šŸ‘¼ The Fairphone Angels Program (Local support by community members) - Offers and questions

It may be good to add this advice somewhere. As weā€™re volunteers, I never accept any money for the time I spend, I only ask what I paid for the spare parts I use to repair the phones.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s another idea for what to do when you get money nevertheless. In short: Donate it.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s also what I do when people seeking help insist on paying something or feel better in case they can give back by paying. I ask them to donate themselves or I donate it.

5 Likes

Can you please send them to me?
Iā€™ll need them in the format like e.g. Nomatim creates them e.g. for Plymouth centre (like seen in the bottom line of the following screenshot):N

Thanks.

https://coordinates-converter.com :wink: ?

1 Like

Not sure about this. Iā€™m not in Plymouth but thatā€™s where Iā€™d likely meet people.

So any co-ordinates for Plymouth would doā€¦

N 50.376289, W 4.143841.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used those now for the map.

2 Likes

Please correct the flag for Tipperary (UK ā†’ Ireland).

3 Likes

Iā€™ve corrected it and Tipperary, Plymouth and Cannes are now visible on the Angels map. So ā€œonboardingā€ has been finished. Welcome to all new Angels! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

BTW Just for curiousityā€™s sake, the state of things:
56 Angels, 42 Heavens, 11 countries. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Itā€™s a shame that the Forres haven closed. It would have been an interesting location for a future European Fairphonersā€™ Community Trip. A bit further afield than Amsterdam admittedly, but you can travel most of the way there from London via sleeper train or overnight coach.

Simply out of curiousity, is there any rule about having Angels outside of the region where Fairphone actually sells their phones (ie Europe)?

Iā€™d love to volunteer to be an angel for the Ottawa Canada region (though Iā€™m probably not active enough yet), since I have one of the first Fairphone 4 models in the country.

6 Likes

As the Fairphone Angels program is a completely community-driven project, I do not know of a geographical restriction. So feel free to apply as a Fairphone Angel even if you are from Canada.

7 Likes

Nope, none indeed :wink:

Thereā€™s no rule of being active enough or not :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great you are volunteering! :+1:
And also great you already found Canadaā€™s ā€œhome baseā€ in this forum. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Alright then, thanks for the answers!

Iā€™d like to volunteer to be an Angel for the Ottawa Ontario, Canada region. Of course, since Iā€™d be the only angel in Canada Iā€™d be happy to try and help out people in other regions of Canada, and possibly the US as well (though Iā€™m not traveling to BC to meet you in-person :stuck_out_tongue: ).

I suspect group-buys of parts could be quite convenient if people are interested, since shipping FP stuff to North America is a pain atm.

10 Likes

Thank you very much for volunteering as a new Angel in Canada!
Iā€™ve just added you to the Angels group and sent you information how to proceed.
In case of any further questions please feel free to contact me or any Angel.

EDIT: Ottawa now visible on the Angels map. So ā€œonboardingā€ has been finished. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@NGnius You might want to consider creating an Ottawa topic in this forum (no obligation to do so). Basically it would just offer a landing place for other Fairphoners or people interested in Fairphone in your area. There are no rules what you need to write there, but if you need some inspiration, other local communitiesā€™ topics might be helpful. You can find a couple of these here (and this is where we would be glad to add a link to an Ottawa topic, too): addressbook.fairphone.community

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a good idea, thanks! Judging by the activity level in the Canada-wide topic, Iā€™m not sure itā€™s exactly necessary right now. If I need to make any Ottawa-specific posts I definitely will, though.

Right now, Iā€™m going to watch the US and Canada topics closely and figure out what people want/need and try to make it happen.

8 Likes

Iā€™d like to become a Fairphone Angel in Sandnes, Rogaland, Norway. Itā€™s right south of Stavanger.

13 Likes