Who else is substituting WhatsApp?

Ok. Fair enough, you take a rather platonic stand of “there is the ideal self”. You do not need experience to construct a perfect human, because the perfect human already exists and just needs to be reached.

Here I take a different point. I think we have only knowledge of the past, senses, to experience the present, a mind to connect the dots with which we construct vision. Or something like that. To me there is no ideal self, just transition from one to the next.

I think this difference is reflected in your opposition to my arguments.

1 Like

I am sorry, the discussion has diverged from your topic @ElKrasso.

2 Likes

Sadly not, its a compromise

3 Likes

I agree it being no different in the understanding but in the expression.

What’sApp fulfills the desire to have mass communication in what appears to be an external world, but knowledge and understanding their is only subjective being and each of us in effect communicating with aspects of ourself.

So to bring it back to What’sApp the concern it that one part of the me that appears to be external may get to communicate with one part of me that’s internal. A bit scary when most of the intellect is dependent upon the past and the senses and projects a future, but not so scary when the intellect is self creating.

Saying that I have not been involved with social media ever and my foray into What’sApp was purely down to my daughter wanting a FP3+ and her having problems with What’sApp, so I hooked in to help! And it’s a bit of fun and the fear and paranoia are of my making ~ I’m ugly and now all the world can see.

EDIT I forgot to say in the para of yours I quoted the only issue is that I would add logic, which does not come from the past or the senses. It’s exists without the mind ‘logically’ though the mind does use it as you say, to join some dot’s to the specks in space and time.

1 Like

I think Jami is totally decentralized. I have no experience with it though.

You’re entitled to your opinion, and I’m entitled to mine. This is why we will never clash, because we both know opinions are not facts, or are facts that are subjective to the holder of the opinion.
My opinion is that the ‘human nature’ defence is lazy, it is a disservice in light of the research done for instance in the field psychology, we know so little of the workings of our brains, of the consciousness itself. I do not believe that we’re trapped in so called ‘human nature’ like an alcoholic is trapped in a bottle of whiskey. My opinion is that the fixation with privacy is a symptom of duality of man, which unfortunately is not a common knowledge in our culture.
We cannot say what is ‘human nature’ and what is not, because we do not know the full extent of it, we only see what we can see.

1 Like

Hello existentionaut,

I beg your pardon, but I simply echoed your words, when you said

Saying, the brain works in one way, is another way of claiming ‘human nature’. To specify exactly what I said

And here is what you wrote

This last quote is what I would call “being unsatisfied”. So you see that I merely echoed you. But I put it into context and claimed, that the “being unsatisfied” is probably not the most basic aspect of man, but just one aspect of man.

Furthermore I do not see an argument in the “being unsatisfied” against privacy protecting tools, I see in it the motor for finding privacy protecting tools. Every time, I find such a tool, I am a little more happy. This happiness remains, because there are less evil men in my bedroom. Then I get sad again, because I neglected my work and there are miles to go before I sleep and promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep.

Many greetings
-Hendrik

Hey @angry_dodo,
The mobile OS “GrapheneOS” has come to my attention for being especially privacy and security friendly. There seems to be substantial scientific effort behind it. Sadly this would mean ditching FP because they only support the “PixelX” phones from google. Their reason is technical, for these phones integrate security hardening on a hardware level. I am conflicted.

Many greetings
-Hendrik

Who else? I tell you who else.

https://nitter.nixnet.services/markscott82/status/1348916993139871745#m

(This is basically a link to a twitter post. Only it is not twitter, its nitter)

I temporarily closed the topic, it will reopen automatically in 24h
This discussion was going off-topic and I invite the users involved in it to take a step back and have a look at their posts. The last posts were deleted for being aggressive/inappropriate.

This topic was automatically opened after 24 hours.

I never used WhatsApp. Instead, I use Signal:

• It is an independent messenger, unlike WhatsApp, which belongs to Facebook.
  • Signal is very privacy-focused; messages are encrypted.
  • You can have your messages and SMS in one place.
3 Likes

Just for the record: For quite a while now, WhatsApp uses E2E encryption, too. Actually it uses the open protocols that Signal developed.

Fun fact: Signal can operate independently today because WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton donated $50 million to them (because he believes they are doing the right thing):

Signal >> Blog >> Signal Foundation

Since 2018, Acton is Executive Chairman of the Signal Foundation he co-founded with Moxie Marlinspike, CEO of Signal Messenger LLC.

“The Verge” has an in-depth piece about internal fighting over the direction of Signal today, long and interesting read:

Warning Signal: the messaging app’s new features are causing internal turmoil - The Verge

Best wishes,
Thomas

6 Likes

Thanks for the link. Interesting read indeed, though in places it feels a tiny bit like a hit piece. For instance, it gives former Signal employee Gregg Bernstein the last word, “a former user researcher who left the organization this month over his concerns”:

“I think that’s a copout,” he said. “Nobody is saying to change Signal fundamentally. There are little things he could do to stop Signal from becoming a tool for tragic events, while still protecting the integrity of the product for the people who need it the most.”

Maybe I overlooked it, but the article does not seem to say what these “little things” could be. Nixing groups or encryption do not seem particularly “little” to me if that’s what’s being suggested.

1 Like

Plus: One always has to be careful weighing the statements of Ex-employees. They might have some unfinished business and a desire for revenge that is driving them rather than real concern for the things they are stating (and maybe misrepresenting).

1 Like

Not very independent of Brian Acton especially if I read the post you linked to. :roll_eyes:

Well, I’d rather trust a non-profit that depends in some ways on Brian Acton, than Facebook that depends in every way on Mark Zuckerberg. Facebook will do anything that profits them if they think they can get away with it, as they’ve demonstrated time and again. I don’t think Google is much better by the way (YouTube, looking at you…), but ditching their products is much more of a hassle unfortunately.

3 Likes

DuckDuckGo is a good search engine. Their algotithm is most of the time better than google, in my experience.

GMail is ditchable -> ProtonMail
Or you rent your own eMail server, thats what I do.

Facebook -> Mastadon

YouTube -> NewPipe on Android and Invidious everywhere else (you still actually use youtube) or you switch to peer-tube altogether

Google scholar -> not ditchable, it is the best

1 Like

I am not so sure about the WA E2E. I know for sure that telegram decrypts messages on their server. Since we can not read WA server softwaresource code, we do not know what they do internally.

1 Like

Dear @andyflet,
in another topic @AnotherElk has created this nice summary of the different kind of Android systems

You should understand, that not all Android is infested by google, though strangely enough it is developed mainly by this company. E.g. the GrapheneOS project has contributed some security features to stock Android. You might want to check out the /e/ project because it has native support for your Fairphone. A match made in heaven. Other than that my suggestions would be, as mentioned above

I should add, for completeness sake the F-Droid store. Here you will find a bunch of free and open source software. Some of it is great but a lot of it is experimental, so watch out.

Many greetings
-Hendrik

1 Like