Waterproof outdoor case for FP3

I run once a week 8k with the phone in my pocket. No problems.

1 Like

Hi,
I have used lifeproof cases for iPhones for years, they kept them neat and safe, I never had water or disinfectant issues.
I dropped the phones several times, one time it fell into the toilet (no, I do not want to talk about it further ;)). My phones never failed me and I never had a problem cleaning it or was reluctant to do so. After about 2 years of daily heavy use I had to replace the case, which I did happily for reliability.
The cases I use have a little flap at the bottom that I open to charge and synchronize the phone. It is waterproof for hours if closed. No need to open the case ever. Though it only takes 10 sec. to open it with a coin if needed.
The touchscreens and buttons can be operated normally through the covers. This does not work good in these “plastic bag” pouches mentioned above.

So this is the kind of protection I would like for a fairphone 3, too. Actually it keeps me from buying one, knowing that I can not protect and disinfect it properly.

So, please, @lifeproof, @otterbox, griffin and all the other manufacturers, make and sell us cases that keep our ethical phones safe!

Thanks!

T the summer

Hi,
and welcome to the forum.

In fact this seems to be something quite a few users would like to lay their hands on.

Have you tried contecting those companies already?
That would seem more promising, than posting that wish here in this forum.
And I doubt, that Fairphone themselves will go that way, since they have enough work already to bring Android 9 to the FP2 and level out bugs with Android 10 on the FP3 (+). :wink:

I only can advise all users wanting a waterproof case to contact those companies.
The higher the demand, the more likely one will give it a try.

I use a simple ziplock bag.

I have had a Seidio case for my samsung galaxy SIII which I used daily for at least 5 years. (See here: https://www.amazon.com/Seidio-CSWSSGS3-BK-Waterproof-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B009XBCORO) The phone still looks and works like new (except for the battery of course and it is slow compared to newer phones). It felt so good to just wash the phone under the tap. Dropping it never was a problem. The rubber flap for charging it or plugging in headphones worked perfectly.

They advertised with the military grade protection: you could ride over it with a truck and it would be unharmed.
It is such a shame Seidio is out of business (and that they never made Fairphone cases). But I think this shows that such a durable every day case is possible.

I now have a Fairphone which I am super happy with, but the lack of a shockproof, waterproof case is the biggest disadvantage for me.

I have written to lifeproof, otterbox and griffin to ask for such a case. Here are the contact forms if you want to join me:
Contact form for Lifeproof: Contact Us

3 Likes

And the other two contact forms:
Contact form for Otterbox: Contact Us
Contact form for Griffin: Contact Us – Griffintechnology.com

I also looking for the FP3 phone case. I wonder if there is a waterproof phone case for FP3 that will be great. Summer is coming and I always go swimming with my families. So I want a waterproof phone case like this, which can protect my phone in the water.

Hi and welcome to the forum. There is no waterproof case for the FP3 as such but you may find options to protect it on the beach, Initially I would wrap it in cling film and then insert it in the official case.

Or just keep it in a waterproof bag until you want to use it. Whatever you do ensure it is absolutely dry before encasing the phone for any prolonged period.

2 Likes

Am I making it up or did I see the dimensions to enable some one with a plastic printer, print out a case?

I am in the same boat 3 f.p in and still looking the other 2 died due to water

The Waka Power is 122 mm tall and FP3 is 160 or so. So I don’t think it will fit. But the idea is good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I too would like to upgrade to a waterproof (and more shock-proof) outer case. Easy to repair should not mean having to repair often and I’m terrified of what a little rain or wetness will do the phone.

How many phones does someone like Otterbox need to consider making a case? I see them making cases for more popular phones.

2 Likes

Did you got any replies?

3 Likes

I did get one reply (forgot which of the 3 replied, I deleted the email), but I did not give me the hope they would make such a case any time soon.

4 Likes

I also sent a letter to all three companies. I don’t expect a reply or actual case, but it’s an attempt at least.

I do wonder about Lifeproof. They seem to have some marketing about sustainability and I’ve seen their cases among waterproofed cases. Maybe a more concentrated campaign towards Lifeproof and how the Fairphone is more sustainable than most might hit a chord?

To make my FF3 waterproof I simply use a ziplock back. Tapping on the screen is not super accurate anymore but I think it’s good enough during trekking or cycling.
Also it’s harder to read the screen in direct sunlight, but usually there is no direct sunlight when I need a waterproof pone :yum:

2 Likes

I’d like to note that I got responses but they were generic PR responses. They were from Griffin and Lifeproof.

1 Like

Yes. That’s how it could be solved. But a real waterproof case with a bumper function would be much better.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I know that there was already a topic about a waterproof case for the FP3.
However as it had been closed time ago I want to create a new one and ask for recommendations.

Is there any outdoor-case (waterproof and shookproof) like on iPhones, Samsung, etc. where the Fairphone can fit in (preferely with the bumper)?

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

1 Like