Updating LineageOS 14.1 via TWRP + feature test

Yes.
Because the update from modem files 17.09.3 to 17.11.2 didn’t change the Baseband version, so even if you saw Baseband version 4437.1-FP2-0-07 on your phone, you could still have outdated modem files (I just now remembered).

In any case, the modem files get installed independently from the OS, so if you run into a problem with a new modem version, you can just install an older version.
Or you can install the latest version again and again and again … doesn’t hurt the OS installation.

2 Likes
  • Edit: Encrypted phone
  • modem-17.11.2.zip (unchanged, Baseband version 4437.1-FP2-0-07)

Update installed via TWRP 3.2.1-0 (Releases)

The following things work for me so far:

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • internet via mobile network
  • screenshot
  • main camera (new module)
  • selfie camera (new module)
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • alarm (incl. swiping it off)
  • MyPhoneExplorer
  • root (via already installed addonsu-14.1-arm-signed.zip, not installed again)
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • Bluetooth (music playback via AV receiver)

For things that might not work there’s a bugtracker.

2 Likes

May i add:
For me additionally work:

• FM Radio (of course only with earphones )
  • Bluetooth connection to car phone system

What i did not try up to now due to all the problems in the past:

• Encryption

Did anyone try it recently?

1 Like

My phone is encrypted, and the updates work with that.
But whether doing the encryption process works with the current version … I don’t know.

1 Like

I encrypted my phone some versions ago and it works.
Root access for a secondary user doesn’t work. The ‘battery charge limit’ app doesn’t work for the secondary user, it also doesn’t for the primary one, if there is a secondary one.

1 Like

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • MyPhoneExplorer
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio

Why are you upgrading Open GApps every time? Is that because you don’t use Play Store?

That would be kind of schizophrenic. I install Open GApps pico exactly to have the Play Store :slight_smile: .

It’s just that when I’m flashing stuff in TWRP anyway, it can’t hurt to update Open GApps, too.
The Play Store gives notices when it updates the Apps I installed from it, but there’s never a notice about the underlying Google service parts, how frequently are they updated?
Perhaps I could look that up somewhere, but why bother? It’s no big deal to just install a fresh Open GApps when I’m installing stuff anyway and I’m fine for another week or so :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Haha, good one, I obviously don’t know out of my head which GApps version contains what exactly.

AFAIK the Play Store can update itself. I mean, do you think someone who has say a SGS8 only gets Play Store upgrade… well when? With their new firmware? Nope, don’t think so. Just a few months ago I have seen a SGS3 with Android 4.3 getting a Play Store upgrade. Via Play Store. AFAIK the same is true for all the other GApps, and I don’t see why some Android versions would be exempt. If Play Store supports that Android API version, it ought to work.

If you’re using LOS without GApps you cannot flash it afterwards. That’s always warned upon: install it now or never.

If you’re using microG, then you can use that to keep your applications updated.

So I still don’t see the point, hence why I asked :stuck_out_tongue:

I do see the point of installing latest modem.zip, even if you already installed that version (ie. no changes). That way, you don’t have to verify whether baseband got updated or not. You just install it because, theoretically, figuring out if its updated takes you more time.

Where do I give the impression that I think that?

You can be as certain as you want that Google updates its stuff somewhen. But that is not the question here, I am very certain of that, too.

The question is: Let’s say you use Open GApps pico, can you claim you know when all of the following stuff was last updated on your phone? …

Arch. API| Application / File / Folder                                  | Version Name                       | DPIs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   all   | etc/default-permissions/default-permissions.xml
   all   | etc/default-permissions/opengapps-permissions.xml
   all   | etc/permissions/privapp-permissions-google.xml
   all   | etc/sysconfig/framework-sysconfig.xml
   all   | etc/preferred-apps/google.xml
   all   | etc/sysconfig/google.xml
   all   | etc/sysconfig/google_build.xml
   all   | etc/sysconfig/whitelist_com.android.omadm.service.xml
   all   | etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
   all   | etc/permissions/com.google.android.media.effects.xml
   all   | etc/permissions/com.google.widevine.software.drm.xml
   all-25| com.google.android.maps.jar
   all-25| com.google.android.media.effects.jar
   all-25| com.google.widevine.software.drm.jar
   all-25| com.google.android.backuptransport                           | 7.1.1-3515457                      | nodpi
   all-25| com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts                     | 7.1.1-3910769                      | nodpi
   all-25| com.google.android.feedback                                  | 7.1.1-3515457                      | nodpi
   all-25| com.google.android.onetimeinitializer                        | 7.1.1-3515457                      | nodpi
   all-25| com.google.android.partnersetup                              | 7.1.1-4158906                      | nodpi
   arm-23| com.google.android.gms                                       | 11.9.51                            | 480 320 240 nodpi
   all-25| com.google.android.gsf                                       | 7.1.1-3515457                      | nodpi
   arm-14| com.android.vending                                          | 8.5.39.W-all                       | 240-320-480
   all-25| com.google.android.setupwizard.default                       | 225                                | nodpi
   all-25| com.google.android.setupwizard.tablet                        | 225                                | nodpi
   all-25| com.google.android.configupdater                             | 7.1.1-3515457                      | nodpi
   all-25| com.google.android.ext.services                              | 1                                  | nodpi
   all-25| com.google.android.ext.shared                                | 1                                  | nodpi
   all-24| com.google.android.gms.setup                                 | 342400.158195997.158195997         | nodpi
   all-25| com.google.android.gsf.login                                 | 7.1.1-3515457                      | nodpi
   arm-23| libjni_latinimegoogle.so
   all-15| com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar                     | 5.2.3-99827563-release             | nodpi
   all   | etc/permissions/com.google.android.dialer.support.xml
   all   | etc/sysconfig/dialer_experience.xml
   all-25| com.google.android.dialer.support.jar
   arm-19| com.google.android.tts                                       | 3.14.7                             | nodpi

(Version information for Open GApps pico from opengapps.org)

I can claim that just now without looking at a single version number and it took me only a little downloading and a few clicks in TWRP when I was in TWRP anyway for the LineageOS update :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: .

Hmm, no I cannot claim I know when those files are updated, but there’s a plethora of other files I don’t know when they’re updated. Nor do I particularly care.

If Google rolls out a Play Store update, how long to you think it takes till its rolled out on every phone provided the phones are allowing the update? That is to say, do you have proof that Google lags pushing their Play Store updates?

I don’t have to think about this because I take action :wink: .

I don’t have to think about this because I take action :wink: .

AFAIK around 7 days (may be more or less now, depending on the division of Google’s rollout map).

1 Like

The question is: Would a Google Play Store rollout be implemented on your MicroG-System? I like @AnotherElk procedure to stay current by upgrading yourself - especially when you can establish a simply workflow.

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • MyPhoneExplorer
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio

3 Likes

After having read above info i also installed lineage-14.1-20180109.
Found that safety-updates are still from December, 5th 2017.
Therefore, assume that updates for Spectre are not yet included.,

Today’s update has security patch level 2018-01-05. Installed without problems using the updater. Don’t have time for a full feature test now, but messaging and audio player work :wink:

4 Likes

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • MyPhoneExplorer
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio

5 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: How to track which CVEs got patched in LineageOS?

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • MyPhoneExplorer
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • Bluetooth (music playback Edit: problem with Panasonic radio was my mistake)
  • FM radio

4 Likes