🏒 Canadian Fairphoners! 🇨🇦

First be sure to contact official support@fairphone for future ideas on support as this is only a user forum. Secondly it’s unlikely that Fairphone will be expanding outside of Europe anytime soon.

On the

Fairphone is not a network provider only the manufacturer of the phones and the phones are unlocked ready for any sim card.

No problem

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/fairphone-3-plus

Expand Network options

2G (GMS, GPRS, EDGE)

Type - Cat. 33
Frequencies - 850, 900, 1800, 1900 Mhz
2 Likes

Thanks for your relpy, I will wait till there is a canada location/ online shop. I asked them and they said:

If you purchase a Fairphone 3 and plan to use it abroad, you can [find out if it will work on your destination outside of Europe. However, please note that for now we won’t be able to offer you assistance with connection issues in those circumstances. Repairs and replacements are also not supported outside of Europe.

But now I know about the FP and I will get one once they’ll offer sales, repairs and replacements in Canada. There must be one person who’s into this, I subscribed to their youtube channel and hope they’ll announce it!

3 Likes

Hi, I would like to discuss with anyone who possibly tried a Fairphone in Canada. The latest network seems not always working but how can I be sure it will work or not?

Thank you very much!

West coaster from BC here! My FP3+ works great on Fido as well.

2 Likes

Just got my fairphone 3 days ago and it works great :slight_smile: (Burnaby, British Columbia)
In 2 weeks, I will be off to the prairies kind of in the middle of nowhere and lets see how it works. I have full confidence it will do well. Telus user

5 Likes

My Fairphone 4 was just delivered. Possibly the first one in Canada?

Edit: Virgin Plus Mobile SIM (4G) works great on it. Can’t test 5G because Virgin doesn’t support that yet.

6 Likes

Hi there Fairphoners!
My fairphone 3+ in August 2021 in the hands of friends who were stock in Spain for many months and could receive my order where they were staying!
I was very excited, cause to me, this is the dream phone :slight_smile:
There was a couple issues with the microphone and speakerphone at first, but nothing so dramatic!
But then in september 2021, my fairphone dropped in water for a couple of seconds… fell out of my pocket while working outside cause I wasn’t used to have such a big phone…
I opened it all up right away and dried it very good, it seemed good, only a tiny pinch of red on the water damage marker inside the phone.
But then it started to have real difficulties charging (plugged all night and charging 10% or sometimes not at all) and the microphone is getting worst. People don’t really hear me unless I plug my earphones and I can’t at all use the speakerphone (which means no videocalls unless I have earphones on)…
It’s very unfortunate, I contacted the costumer service months ago to try and figure this out. I thought by just changing the bottom module and maybe the speaker module it would be all right (it’s kind of the point to be able to change the broken parts ourselves!) but the costumer service told me it had to be repair.
So since they don’t send shipping labels outside of Europe I’d have to ship the phone somewhere to get the shiping label from them to have it repair, and then send back to that person and then sent back to me.
Sounds very complicated to me. It’s the down side of having a phone that can’t be repair in the same continent as @Ace_S said before.
So I checked to get the bottom module anyway, but it seems it’s not available on any platforms (Clove, Vireo, not even on the website of Fairphone…)
So my question is: do you know a place in Canada (preferably in QuĂŠbec) that can repair Fairphone?
Do you know I could find a bottom module that works and fits in my Fairphone 3+?

I feel so sorry and fustrated about this situation :frowning:
Thanks for reading and thanks for the help!

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Yes being outside the Fairphone area is a pain.

Not sure if will help but you may want to try drying more

I opened it all up right away and dried it very good, it seemed good, only a tiny pinch of red on the water damage marker inside the phone.

Did you dismantle the modules? Water or more precisely dampness can get into the modules let alone contaminate and help corrosion of the contacts?

You may like to read up on [water, damage] etc. here on the forum, there are a lot . . .

https://forum.fairphone.com/tag/waterdamage

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=red%20square

2 Likes

Hi again,

I just became the first Fairphone Angel in Canada, woohoo! I’ll be watching this topic extra closely now and hopefully I can help bolster the community in Canada and North America, if not just Ottawa.

But enough about this big nerd (me), what do you want from the local FP community? I know shipping can be a bit of a pain, so I was thinking of arranging some group buys of parts if there’s interest.

7 Likes

Hi Amoun,
Thanks for your response!
I tried to disamtle the bottom module, but it seems I don’t have the right tool to do the extra mini screws…
And since it had water damage 3 months ago, the water damage forum doesn’t really help :frowning:
But thanks for your support!

1 Like

It would definitly be good to create a buyer’s group (for bottom modules for example :wink: )

2 Likes

There’s now (at least) one FP4 on the west coast of Vancouver Island! :star_struck:

5 Likes

Hi and welcome.

So assuming it’s you, :slight_smile: which did you buy and who did you get it from ?

Welcome to the Canadian FP4 club! (Is it a club if there’s only two of us?)

3 Likes

@amoun, thanks, good to be here. So refreshing to deal with a phone company that is a leader in sustainability. And not only do they tell us how to jail break their device, but encourage it. :grinning:

I got the FP4 5G from Clove. Six days after ordering it, it was in my hands.

After a few tense moments, I got /e/OS loaded and running.

1 Like

@NGnius, do I get the hint that you’re also a westerner?

1 Like

Sometimes I wish I were, but I’m not. I live in Ottawa

1 Like

Let’s make it three. Toronto here. Biding my time until 5 comes out and then ready to jump into Fairphones. How are the two of you handling parts and accessories? Clove doesn’t seem to have all the goodies as the main site. Are you redirecting through the German mail two-step?

Hey, welcome!

I haven’t ordered a part as of yet, but that’s the plan unless iFixit or another seller starts shipping parts directly to Canada.

Alberta Fairphone 4 user checking in. Working great on TELUS.

2 Likes