Debating "what’s wrong with FP3, so that FP4 comes out so soon?"

It’s a bit dated and not efficient or smart enough for some, my daughter has given up after 8 months of the FP3.

Fairphone need to make lots of money to keep the business and support etc.afloat and further FP3 sales won’t suffice.

2 Likes

Where did you read or hear that from? The main reason the FP3 is no longer sold is because its successor, the FP3+, has a better ecological footprint, the amount of recycled materials is much higher compared to the FP3. And the camera has improved as well…

3 Likes

Hearing, seeing, and thinking. There are many complaints about the archaic cpu etc and as such people some comments about people waiting for an upgrade.

Fairphone need to sell to make money and they are not going to sell many more FP3 given it’s old spec etc. personal experience etc.

DeepSea

3 Sep

I would not bet on it…

DeepSea

3 Sep

There are more but you can find them if you really are interested.

My daughter has finally given up on the FP3, after 10 months, so I’ll have two FP3’s soon but I’ll be buying the FP4 as soon as.

1 Like

I do not know if you have noticed, but the FP3+ features the same SoC (CPU) and has not been discontinued, yet…

1 Like

Going off topic The FP3+ is the FP3 in those regards and if the FP4 is on the table then the FP3 is falling off.

1 Like

Back to topic: Many people just need a phone to talk and write, nothing else, just the basic stuff, which is why they stick to their FP2. They do not need a 5G capable phone at all, and the size and price (€ ~250 difference) pretty much say it all…

3 Likes

Not quite on topic but I would say a few not many and not enough for Fairphone’s coffers.

That clearly misses the point, since we should buy less gadgets, not more. Materials are of value…

2 Likes

You have a point of view which I don’t.

Fairphone may tout more repairability for phones, but the basis is to have a business that can use their Fairtrade mineral original intent. That won’t work without buying their products.

As I have previously stated my care is for Fairtrade which doesn’t happen without trade.

Gadgets,

Fairphone builds a deeper understanding between people and their products, driving conversations about what “fair” really means. Our mission - We care for people and planet

A fairer future
It’s no secret: we’re out to change the world. Fairphone puts people and the planet first.
We care about human rights and worker well-being.

Fairphone was founded with the aim to develop a mobile device that does not contain conflict minerals (which in smartphones are typically gold, tin, tantalum and tungsten), has fair labour conditions for the workforce along the supply chain producing it. Fairphone - Wikipedia.

Facts at a glance. 2010. Started as an awareness campaign about conflict minerals. Amsterdam-based on the river IJ. 70+ employees from 20 countries. 100,000+ Fairphone owners. 2013. Became an independent company. 250,000 community members on Facebook, Twitter and the Fairphone forum combined.

Fairtrade is what needs to be sustainable not the phone.

2 Likes

amoun, then you are posting in the wrong thread. This one here is named “My FP2: 5 years and counting”…

Clearly responding to Arizna was going off topic

but then you wanted to argue about my response, so here we are

So here I say good-bye to you, as you have your views, and I have mine…

2 Likes

See you in another topic.

There’s nothing wrong with the FP3 but looking forward with apprehension to the FP4 Just need to lower my exceptions not of what the phone can do for me but what I can do.

1 Like

Nothing. The release dates of new phones don’t have anything to do with how good the old ones were. They are just trying to provide modern phones to new customers, but that has nothing to do with the older generations. The FP2 and FP3 are both still getting updates (although quite infrequently), so there is no need to throw them away yet :slight_smile:

(Nada. Las fechas de lanzamiento de los nuevos teléfonos no tienen nada que ver con lo buenos que eran los antiguos. Sólo intentan ofrecer teléfonos modernos a los nuevos clientes, pero eso no tiene nada que ver con las generaciones anteriores. Tanto el FP2 como el FP3 siguen recibiendo actualizaciones (aunque con bastante poca frecuencia), así que no hay necesidad de tirarlos todavía :slight_smile: - also translated with deepl)

9 Likes

It may be possible that it’s not totally clear from the shop etc. but I pretty much expected the performance I got. I have no problems with standard social media apps etc. but I also knew that you can’t get a phone for ~450€ which is ecological and fair and still as performant as phones of similar price. Other phones can be sold so cheap because the workers are paid nothing and the minerals are mined by children (more or less). If you want a phone with “good” performance the FP4 may be for you (nobody knows yet) or you may need to look somewhere else unfortunately.

6 Likes

A lot of folks don’t want to buy an old phone. Plus, one of the goals of Fairphone is to make a phone which will last as long as possible. Suppose a phone can last 5 years, but you buy a brand-new one which is effectively three years old due to its hardware. You’re really buying a phone which will be useful for 2 years, rather than ten. That’s assuming the particularly model your purchased can handle full OS upgrades for all five of those years, which unfortunately is a rather tall order because SoC manufacturers rarely give more than a year or two of support. Qualcomm recently promised three years of support going forward, which is big, but probably not enough. Though, I read something about them sort of open-sourcing the Snapdragon 845, so maybe there’s some kind of potential there.

Yes there’s a conflict in keeping an old phone for 5 years for up and coming young people, even old one’s like me are a bit embarrassed at buying in to the Fairphone train which is more like a horse and cart. And being vegan I’m just left with a cart to push by hand, not an attractive device, even at launch let alone a year or two down the line.

I’m happy with the Fairtrade element, but that’s all and I’m not sure that many people are that fussed about Fairtrade. So a new phone with more current specs is what is needed to sell a lot more phones.

The problem I see is that the Fairphone are always going to be a couple of year out of date, the design also, so it’s difficult business to run.

I’ll get the FP4 even though my FP3 is not a year old and my daughter is passing me her FP3 as she is fed up with it.

I’ll see if she likes the FP4 :slight_smile:

I currently know three people who recently ordered an FP3 +. Are several views on it. I don’t think an FP4 is currently necessary because the FP3 + is good for 90% of all applications. Everything else is a sick consumer mentality.
Excuse my english.

2 Likes

I generally agree with the notion but don’t limit it to the FP4
Ok we can edit out the sick etc.

• Everything else is a consumer mentality.
  • Every purchase is a consumer mentality.

Now to the 90%

My daughter has dumped her FP3 after 9 months so I’m going to get her an FP4 and see if that is up to her requirements.

I may end up with two FP3s and an FP4 all down to my daughter wanting to do the ‘right’ thing and buy a Fairtrade phone. I though it may not work so I’m paying for all three.

So 90% of all applications that are not too demanding, but specs are so low relative to other phones on the market that are anywhere near the same cost. Given the share of the market is far less than 1% and Fairphone are trying to save the planet by enticing some of the other 99.6% at this rate the FP5 would need to be ready to roll out.

If it’s only down to being fair to the supply chain labourers is better paid labour better than none at all, and if better paid labour is the incentive then Fairphone need to sell more phone and in this aspect the FP4 is great news, ~ maybe ~ we’ll see how the sales go in a year or two.

You’re not suggesting Fairphone churn out more FP3, are you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re right. :slight_smile:

2 Likes