English

TWRP 3.3.0-0 can't decrypt Android 7/8/9 encryption

As TWRP 3.3.0-0 is out and still can’t decrypt Android 8/9 encryption (as with LineageOS 15.1/16.0) …

@z3ntu: I saw that adding support for this in TWRP 3.2.3 didn’t work out on the Fairphone 2 in the end.
Is there any hope that support for this encryption could be brought to 3.3.0 now?

Edit: TWRP 3.3.0-0 also can’t decrypt Android 7 encryption. (Thanks, @Volker)

Updating LineageOS 15.1 for microG via TWRP + feature test
Lineage-16.0 (Android Pie) Beta

I really don’t know what the problem is - I’ve spent a bit of time trying to get TWRP to build with the omnirom 9.0 tree but that didn’t work out. I’ll try building it in an omnirom 8.1 tree next, maybe that solves the problem…

Lineage-16.0 (Android Pie) Beta

@z3ntu: it would be great seeing a working decryption with twrp! if i can be of any help please let me know. i can bring basic coding knowledge, an installed android sdk & the willingness to learn :slight_smile:

did you try this fix with 3.3.0-0 (would this be applicable?) https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery/issues/224#issuecomment-454282103

What does “can’t decrypt” mean in your case? Does it not accept the correct decryption pattern oder does it not even show the pattern request to decrypt/mount data?

I’m running a system with /e/ (version 0.5-201905018716, resp. Android 7.1.2). Decryption in TWRP 3.2.3-0 works perfectly, but when using TWRP 3.3.0-0 it even doesn’t ask for decryption password/mount data partition.

It doesn’t ask for the password/pattern.
Message on the terminal output is:

“Could not mount /data and unable to find crypto footer.”

Oh, ok. I hadn’t checked with my LineageOS 14.1-encrypted data partition, but I did now, and I can confirm your finding. It’s the same as with the newer encryption.

@z3ntu: TWRP 3.3.0-0 also doesn’t seem to be able to decrypt Android 7 encryption. So regarding encryption, the Fairphone 2 TWRP 3.3.0-0 seems broken in general.

I can confirm this, I needed to downgrade