TWRP 3.1.1-1 boot issue

Where do I get a signed TWRP?

I have seen the signed TWRP images from here, but they are too old (and I didn’t fully understand the linked instructions about how to sign an image).

Why that? New batch Fairphone 2?

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned it. I get only a bluescreen with TWRP 3.1.1-0.

Too bad :frowning: … Ok, two ideas …

1. PM @retsifp whether he could be so nice and sign the current TWRP image and upload it.

2. Back to flashing … Try “fastboot erase recovery” before flashing TWRP again. I’m a big fan of wiping partitions when things go wrong :slight_smile:

Another question: I wonder what the updater did before rebooting? And if this somehow can be undone? (TWRP worked before)

This didn’t solve the problem.

I will do this,

Thanks for trying to help :slight_smile:

I looked into this on Windows and got me a signed current TWRP image that fastboot boots on my phone (yes, I’m surprised myself). Here goes … and you don’t have to bother with the whole key stuff, we’ll just download some :wink:

• Install Java (if not already installed).
  • Make (or look for) a directory to put stuff into.
  • Download BootSignature.jar from @z3ntu’s place to the directory (URL found here).
  • Download SignApk.zip (found here), from SignApk.zip extract the two files testkey.pk8 and testkey.x509.pem to the directory (or just extract the whole ZIP, doesn’t matter).
  • Download the current TWRP image from here to the directory (or copy it there if you got it already).
  • Open a command line (Start - Run - cmd) and cd your way into the directory.
  • In the directory execute the following command (one line assuming twrp-3.1.1-1-fp2.img as the unsigned image filename):

java -jar BootSignature.jar /boot twrp-3.1.1-1-fp2.img testkey.pk8 testkey.x509.pem twrp-3.1.1-1-fp2-signed.img

• If you want, you can make sure only the signature was appended to the original image and nothing else was changed by comparing the two images e.g. with WinMerge.

Et voilà! Have fun fastboot booting your signed TWRP image on your phone.

2 Likes

For reference: I have a guide on my blog which should work on Linux/macOS: https://z3ntu.github.io/2017/06/16/Signing-boot-images.html

1 Like

twrp-3.1.1-1-fp2-signed.img is now here.
Sorry, I was aware of a new version but thought that the “ota_fix” version from @z3ntu already included the new drivers - which was obviously not the case.

3 Likes

Unfortunately the problem is the same when booting the signed TWRP image without flashing it.[quote=“_Chris, post:260, topic:29441”]
Another question: I wonder what the updater did before rebooting? And if this somehow can be undone?
[/quote]
TWRP needs to know that the new LineageOS should be flashed and I wonder where this info is stored? Maybe deleting this info could help?

Does it boot at least?

Same as before - it got stuck on the image I posted above

LineageOS still works, so I am able to use the phone, but I am not able to update any more using the OTA update.

Moved this to another topic as not all encrypted LineageOS users experience this (not me for example). Also seems localized to TWRP.

Thanks for moving it :slight_smile:

Do you know where the updater stores the information for TWRP?

On the seperate “/misc” partition if I’m correct. @z3ntu is the maintainer of TWRP, so maybe he can better answer this.

How long have you waited at the splash screen? Apparently it might take some minutes (for whatever reason).

15 minutes or so - I think this should be sufficient?

I guess so.
Do you use a microSD card, and if so, did you set it up as additional Internal Storage?

Here’s some more from Google …

[Taking out an SD card set up as Internal Storage helped.] (Root - TWRP stuck on twrp splash screen. | Android Forums) (Edit: Is it just me or does this sound kind of dangerous for data in Internal Storage?)

Copying the TWRP directory from Internal Storage to SD card set up as external storage and then deleting the Internal Storage TWRP directory helped.

Actually we use a partition called pad as there’s no misc partition on the FP2. But yes, in the fstab we refer to it as /misc.

The TWRP issue sounds weird. So @_Chris, you’re the only one here having that issue it seems. Did this TWRP version before (with/without encryption)? Also as you require the -1 version you have a new display probably. Do you have access to adb in this mode?

I will try this next - thanks for the suggestion.
It will take some time because I will copy the content of the SD card first, then delete most of the data, so that I can move the remaining data to internal storage (there is a menu for that within the settings. so I don’t think it is dangerous to do this).

Yes, this TWRP version worked before, and yes I have a new display.
adb devices shows the device, so I have access to adb.

Maybe the reason for the problem is using an SD card as adopted storage. I will remove it as described above and then try it again.