that would be novel ~ well for Fairphone.

I can survive without a phone but not without the notion of caring ~ absolute sense but zero likelihood.

We shouldn’t rely on a company to show fairness. It is on anyone of us to be fair if there is a desire to explore the beautiful processes imagined into being.

If the T & C didn’t state “Fairphone products”, I’d think a Roetz bike could be the “mystery prize worth €700” (again – a Fairphone-styled Roetz bike was a Fairphone contest prize before).

6 Likes

It could be a notebook or a tablet with keyboard.

For me it’s the other way: I hope I can still use my FP2 for one or two years - and then switch to the brandnew FP4+

2 Likes

Perhaps it is a new USB Type-C capable of USB 3.0 support.

3 Likes