Discussion: Improving the software of FP3

[EDIT]Merged[/EDIT]

Would you mind if we wikify your post, or do you think it is better to have an open dialogue?

8 Likes

How about doing both?
This thread for discussing things and a wiki to list things maybe in differend categories?

1 Like

Jep, sounds good. I’ll Make the first post a wiki.

2 Likes

Is the hardware related wish to use the LED for notification worth another point on your wishlist?

9 Likes

Thanks for asking. Since it appears to be a software related issue (as a program which tests the LED shows all the colors): Yes.

6 Likes

Many find the minimum screen brightness to be too bright.

See discussion here, for example: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/lowest-brightness-is-too-bright/

4 Likes

I guess it would be a good idea to ping @Monica.Ciovica, so Fairphone is aware of this thread.
Once the workload and stress-phase of introducing the FP3 has phased out a bit, they possibly could take on this list for the software updates to com. :wink:

6 Likes

WiFi and Network Icons in the status bar should have a fixed width - at the moment neighbouring icons jump left and right if network traffic occurs and is accordingly indicated by the up/down arrows.

Early FP2 users might remember this scenario already. :wink:

13 Likes

Status bar icons should be able to take up more space as there’s no notch limiting the physically available space. This was seemingly changed in Android 9 (see here) but I’d be surprised if this can’t be changed using some setting that’s currently not being exposed, or at build time as a last resort.

Combined with the issue mentioned by @amers this can get super annoying as icons show and hide e.g. when the Wifi transmission arrows appear.

4 Likes

Dark mode does not work properly. Some menues are still white.

4 Likes

One of the great functions on my aging Sony Z3 Compact was a diagnostic app where just about every component of the phone could be tested individually. I think this would fit perfectly into the FP ecosystem of repairability.

2 Likes

You mean something like Settings - System - Advanced - Developer options (how to enable them in Android is all over the internet) - Service Menu - Service tests?

I’ll admit this looks a bit raw and I didn’t try much there yet.

1 Like

Ah yes! Thanks for the tip. As you said, however, it just provides the necessary functionality and is “hidden” in the dev area.

The Sony app is available outside of the dev area and has graphics to help the user understand what’s being tested and how to properly perform the test.

Yeah, Fairphone maintain an App like this called Checkup on the Fairphone 2, but I can imagine porting it over to the Fairphone 3 would not be a priority.

For a start the Service tests seem quite usable, I tried some just now.

3 Likes

The Checkup tool for the FP2 works on the FP3 too. It is available onF-Droid.
The test of the vibro alarm is not working for the FP3. Everything else works.

8 Likes

Cool … but it lacks the soothing Chinese song loop in some of the Service tests :slight_smile: .

1 Like

not something I would miss at all :wink:

2 Likes

Kunstbanause :wink: .

1 Like

Try to translate that, please. :rofl:

1 Like

At least they are already working on it, as @anon52719359 has stated:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/checkup-diagnosis-on-the-fp3-and-its-future/52957/8?u=urs_lesse
[I do see you read that before, but it can’t hurt to make others aware of it :slight_smile: ]

9 Likes