Updating LineageOS 16.0 for microG via TWRP + feature test

Interestingly: I tried to use Trafi, on which Jelbi is based. Trafi works perfektly fine…

Jepp, Öffis und Tanke-Apps etc funzen auch. Alles auf google maps basierende Zeug funzt momentan nicht. Vielleicht wurde Maps “gehärtet” um nur den eigenen Standortdienst zu nutzen?

I checked the permissions required. I guess it’s because of this “read Google service configuration”

But this permission was required as well using LO15. Wasn’t it? Has there been any problem? If not it’s really a special LO16 issue.

Next issue I’ve detected is the missing ability to setup any tts-engine. Both Google-tts as well as Flite-tts crashing the setup process. A voiceless navigation isn’t sexy :frowning:

Update Installed via custom TWRP 3.2.3 … although currently no luck with encryption.
TWRP 3.3.1-0 (Releases) seems to have trouble with encryption in general.

• lineage-16.0-20190617-microG-FP2.zip (Changelog)
    • Security patch level:
      up to date (Settings - Security & location - Trust)
      2019-06-05 (adb shell getprop ro.build.version.security_patch)
    • Vendor security patch level:
      out of date (Settings - Security & location - Trust)
      2018-04-01 (adb shell getprop ro.lineage.build.vendor_security_patch)

The following things work for me so far:

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • internet via mobile network
  • screenshot
  • main camera (new module) works correctly with Open Camera, stock camera App not checked, didn’t operate the flash correctly last time I checked.
  • main camera (new module) video recording
  • selfie camera (new module)
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording with stock camera App not checked, worked correctly last time I checked, Open Camera records only black if surrounding light is too dark or changes into too dark while you move.
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • alarm (no alarm sounding with volume set too low.)
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.12
  • Root access (Settings - System - Advanced - Developer options - Root access)
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • Bluetooth (data connection, music playback … pairings survived the update)
  • FM radio
  • weather (Yorecast with my own OpenWeatherMap API Key, Weather Widget)

For reporting bugs see the bottom of this page.

2 Likes

For me navigation worked without problem… It’s the mobility apps that dont work. DriveNow works without problem. MILES, urbi and jelbi not… :frowning:

My weather app (KMI) - which uses location as well - also crashed as soon as I opened it, a while ago (LOS 16.0, version of beginning of June). Weirdly, upon removing the app and re-installing it via Aurora Store, it worked again - for a while. Today (a few updates later) it crashed again. Just re-installed it and it’s fine now.

1 Like

How did you managed it to properly setup your tts-engine?

I use magic earth as a navigation app. The voice in the navigation works without problem. I did not do anything special.

3 Likes

You made my Day, Thank you. What a pretty app. The only thing is it’s not provided by F-Droid.

Update Installed via custom TWRP 3.2.3 … although currently no luck with encryption.
TWRP 3.3.1-0 (Releases) seems to have trouble with encryption in general.

• lineage-16.0-20190624-microG-FP2.zip (Changelog)
    • Security patch level:
      up to date (Settings - Security & location - Trust)
      2019-06-05 (adb shell getprop ro.build.version.security_patch)
    • Vendor security patch level:
      out of date (Settings - Security & location - Trust)
      2018-04-01 (adb shell getprop ro.lineage.build.vendor_security_patch)

The following things work for me so far:

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • internet via mobile network
  • screenshot
  • main camera (new module) works correctly with Open Camera, stock camera App not checked, didn’t operate the flash correctly last time I checked.
  • main camera (new module) video recording
  • selfie camera (new module)
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording with stock camera App not checked, worked correctly last time I checked, Open Camera records only black if surrounding light is too dark or changes into too dark while you move.
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • alarm (no alarm sounding with volume set too low.)
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.12
  • Root access (Settings - System - Advanced - Developer options - Root access)
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • Bluetooth (data connection, music playback … pairings survived the update)
  • FM radio
  • weather (Yorecast with my own OpenWeatherMap API Key, Weather Widget)

For reporting bugs see the bottom of this page.

1 Like

OsmAnd supports pre-recorded speech packages as a fallback solution if TTS fails. You will have to download the pre-recorded package for your desired language first (you can do that in the map downloads section, just scroll down beyond the maps) to be able to select it as speech output for navigation.

Regarding TTS in LineageOS 16.0 …

I found this here … 9.0 pie - Default text-to-speech (TTS) engine in LineageOS 16.0? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange … suggesting the formerly used Pico TTS would now be dead and would not return, and as an Open Source alternative there’s Flite TTS on F-Droid … https://f-droid.org/en/packages/edu.cmu.cs.speech.tts.flite/

But there’s more to it than just installing it, I found further (German) hints here … Kuketz IT-Security Forum ⋆ IT-Sicherheit | Datenschutz.
Apparently you have to activate the engine in Settings - Accessibility - Text-to-speech output and you can also select a language there.

For me OsmAnd does indeed TTS-talk this way in English, but the results are rather funny for German street names, and there seems to be no German Flite voice … the pre-recorded German speech package sounds much better for German.

1 Like

Thank you for your effort but since magic world runs flawless there is no reason for me to suffer through any setting up process for obsoleted or outdated tts engine. The pre-recorded speech package is out of the question, it’s dreadful :smiley:

Hey, I upgraded to 16.0 and everything is all good, despite forgetting to sideload the modem file. What is it for? Should I install this?

Please see #modemfiles.

2 Likes

Thank you. I was looking for a page like that but just couldn’t find it.

Ah, good old festival. Yeah, that is open source… and very old [1]… and the quality is… subpar, to put it friendly.

[1] festival/NEWS at master · festvox/festival · GitHub

@anon43238275, what about this bug?
I did not think about it this morning and overslept. :smiley:

(no alarm sounding with volume set too low)

Steven

I dont know how to fix it :slight_smile:
Chris

3 Likes