Fairbuds XL headphones

Found this on notebookcheck and other several websites, talking about a leak of the so called Fairbuds XL.

I don’t know if it’s a fake leak, cool design anyway. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Here as well:

3 Likes

They are in the shop now:

8 Likes

Interesting! Your link works, but I fail to find the listing on the shop pages. How did you find it? Am I missing something?

There also seems to be a special cable going with them if you want to use them wired: https://shop.fairphone.com/en/accessories/fairbuds-xl-headphones-usb-c-mini-jack-3-5mm-cable
According to Heise that should even work without battery installed if I understand them correctly.

3 Likes

I re-combined URL elements :wink: Took just 2-3 attempts.
Maybe 12:00 sharp is when it’s in the upper bars of the shop, too.

2 Likes

Yep. So the leak was “real”.
About the design, I like the almost all replaceable components, battery included.
Also the fact that you can listen with a USB-C → 3.5mm cable even if the battery is not connected.
I will wait for a review to check the ANC and call quality of the microphones.

8 Likes

hope the ANC is better than the TWS earbuds :slight_smile:

Two reviews, :de: DER SPIEGEL (a bit more skeptical) and :uk: THE GUARDIAN:

Both have additional own photos. THE GUARDIAN mentions a Fairphone collaboration on the Fairbuds with Sonarworks and names spare part prices (in £).

12 Likes

Both reviews are quite positive, I think. The only thing DER SPIEGEL complains about is the microphone quality if I didn’t miss anything. At THE GUARDIAN they think it’s fine, though…

2 Likes

Accessory cable length will be 1.5 metres (source: Fairphone company feedback at https://twitter.com/Fairphone/status/1656665977650835463). Should be added in the product specs soon.

[19:00 h: added to the shop page specs]

8 Likes

They state compatibility with all bluetooth devices, but then only list Fairphone 3-4. Will I have issues using them with Fairphone 2?

1 Like

Looks intressting but in my mind there should be an usb-c connection to have the option to use it as a headset. And I wonder if they have any 3d functionality. Without a good microphone and 3D sound then they are more or less useless as a gaming headset. Maybe that would be a modular upgrade? Also why not use rechargable AA batteries instead?

1 Like

Also the app for the Fairbuds XL aren’t open source. Pretty bad.

2 Likes

Was wondering if these beauties can be charged while also being paired and used over Bluetooth? And also how long a full charge takes. Haven’t checked the external reviews yet. Will do so now.

1 Like

I don’t see the microphone on the picture, where is it?

There are 6 in total and if I remember correctly 2 on one and 4 on the other side… However where exactly :person_shrugging:

From the pictures 2 and 3 at https://shop.fairphone.com/en/buy-fairbuds-xl, my vague guess is that there are three tiny holes visible on the right ear speaker’s outside ring (green and NOT speckled), one to each side of the USB-C port and one in between the two buttons (or whatever the pill shape is).
In picture 4, there are also slightly bigger pill shape holes on the very outside speaker covers (both left and right) which might not be microphones themselves, but entry holes for further microphones inside.

EDIT: Update, see reply (at least 2 out of 3 tiny holes apparently not mics)

2 Likes

I don’t understsnd why only the USB-C - mini jack 3.5mm cable is mentioned. Is there any reason why it should not work with a USB-C - USB-C cable and the FP4?

1 Like

oh man, they’re so pretty. almost make me wish I didn’t have my XM4s.

USB-C also for music, so I think you can use an USB-C/USB-C cable and wired connect an FP4.
Here’s where I found it:

2 Likes