Updating LineageOS 15.1 for microG via TWRP + feature test

Update Installed via TWRP 3.2.3-0 (Releases)

The following things work for me so far:

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • internet via mobile network
  • screenshot
  • main camera (new module) works correctly with Open Camera, stock camera App not checked, didn’t operate the flash correctly for ages.
  • main camera (new module) video recording
  • selfie camera (new module)
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording with stock camera App not checked, worked correctly last time I checked, Open Camera records only black after a random number of seconds again.
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.11
  • Root access (Settings - Developer Settings - Root Access)
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • Bluetooth (data connection, music playback … pairings survived the update)
  • FM radio
  • weather (Your local weather with my own OpenWeatherMap API Key, Weather Widget)

For reporting bugs see the bottom of this page.

And here is a Settings reference.

1 Like

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • main camera (new module) works correctly with Open Camera, stock camera App not checked, didn’t operate the flash correctly for ages.
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording with stock camera App not checked, worked correctly last time I checked, Open Camera records only black after a random number of seconds.
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.11
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio
  • weather (Your local weather with my own OpenWeatherMap API Key, Weather Widget)

2 Likes

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording with stock camera App not checked, worked correctly last time I checked, Open Camera records only black if surrounding light is too dark or changes into too dark while you move (this was hinted at by someone, and it seems to be correct, but I can’t seem to find the post at the moment).
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.11
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording with stock camera App not checked, worked correctly last time I checked, Open Camera records only black if surrounding light is too dark or changes into too dark while you move.
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.11
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio

1 Like

Apparently, weather providers for LineageOS 15.1 and 16.0 are finally in the works, which means as in LineageOS 14.1 an extra App wouldn’t be needed for a simple weather Widget for the homescreen.

The Yahoo weather provider is deprecated, though, as Yahoo made API changes.

1 Like

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording with stock camera App not checked, worked correctly last time I checked, Open Camera records only black if surrounding light is too dark or changes into too dark while you move.
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.11
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio

FYI
Marvin, the main developer behind microG says, that he will “set aside 20 hours a week to work solely on microG”. Starting end of february.

… pretty good news!

5 Likes

Great! Do you have a source to deep into the news? Is it because of that German publicly-founded project that funds open source projects? I don’t remember the name.

I’m following the discussion on the XDA-Forum, and yes, I think it’s because of the funding.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78778547&postcount=5519
https://prototypefund.de/project/microg/

Cheers

1 Like

We should fund a developer fixing some kernel and driver stuff for Fairphone… just thinking about new-camera-module related bugs and the WiFi mess :-/.

3 Likes

Hypothetically …

Let’s assume all of the key problems you mentioned weren’t there in Android 6 because of Qualcomm’s work in their blobs. We at least know that there’s nothing coming from Qualcomm anymore and this is the cause for at least some of the issues, even if Fairphone still wouldn’t say yet which issues exactly.

Let’s assume even if Qualcomm are not supporting Android 7 on their Snapdragon 801, they are not giving the sources of their Android 6 blobs - still important intellectual property as they might see it - to anybody … at least not for a reasonable price … and not to Fairphone either.

Let’s assume Fairphone developers right now are doing their best to somehow find ways to fix the Android 7 problems while still having to work with the “black box” Android 6 blobs, and without losing the important Google certification.
(By the way, while the LineageOS community can approach things differently, LineageOS on the Fairphone 2 also suffers from at least the new camera bugs and the lack of Dual-SIM control).

Let’s assume that much … but you could still not say in detail from the outside where efforts are perhaps stuck and you could not know whether an additional developer would actually help.

I would be in favour of instead funding daily progress reports about what’s being done currently by Fairphone developers … if such “surveillance” wouldn’t almost certainly poison the working environment and have adverse effects.
(Who of us gets stuff done better/ faster/ at all when somebody constantly is looking over your shoulder, constantly demanding to know how much progress you make :slight_smile: ?)

So, bottom line … Fairphone would have to come out and say whether they need help, and what exactly they need help with.
And then somebody could step forward and say “Hey, I could help with that, because I have already done [insert helpful expertise here], or because I have some ideas how to tackle this or that which you perhaps didn’t try yet. Could somebody fund me for the time I’m needed with this?”
And then there would be sense in a funding effort … if Fairphone aren’t able or willing to fund it themselves.

3 Likes

I’m far from telling you are wrong, even if I don’t understand how you can be that calm still ;).

My strongest angry feeling results from NOT giving any detailed information, WHY they were not able to fix (e.g. new-cam-module related bugs and Wifi with Android 7 - and yes also LineageOS -> same baseband). I demand to know, what they have done, what is the problem and what they intend to do! If they told me, hey it’s because of Qualcomm not handing us any (driver) source or such and we are currently working on the Wifi driver or something similar, I wouldn’t be that dissappointed from Fairphone!

An “open phone” needs fully transparent communication, technical details and they should also take help from the community. Just think about the “can’t power on, while on charger bug”, there were technical informations and also a community provided fix… it took ages for a clear communication and adopting the fix!

Angry,
Singu

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I fully agree that the communication about the issues could and should be handled much better.

And I don’t understand either why they risk to generate that much anger, agitation and lack of understanding by not communicating clearly to a community which by default is full of goodwill. It just doesn’t seem very clever to me.

1 Like

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.11
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.11
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio

Have you successfully updated with a newer (handmade) modem.zip?

Edit: I just saw there’s a preliminary new modem.zip, but I didn’t use that yet …

So … you can flash the new modem files, and you will get the fancy fastboot mode LED and vibration, and you can turn on the phone again while charging, but if you want the modem files for fixing e.g. the shutdown bug, those fixes are somewhere else, as explained here …

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fp2-fairphone-os-fairphone-open-19-02-1/48239/30?u=anotherelk

And in case you want to try flashing the Fairphone (Open) OS boot.img to a LineageOS installation …

2 Likes

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.11
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio

2 Likes

There was no new update yesterday right?

The LineageOS community seems to be in the process of rescheduling builds, because they recently set 15.1 builds back to weekly in order to be able to have nightly 16.0 builds (for supported devices) …

There’s no new LineageOS for microG build for the Fairphone 2 yet.

1 Like