Fairphone 5 freezes repeatedly

Ups it happend again… and while Google Maps navigation + Spotify were running. And they keep running, music was playing fine, switching songs. Navigation was working (with a stuck screen though), GPS was fine, audio was guiding me through the city.
So it must be some graphical issue and once again it happend after the screen rotated back and forth.
Any Fairphone Developer here willed to have a look at it?

knock on wood, no more crashes on my wife’s phone. It stumbled a bit (screen freeze, switch off/switch on, and worked again) on some occasions.
Didn’t really change things (tried out some things like disable WIFI call, bud undid it after some time). Only thing was removing the gmail account from fair-Email which she has not added back on yet.

Mine is totally stable.

please contact support, developer are not reading here in the user forum.

And btw:

1 Like

Hello everyone - new to fairphone (F5)- same issue :frowning:
The Phone just randomly freezes and the screen turns black.
Have to restart - after that everything is fine.

not having this problem, but as others suggest, i can confirm i NOT use automatic rotation, i rotate manualy only sometime when need, so maybe is really bug in autorotation in some situaltion?

2 Likes

Hello, I had flagged this issue in a duplicate of this: Occasional issues in activating screen of my fp5 just writing to report that even after recent software updates the issue reproduces for me. I will try to disable screen rotation and will check if that helps.

Hi,

just to mention my own experience with this issue.

• also happens with no rotation
  • never happened using FP5 on “wifi only” for 3 days
  • happened on 4G network :
    → with a bad network coverage (phone did lock in my pocket doing nothing, or browsing a page, 4 times in an hour in a place I know has really poor coverage)
    → when moving (navigation in a car)

Also happened with /e/ OS by the way

no real workaround found so far

1 Like

I have set “Use auto-rotate screen” off in options and the problem hasn’t reproduced in 10 days. It seems a significant improvement, it may be a viable workaround for some.

Good to hear !
According to /e/ support, Fairphone is working on a fix for this.

see comments here.

In my situation I have this weird workaround : disable data altogether :slight_smile: when on the go or in a known badly covered area. Airplane mode for the win !

Which makes this phone a not-really-mobile phone but it still suits my needs for now - I mean I’ll manage a month or two like this.

1 Like

As your phone isnt rebooting but freezing, have you enabled auto-rotate and did you test when its off?

No, I never set auto-rotate.
(I never set it on my previous phone either, I don’t like this feature)

I am rebooting 3-5 times per day, before I had stable Fairphone 3 with the same set of application, it’s terrible…

you may want to try to disable “5G” kind of network as suggested in gitlab link above. (identified as “NR” in list of networks).
Maybe it’s related to specific carriers only but in my case I admit it didn’t freeze since. (will have to test some more situations)

If you find a solution be good to know. My wife’s F5 kept freezing needing battery removal to reboot. Phone replaced but same issues with replacement even when operating in safe mode.

Has anyone seen this issue show up on a FP5 with Murena (/e/OS)? I ask because I’ve had my FP5 for a week now and put /e/ on it first thing. I’ve never had a flicker of an issue, and I am (I think) exercising about every use case of this device.

For most of the people, turning off 5G and autorotation make the phone behave normally.

2 Likes

The problem probably doesn’t exist with all 5G implementations, because for me it’s rock solid with 5G on (Orange BE).

1 Like

Long press (>14s) power+vol down in such a case to reboot.

1 Like

Thanks - how do you turn off 5G on the F5? I’ve looked on the web and advice doesn’t fit the F5

Settings > Network & Internet > Internet > (cog wheel next to your sim) settings > Preferred network type: set 4G/3G/2G instead of 5G/4G/3G/2G.

Or you can just search for ‘preferred’ in settings.

1 Like