Will they sell 15000? [They did]

I agree. A cost breakdown for FP2 like they had for FP1 would be a very good thing.

Iā€™m waiting for the source code drop before pre-ordering, others might be in the same boat as they donā€™t want to be stuck with vanilla android as the only operating system choice.

If I donā€™t think SailfishOS will work on it, then thereā€™s not a huge amount of point in buying one imho :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just to add some weight to what has been said before:
I would like to see the cost breakdown before I order the FP2.

1 Like

@urs_lesse: I would like to see your chart to be continued. That was already one of the question to FP team while selling FP1 - but they did not publish somethin like that.
So let us know when you updated your graph :wink:

1 Like

I guess it makes sense to update it around midnight tonight or tomorrow after the completion of another week.
Actually I got neglective for a moment and am missing the value for midnight monday/tuesday 17/18 August. If thereā€™s a fellow compulsive character around who can supply it, feel free to! :smile:
Otherwise Iā€™ll just include the mean between sunday night and tuesday night and leave that column without labelling.

4 Likes

2015-08-17 20:18 -> 8117
2015-08-18 17:43 -> 8251

4 Likes

I uploaded an updated graph, see Will they sell 15000? [They did]

Thank you @gewuerzketchup , I just added a (small) wild guess to your evening number.

2 Likes

Growth seems to be holding out linearly since the initial surge - looks like they will manage to sell around 12500 by the end of September. Needs a big corporate buyer to pre-order a few thousand!

Meanwhile, a colleague who considers himself a bit of a fairtrade greenie just delightedly found his mobile contract had expired and that he was entitled to an ā€œupgradeā€ - so merrily ordered a new (non repairable, sealed-in battery) Samsung ā€¦ whilst his existing handset (which still works) heads for the recycling bin. If only EE, 02, Vodafone et all were offerring FP2s ā€¦ but why would they if they are designed to lastā€¦ heaven help all those profits if people went ā€œsim onlyā€ and kept their old handsets. Capitalism and the growth it fuels, that benefits EVERYONE so much, would surely collapse, plunging us all back into the dark agesā€¦

rant over.

4 Likes

Last year, in this same situation, I bought, unlocked and sold an iPhone 5s and earned around $300 that I could spend more responsibly. Thereā€™s always people for buying shiny stuff.

4 Likes

I think there is a lack of visibility, I read about Fairephone only in this site!

In adition, I would like to see some information regarding other OS running in this phone, why not Sailfish?

3 Likes

Thatā€™s not entirely correct. There are many newspapers and tech-related websites that actually write whole articles about the Fairphone 2. So I donā€™t think visibility will be a serious obstacle for the 15k mark. Yet, the more people know about the project the better.

Thatā€™s a little too far off topic in my opinion. There are several other threads discussing OS possibilites. For example here(closed topic) and here.

2 Likes

Here you can find an (incomplete) list of news articles about the FP2 in various languages. Iā€™m sure there are many more articles which are not included.

1 Like

I actually agree with @Jordi about the lack of visibility, but I think itā€™s not necessarily a lack of media visibility, but ā€“ I know I suggested this before ā€“ a lack of first-hand visibility. I wished it was possible for Fairphone to stage a few more events outside Amsterdam and the Netherlands. Finding a cheap or free venue should not be such an issue, I think there are many non-profit organizations who share and support Fairphoneā€™s aims and could help with the logistics. Simplified: Show the Fairphone 2 in events in London, Paris, Madrid, Rome, Viennaā€¦

Itā€™s not just the event itself, itā€™s also that such events provide additional opportunities and justifications to remind your friends of Fairphone e.g. through sharing a Facebook event, using your organizationā€™s email list and so on. One event produces multiple opportunities to bring back Fairphone into potential buyersā€™ minds.

2 Likes

We were trying to get a Fairphone 2 prototype to.showcase it at the Urban Mining Workshop of the Austrian Fairphoners at this yearā€™s Vienna Open Festival and this was the answer @anon30133089 gave me via email:

1 Like

Have you considered inviting a FP employee to be there in person (so the prototype would stay ā€œin Fairphoneā€™s handsā€)?

Of course we did! :wink:

I see that Sean is attending E-Scrap Conference in the US, but thatā€™s unfortunately not exactly ā€œour regionā€ā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

I guess we will see 9000 Fairphones sold by thursday night.

7 Likes

That looks like the number of sold phones per week decreases by ~100 each week right now. Gonna rise again. Stay Positive. :rabbit2:

8,999 at 8 am (GMT)this morning

2 Likes

Given itā€™s 9001 right now at 9:42 am (CET), the lucky Mr. or Ms. 9000 only just escaped our sight :wink:

3 Likes