Upgrade error: unable to find partition for path '/system'

After upgrading to Android 7.1.2 (from 19.08.1 to 19.11.2) through the Updater App, my phone shows TWRP (3.1.1-0). The discussions at this forum are helpful, but I’m still unsure what to do next.

When I click “Reboot” > “System”, it shows the warning “No OS Installed! Are you sure you wish to reboot?”. I found that this might be a false alarm sometimes (but in which situations?)

When I click “Install” > “cache” > “fp_update_gms-24df0be9.zip”, it shows the warning “This operation may install incompatible sofware and render your device unusable”.

Although post Problem when upgrading the phone acknowledges these issues, it’s not clear to me what would be the best step to take next. Would you recommend to Reboot or to try Install via TWRP?

Many thanks in advance!

Yes indeed, it probably is a false alarm. Sometimes it happens :man_shrugging: And in any case, it won’t break anything, it will just reboot to TWRP or to fastboot mode if there indeed isn’t any OS installed. So I would advise you to just try to reboot, and if it doesn’t work, try to flash the zip in the cache or reinstall FPOS.
Btw., are you under Fairphone Open OS or Fairphone OS?

Would be curious to know how TWRP 3.3.1-0 arrived on your FP2 when upgrading to 19.11.2… Did you install it manually?

3 Likes

Many thanks for your swift and helpful response!
In the meantime, I performed a manual upgrade, which worked perfectly (I was hesitant to do this while the error messages were still there, but there was no need :slightly_smiling_face: )

Thank you for explaining the TWRP rebooting process, that can be helpful in the future!

I’m not completely sure, but I’d say I’m under Fairphone OS.

Haha, that is a good question! I did not install anything manually when TWRP 3.3.1-0 opened. Perhaps the install through Updater was already quite far (?)

… with the mentioned older TWRP version being 3.1.1-0, which Fairphone maintained themselves. After issues in connection with Android 7 Fairphone dropped maintaining their own TWRP and bundled the stock Android recovery with their OSes again starting with OS version 19.11.2. …

The community-maintained, up-to-date TWRP from twrp.me can still be installed and used by users favouring TWRP.

The original mention of 3.1.1-0 makes sense, since it came bundled with the Fairphone OS and Fairphone Open OS Android 7 releases at first.
When the update to 19.11.2 succeeds, TWRP should be gone, replaced with the stock Android recovery.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.