With broken Volumne +-key, how to enter recovery mode in my FP2

I’d like to reinstall another OS on my Fairphone 2 (iow; Lineage). Therefore I have to enter the recovery mode (after having installed their recovery-image in bootloader/fastboot mode). I’m unable to do so because my Volume up button seems to be broken.

I tried to boot via fastboot to recovery, but it gets me back to normal OS (which itself is resetting the recovery-image.

Are there any possible fixes me?

While TWRP is said to be not supported for installation of LineageOS 18.1 on the Fairphone 2, you could nevertheless try, because you can boot TWRP with fastboot without installing it, see twrpwoflashing.

Edit: I successfully tested installing lineage-18.1-20220812-nightly-FP2-signed.zip using the signed TWRP image twrp-3.2.3-0-FP2.img-signed.img which is given for download as a part of twrpwoflashing.
LineageOS boots and shows the initial user setup.
In TWRP: Wipe - Swipe to Factory Reset, back to main menu, Advanced - ADB Sideload, start the installation, then Reboot (Don’t install the TWRP App).

I tested installing via stock recovery … fails because of signature verification. That’s why they need the custom recovery for installing, I suppose.

I tested to sign the LineageOS recovery image the same way the TWRP image can be signed (see twrpwoflashing again), so that it could be booted with fastboot without installing it … failed to boot for me, I don’t know why (works with TWRP).

5 Likes

From my personal experiments, TWRP is OK for installing LOS, but failing with OTA-updates of LOS…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.