Battery problems (wrong charging status / battery might be dying)

I just received my new batteryā€¦! My life has changed!

Fully charged this morning at 8:00 itā€™s 15:00 and Iā€™m 72%!!! I even played Frozen for a while!!!

2 Likes

Even if your battery is not bloated I think you should change itā€¦ changed everything for me.

Do you think they give you a warranty ticket, if you canā€™t actually see that there is a manufacturing defect?

Has anyone gotten a warranty ticket with a non-bloated battery?

I donā€™t know, itā€™s worth trying but normally batteries arenā€™t covered by warranties.

I know there are some topics about battery problems but i didnā€™t find any answers in any of them. My battery goes down very quickly. Itā€™s been going on for a few days now. This morning i got up around 08:00 am with a 100% battery, half an hour later it was 92% without using it, if i use it i can practically see the percentage drop. Now, almost 4 hours later, my FP is at 45%. Does someone know how to solve this?

Some background info:

• It didnā€™t occur right after the update but i do use Kola Nut 1.8.
  • I had the 14% bug and the 15% to 1% in seconds bug but those are gone.
  • I use Juice Defender and followed some of the tips to lengthen the life of my battery.
  • My FP doesnā€™t always charge. Sometimes when the red light is on and the phone indicates itā€™s charging i see that after some hours the battery just drained. I already filled in a repair form but iā€™m still waiting to send my phone cause i got no replacement and the problem doesnā€™t always occur.

There are a lot of answers, but no solution yet! :wink: You can be sure, that if we knew, what to do, there would have been a solution posted!

For now, the best thing is to wait until the battery bloats and then request a warranty ticket from Fairphone.

This might also be interesting: Charging does not work properly.

So this is a symptom of a bloated battery? I shall wait before that happens to return it with the repair form.

I fear sooner or later your battery will bloatā€¦ Nothing officially confirmed though!

@Stefan: Confirmed! My phone was at 6%, ran down from 15% in a matter of minutes, screen on.
Turned screen off, checked back appr. 2 hrs later: 4%!

I too had the 14% bug with the percentage stalled at 14% for appr. 12 hrs. before the update. Are these bugs related? It would appear so!

1 Like

Seems to me that the 14%-Problem (which later escalated for me to a "45% to 0% in a few minutesā€œ-problem) was the sign of a failing battery. Ordered a replacement battery and since then Iā€™m seeing an almost linear drop in the battery capacity.

Still: not good. Hope that I donā€™t have to replace the battery every year (never had to do replace the battery on my previous phones and I used them 2yrs and longer)

And: it would be interesting how common this problem is. Because: everyone in this thread has this problem which might distort reality for us. Maybe weā€™re the only 20 (estimate) people who have this problem (then I wouldnā€™t consider this a big problem). But maybe weā€™re only 1% of the people having this problem. The rest just didnā€™t find the thread

1 Like

@Arnd: Thank you for confirming this. It seems that before and after the update the battery calibration was handled differently, so the low-quality-battery showed different symptoms. Still, I donā€™t think the bad battery is caused by the update.

@bgschaid: We did some calculations on this some while ago:

Maybe this has been posted before, but still:

• replaced old battery for my Fairphone (first edition) with a new one three weeks ago
  • seems to be working just fine
  • today: phone shut itself off because battery was down; no failure here
  • just started to recharge it - first, no red light, after one minute red light appeared, I checked: big battery symbol on blue screen showed 2%
  • after 15 minutes, I checked again: recharge status showed 19%
  • charging stil going on, I immediately switched on my phone, everything started as normal, BUT battery status in recharging mode now showed 55% - !?
  • I switched off my phone; recharging status continued at 55%.
    This means: from 19% to 55% in 10 seconds!?

Maybe this piece of information helps solving the battery trouble.
Thanks!

I would be interested to know this. Iā€™m keeping an eye on my battery, but no signs of physical bloating so far.

Iā€™ve also experienced similar battery issues that people have described in this thread, with power suddenly dropping down. And power draining much more quickly than expected - last night I had around 20% before I went to sleep, but woke up to a dead phone! (no data or wifi connection enabled)

1 Like

As I already said before, support replaced my battery before it even started bloating. So, write them a ticket, refer to this forum and theyā€™ll send you a new one (if they have not run out of new batteries by now :wink:

Although I havenā€™t had huge problems with my new battery, I have experienced some of the funny battery stuff that is part of this thread again with my new battery. It seems that if the phone is charging and I am extensively using the phone, e.g. for a game play more than 5 minutes, and the phone gets really hot, that then - the battery load is jumping up and down and creating problems for the following charging cycle. So for now, I am not using my phone while charging and I havenā€™t had any problems.

While this is not how it is supposed to be, it works for me now at the moment and I hope that the next FP will not have these problems anymoreā€¦

2 Likes

I also have a charging problem. It wonā€™t charge sometimes even when it is plugged in and today it dropped from 55% to 21% just when restarting the phone. I have the original Kola Nuts 1.8 version installed (FP1).

Iā€™ve had similar issue for a while, but Iā€™ve just found this topic now. Overall, my FP1ā€™s battery seems to drain a bit quicker than before (I used to be able to do 3-4 days with it, whereas now I get 1-2 days max), but the most annoying part is that it goes from 15% to 4% to 0% in seconds.

Good to know this is a recognized issue. Iā€™ll contact FP support and hope the new battery will fix it.

1 Like

Damn, Iā€™m afraid I may have a similar issue soonā€¦ :confused:

Exactly the symptoms of my phone as well. My fiancƩe also have a Fairphone that he got one week after me, we are doing the same thing with our phones but while I have to charge it three times a day he usually has ~40% battery left in the evening, even though he uses a pebble and I do not.

No signs of physical bloating though.

@Sokin, did you have the same problems?

@Lovisan, I donā€™t know, can you check your battery life history and post the screenshot?

I have the same problems as @Spicy

"This morning i got up around 08:00 am with a 100% battery, half an hour later it was 92% without using it, if i use it i can practically see the percentage drop. Now, almost 4 hours later, my FP is at 45%. Does someone know how to solve this?

Some background info:

• It didnā€™t occur right after the update but i do use Kola Nut 1.8.
  • I had the 14% bug and the 15% to 1% in seconds bug but those are gone.
  • I use Juice Defender and followed some of the tips to lengthen the life of my battery."