Time and notifications icons not visible - long carrier name in status bar

I’m very, very sure the notification icons are meant and they are clearly not visible. And this clearly is a problem.
The FP4 has no always-on OLED display and no notification LED. So if you want to see if there was a notification while not constantly looking at your phone (e.g. when it’s on the table, unlocked, you quickly talk to someone in the room and you think you might have heard a notification sound but are not sure if it was your phone or that of someone else in the room), you would quickly check if there are any notifications (icons) in the status bar. Those are not visible with a long carrier name like in above screenshot. And as apoger said, right now they have to swipe down the status bar to check if there are any notifications in situations like described above. Yes, if the display was completely off, one could in principle first just turn on the display to see if there are notifications, but then, if your habit in picking up the phone is to unlock it via fingerprint immediately, you don’t really get to see the lock screen.

8 Likes

Ok, understood now, I never look at any small icons somewhere, but always rely on the textual notifications, as I have to look at them anyway, if I can spot an icon which doesn’t give me any information at all.

1 Like

Howdy guys,
I’m currently testing Super Tatus Bar (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tombayley.statusbar) - I know, Fairphone should provide a fix but while waiting I want a bug fix for me. The App does provide anything I need without root!
I’ve chosen Style: Android 10m height 30 and extras - side clearance 8 (because of the round corners). Unfortunatelly transparent ist not available.

Here is a screenshot of my FP4:

2 Likes

I just browsed through all 62 replies so far, and I’m a bit surprised the word “launcher” hasn’t featured in this topic at all. Is the status bar beyond the abilities of an alternative launcher?

I am pretty content using the super status bar app. I find an alternative launcher more invasive. It changes al kinds of things while I only need an adjustment of the status bar.

Alfons

1 Like

Today’s update \o/

17 Likes

Well spotted! I don’t have a problem, since I’m on 3 UK - not a long name - but it’s cleaner to get rid of it anyway.

For those who don’t speak French, could you provide some more details in English? The screenshot is not telling me much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is one in German :wink::

It’s in Settings->Display->Advanced, like it was before.

6 Likes

It is awesome to have the notification icons back!! Thanks Fairphone-Team for adding this option asap!

2 Likes

Insert Samual L. Jackson meme about speaking English ;p

1 Like

The Update of the year ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Works for me too! Thanks for the tip on this update. The super status bar app can be removed … :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Instead of making a point of killing all possible motivation of users to redo the screenshot with the language set to English, you could have used an online translator in about the same time.

2 Likes

Ja dat kan natuurlijk ook. Maar lijkt je dat niet een beetje onhandig als we dat allemaal gaan doen? Even de screenshot toelichten met een beetje tekst was voldoende, niet alleen voor mij, maar voor de meesten op dit forum.

2 Likes

Maybe so. But there’s a reason you didn’t post the cited meme directly here, isn’t there :wink: ?

The screenshots show the desired switch to turn off the carrier name in the status bar.

In the screen options you can set it.

What :wink:?
I showed a screenshot in German and explained the way to the setting in English, so do you still need more explanation?

3 Likes

What is up with the core people in this community. Things that can be said and done simple seem to spin out into a discussion that can be avoided from the start if people just react normally to reasonable comments.

It’s in Settings->Display->Advanced, like it was before.

Doesn’t tell anyone anything :slight_smile: Yeah, I can guess it’s a fix for the issue since it’s marked as a solution. But one person shows a French screenshot without any explanation. Then you share a German one without explaining why it is relevant. International communities speak English, that way everyone can understand each other. Anders kan ik hier ook wel gewoon Nederlands gaan typen, toch? :wink:

1 Like

What is up with you, that you are always complaining about everything?

Everybody else in this thread understood the topic: How to disable the carrier name in the status bar.

And this is an international forum, so we speak different languages, not only English.

9 Likes