Fairphone 5 freezes repeatedly

I’m having the exact same issue as you guys, although I don’t get it too often, maybe once a week.
I don’t have 5G at my carrier, so I wonder if it would fix anything, but I will try that.
On the other hand, I was always able to reboot my phone by holding just the power button for a long time, I wasn’t even aware of the volume down thing. I think it is not needed for a reboot…

My experience says that sometimes it’s necessary, sometimes it isn’t (have a look around this forum so you’ll notice that)…

Screen of FP 5 is black. Haptic feedback and sounds are there. Had the same a time ago, now again. Even can’t switch it off because switching off without display is not possible. What a cruel…!!

2 months old, > 700 Euro. Thats not what I expect. Cant tell how much I am disappointed.

What can I do?

1 Like

You can reboot by long pressing the power button or just take out the battery.

And well electronic devices can freeze everytime for whatever reason, things happen.

There are a few reports try to turn off auto-rotate

After knocking the phone on the table few times the display appeared again. I mean: are you serious? Is this the quality you offer???

You? We are users like you, else read my edit above.

1 Like

Ah, ok, I thought it’s maybe a customer-care-forum moderated by Fairphone. So it’s more a “we-leave-our-customers-alone-forum”.

It’s not a software-freeze. As long as haptic feedback and sounds work in incoming calls ring, I am sure that this is a physical issue, like the display loses the electric contact or so. Further a software freeze wouldn’t react by knocking the phone on the table. It seems to me that this is a leck of physical quality.

Turining off auto-rotate: thanks for the idea, but… well, how can I on a black display?

Now that the dispaly works again (don’t know for how long) I was able to find out the IMEI and with that I was able to contact the support. Thanks anyway for trying to help!

I moved you posts over hear, read this probably

I have this issue as well. It’s an annoying issue, I agree. I also had it during an important Teams call. But it doesn’t really help to put so much emotion in your feedback. It’s a technical problem that requires a technical solution. I had this issue maybe 3 times in the few months I have this device. It’s not great, indeed. But let’s not pollute this thread with personal attacks. It won’t help.

I’m not sure if this thread it got merged in is the same issue. A general freeze of the screen is I think a different issue than the one where the screen doesn’t turn on but haptic feedback is still working. In one case the phone is unresponsive while the screen is frozen. The other case the screen is disabled, but still responses.

2 Likes

Based on that it is the same, so…

1 Like

That topic describes the issue indeed better and isn’t that general. Maybe move that new comment to that thread?

That thread was closed as you can see, as the OP stated its the same. So could we please stop discussing this here. Thanks

I don’t think it will make it easier for your fellow mods to have such a general topic about something actually very specific. I expect this topic will merge into other “sudden freeze” issues and people may not know they are actually talking about different things, but just assume they do.

Those having difficulty sometimes getting the screen to turn on, while the phone itself seems to be still running normally, may benefit from using an app such as Kinscreen (F-Droid or Playstore) which allows the user to turn the screen on by activating the proximity sensor.
I would strongly recommend it if you have a flip case, but I also use it very successfully on phones that don’t.
An added benefit is that you hardly ever use the Power button at all, which to my mind will contribute to the long-term longevity of the device, since physical buttons are always a weak point.

There is also a builtin method “lift to wake screen”, it’s in the Android settings. It doesn’t use the proximity sensor though. And of course “tap to wake screen”, but it’s buggy.

Hey! Just want to add my little experience here. I have the same issue. About every 2 weeks this happens to me. It looks like it often happens when I’m casting to either my television (chromecast) or my Google Nest. Will update this if I see a better pattern.

I don’t experience this issue anymore. I do get maybe once a month a random reboot, but I don’t keep track. It seems pretty stable nowadays. How’s the experience of others?

My last unexpected reboot was november '23.

1 Like

Same here. Havent experienced any of those weird freezes and lockups that occoured in the first month of owning the phone. I have no idea what changed. But I’m glad it’s gone.

1 Like

I guess we can mark this issue as solved then?

2 Likes