Android 10 or Android 11 for the FP3

Currently I am using the FOS as standard A10 ~ 0132

This is just a starter as I have read about some differences in the A11 that may not suit everyone so I’d like to get some ideas of what they are and experience of anyone who uses A11

Thanks

I also remember and still see problems with with the A10 rollout so am in no hurry to adopt A11

As soon as Android 11 will be released for the FP3(+), there will be no updates for Android 10 anymore. So for a security aware user, there won’t be any way to come around the update.

5 Likes

One notable issue in the A11 is the lack of ability to hide the network name.
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/how-to-change-carrier-name-in-status-bar/78656/4

A more or less cosmetic problem, as the FP3 has no notch. And it’s not an Android 11 feature, but a decision of Fairphone as other phones hide the provider name by default.

5 Likes

I’m quite conviced by the time there is Android 11 for the FP3 the network name problem is fixed. For both models I’m sure.

4 Likes

Yes, I hope so. In my opinion hiding the provider name is essential, as it wastes precious space in the status bar.

2 Likes

Looks like the fix is already there for the FP4

2 Likes

Just a link to an issue reported with Android 11

That’s not an issue or bug, but just a modified user interface. And with Android 12, there are some changes again.

1 Like

Yes I didn’t see it as a fault just a different UI that may be uncomfortable for some. But as previously mentioned, once A11 is rolled out there may be little option but to use it or go for a rogue rom :slight_smile: Still intend to keep the default whilst warranty is valid plus I don’t really see much problem with no google account and a load of aps removed via adb

Android 11 has a lot of changes for good, but as we approach release some minor changes are starting to come to light that some users won’t be very happy with. Starting in Android 11, for instance, users won’t be able to select a default camera app in certain scenarios.
Android 11 makes changes to default camera apps - 9to5Google

You should keep your Android 10. I made the mistake of accepting the update to A11, and now I’m very sorry. Some of my apps are no longer compatible with this new version!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Would you please let us know what apps are failing as it could be a better warning for others, and some may not use them, and of course there may be a fix.

3 Likes

As Android 10 is getting no updates on the FP3 anymore, this is not a valid option.

4 Likes

Hi

I’m not sure about the logic of your response.
a) As the original poster of this topic I became a beta tester for the A11
b) I also have it, since the offcial roll out on 2 FP so 3s with no issues of any serious nature and otherwise than a frew niggles mentioned elsewhere.
So “id you want to use Android 11 now” it is available.
c) rsuggestion to use a custom ROM is no way a guarantee, as implied, that this will help anyone.
d) And where there is a specific issue that someone has, how can you be confident that such an issue can be resolved through any one of a number of custom ROMs

Maybe you could clarify your thoughts?

Thanks

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.