VoLTE on Fairphone 4 with /e/ with Vodafone germany

Let me explore this further.
When I am at home and can go to the basement where I definitely have no reception

1 Like

By the way I have A11 on an FP3

I vaguely remember an option to allow auto switching between network and Wi-Fi in A10 and am now looking for it in A11 :slight_smile:

OK found it :slight_smile: Not easy to find when there is no network as I can’t access the network options via EE (SIM) as greyed out due to aeroplane mode :blush:

So searched for Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi calling > Wi-Fi calling > Calling preference

OK Settings > Network and Internet > Mobile network > Advanced > Wi-Fi calling > Calling preference

So easy to forget and get lost

My comment was about Simon Mobile FAQs used by @2IRS, not e/OS or FP4😉 for sure theoretically and often also practically it works in the FP4

Just wondering how we can help further: why is VoLTE so important for you? Phone calls will use 2G if VoLTE is not available and the only obstacle I could think of is that you cant use mobile data in parallel.

Did the test now in the basement

As you can see in screenshot. Mobile network was not available but switched on. WLAN is available and strength is enough and WLAN is open. Not restricted.
VoWiFi is definitely available in my contract, because it was working in my old Pixel 5.

I get this message. I can only press cancel, The message dissapear, but nothing happens then.
If I switch of “Use SIM” so that is completely deactivated I get the message that mobile data is not available, but not the message that I should connect to a WLAN.

So, VoWiFi is not working for me on FP4, iodé 3.0

3 Likes

Was Wi-Fi calling enabled first when you had a network connection?

I had to first go somewhere there was a network to connect before the network enabled the Wi-Fi calling on the phone. Maybe it needed to do a handshake to get to know the phone before it would allow a Wi-Fi connect.

Yes, it was

1 Like

That is odd: if Wi-Fi as it has to connect to be enabled. To then it gets disabled whilst showing it is available ??

So is this just a Vodafone Germany thing, again. Are you able to use someone else SIM on a different network to see that Wi-Fi calling works as expected.

It may still be an iodéOS thing… :wink:

2 Likes

It may still be a LOS 19.1 thing… :wink:

2 Likes

I know that Wi-Fi Calling isn’t available with SIMon. I just wanted to confirm that the missing VoLTE option is not limited to other OS but also with the stock OS on FP4.

I tried that IMS thingy and whether I have the Wi-Fi Calling enabled or disabled, the IMS Status reads “Voice over LTE: Available”

So not sure if it is available only or actually enabled.

Not quite sure if all this is due to missing config files in /data/vendor/modem_config/mcfg_sw/generic/
@Ray-Ven Is there a file /data/vendor/modem_config/mcfg_sw/generic/EU/Vodafone/VoLTE/Germany/mcfg_sw.mbn on your phone?

I’ve got the file for Vodafone on LineageOS, but @AlphaElwedritsch already mentioned that VoLTE with Vodafone worked for him on a LOS 18 based ROM. I’m missing something similar for my provider Telefonica, so that leads me to the conclusion it could be the cause.

1 Like

hmm. My phone isn’t rooted. I couldn’t even access it with adb (debugging on) :frowning:
any suggestions?

So we have to wait for any user of a rooted /e/os device to have a look. I tried to extract the files from the newest Fairphone image, but it seems they are getting generated in the install process (or are stored at some place I have not found yet).

To answer your question:

• I want to be able to surf while a call
  • VoWiFi and VoLTE are using the same technique, so VoWiFi won’t work too
  • VoWiFi makes it possible to make calls in areas were’s no reception
  • Soundquality can be way better
  • Because it’s cool and I’ve paid for it :smiley:
1 Like

so there isn’t a way to look at the files without root? How about an image/backup?

Yes, this file is there on /e/OS (0.23-r-…stable-FP4):

1 Like

Not really VoWiFi uses Wi-Fi 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands via the internet
VoLTE uses the network you buy into with your SIM card. In vague terms VoLTE means using the 4G protocols over a variety of frequencies via local masts.

LTE frequency bands, in the UK, range from 0.8Ghz up to 2.6Ghz

5G has two wide areas (not to be confused with 5Ghz Wi-Fi)

• 0.4Ghz to 7GHz ( with a range of bands, some overlapping with 4G and
  • then there is the really high bands up to 100Ghz

Sure I was just wondering if there is any special urgency, that it should work is agreed😉

Just found this, maybe try again once everything was fixed by Vodafone

In the Vodafone Forum is a topic from 2019 stating the following. I remember vaguely for O2 I had ims APN in the past, and even if this is somehow obsolete, it might be worth it to check the APN

Aber da es bei mir trotzdem nicht angezeigt wird, hab ich weiter gesucht und bin auf die Info gestoßen, dass der IMS-Dienst “registriert” sein muss. Ich habe zwar den APN “ims” in den Einstellungen stehen,

or did you try to reset all Network entries to force the phone to re-register (Einstellungen-System-Optionen zum zurücksetzen) I would make Screenshots of the current APN before

I know, but:

IMS is parent technology for both VoLTE & VoWifi. VoWifi is just extension to existing VoLTE Service served by IMS Platform. IMS provides many functions related to SIP-based calling.

and as both are not working, it seems to be an IMS issue.

no, didn’t - I’ve checked my APN data. But probably I’ll try that one. I’m wondering if “normal” Android on FP4 is suffering from the same issue, too. Because there’s another FP4 /e/ complaining about the same issue I think it isn’t an APN problem and I’d like confirmation about that before