Upgrading LOS for microG to 15.1 (feedback/issues)

Then I think it should be caused by the new Firebase Cloud Messaging API that’s now replacing GCM. microG doesn’t support it (yet?). The bad news is that it will probably take some time for them to reverse engineering it… :confused:

Maybe an older Signal version might work? Or even today’s 27/08 update? (I installed 20/08). It seems weird to me since other users do not report this problem :confused:.

It’s a good idea. Since the registration process needs to be passed just once, no more users are suffering for this, I guess. Anyway, if you catch some logat (how to here, #los:logcat), I would be able to read what’s the exact problem is.

FYI and topic related… Bounty for Implementing FCM to microg

Edit by @Roboe: microG project needs support to migrate to new cloud messaging service

2 Likes

After trying around some times with different installation orders, it somehow worked out. Didn’t seem to be any specific problem though. I have the 27/08 version now with GCM enabled, but only Signal seems to use it and WhatsApp and Telegram not.

However, I always get the notification about push notifications from Telegram. Anyone knows how to get rid of those?

Apart from that the system is very fast and it was definitely worth the upgrade.

There’s an option somewhere in Telegram’s settings to switch between GCM or their own push notifications service (I can’t find it in the FOSS version available at F-Droid).
Any app that needs to have a service running all the time, like push notifications, need to show a permanent notification for it. If you prefer the Telegram push service, you could tap and hold the notification and reduce the notification “importance level” to the minimum (don’t know the English naming). That way it’s only shown when you swipe down to show the notification drawer.

If one wants to use Signal with Websockets and without the need for MicroG or GAPPS you should deactivate MicroG or remove it and install the Signal-APK from here: https://signal.org/android/apk

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it is included, but microG Services Core has received a new update some minutes ago. At least, it will fix the insistent “Google Play Services need to be updated” pop-up.

3 Likes

Thanks for that advice. It was a hustle to get it working at all, so for the time I will stay with it. I would prefer an option to choose websockets in the settings.

@Roboe: I removed the Telegram notification as you explained. Thanks a lot again!

1 Like

it does not.
dazn, nrk tv and nrk super app still ask for a GPS update :persevere:
(haven’t tried any other)

Without connecting them to the internet (because I don’t trust closed-source apps), they have not thrown any pop-up to me. Apps usually throw it at opening, so I can’t reproduce your issue. Could you make sure your microG Services Core are updated to 0.2.5.12879?

I wasn’t. I am now, and it’s working now.
sorry for that. I thought F-Droid would download AND install, which it does usually, but somehow not this time.
Thank you!

2 Likes

That’s because Marvin (the main developer) is not releasing updates as stable. It’s simply not possible to launch stable releases for reverse engineering projects whose sands are constantly changing. And due to these sands changing (i.e. breaking apps), anyway people need to update for compatibility, :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I experienced two quite high battery drops today. Then suddenly without charging (!!) Battery went up again from 14% to 35%… Did anyone else experience this? Is this a result of a 2 1/2 year old battery? Quite interesting I think :slight_smile:

Possibly.
Warranty on the batteries is 1 year.

1 Like

Hi all!

I’ve just upgraded my FP2 from LOS14.1 microG fork to LOS15.1 microG fork.
All seems working except apps installing. The system refuses to install any app, or update, from any position.
From Files app I can’t see FP2 root, only sdcard, documents, downloads exc… On LOS14.1 I could see also FP2 root. I don’t know if this issue is related with the installation problem.

Any idea?

Thank you very much!

Matteo

Open the menu → “Show Internal Storage”

1 Like

Hello Matteo,

do you using Magisc?
There is a error with Magisc that causes that problem.
The LOS Roor zip works well for me.

1 Like

Update went fine!
Download from the updater; installation launched from the updater too. Automatic reboot in recovery. I had nothing to do!

Same here, updater did it’s job. And the annoying ‘update google services’ is gone!