Technologies for Fairphone 5

I guess, this question has not been answered so far. Those kind of adaptors/cables are already for sale. I guess, it would be too much to ask from fairphone to produce a larger variety of different cables.
Just search on your preferred market place for “usb c angled” and you will be presented with a lot of possibilities; even with magnetic solutions.
E.g.
USB C 1
USB C 2

3 Likes

I tried to delay buying a smart phone for a long time. My Online-Banking won’t work without smart phone any longer. So I guess now the time has come…

My old school mobile phone works > 1 week without reloading. Now I am looking for a “smart” phone that I do not need to charge every day.

The ideal solution for me would be a smart phone with two screens / operation systems, so that I am able to use the “smart” features only when needed and otherwise use some “retro” option for phone calls and SMS, only. With an 6000 mAh battery I would expect it to last > 1 month.

Unfortunately, such a “dual-mode” phone does not seem to exist, yet? (There are a few ones with multiple screens, but no explicit energy saving mode related to that.)

Sustainability is important for me and that’s why I am interested in Fairphone, Shift and Rephone.
However, the small capacity of the current Fairphone battery does not really attract me.

Compared to my old school mobile phone, a larger screen would have the advantage, that the smart phone could be used as navigation system when traveling by bike. However, when traveling with my bike, I also do not want to recharge every 1…2 days.

=> I would love to see a plan for a next generation Fairphone, that has a larger battery capacity and improved options for energy saving, e.g. by including an alternative mini display.

• The larges replaceable battery I could find so far has a capacity of 6000 mAh (as replacement for Lg 3 battery ).

• The Gigaset GX6 has a 5000 mAh replaceable battery

• The Rephone has a 4500 mAh replaceable battery .

Related, old Fairphone thread:

Related discussion on Shift forum:

1 Like

when you dont have many apps installed needing mobile data and you dont use your phone often it will last a few days I guess, all network activities can be disabled as long as not needed, so that you can still use it as a phone and nothing more. such a large battery would most likely make the phone extrem bulky and it is already too big for many user.

Btw welcome and I moved your question to an existing topic collecting wishes for future Fairphones

2 Likes

Thank you for moving my suggestion to the right place.

2 Likes

LG InnoTech just started offering standardized camera modules including some with variable telephoto zoom (yes like in the Sony Xperia 1 IV).

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxK9rNeJ0XWLFmH1G1TJJ7P8bBOasXwfBz

I’d love to see Fairphone work with suppliers & fellow ultrarepairable phone brands to standardize more component modules & internal connectors specifications.

Like, what if the all the parts except the motherboard and chassis were interchangeable and upgradable between several models or even a few brands of phones?

3 Likes

After Apple and Google, Oppo has just announced the development of their own processor for their mobiles, so maybe the Fairphone 5 could be based on a fully open HW processor, like RISC-V.

8 Likes

IP68 in a phone which could be fully disassembled with one screw driver. Are you serious? This requirement is absolutely incompatible with fairphone.

3 Likes

@schnumbl
From my own experience with the FP3, the battery lasts almost a week when turning off WLAN and bluetooth.
Playing games or reading news/books with lots of display useage drains the battery as well.

Just using it as a phone on the other hand, results in battery life comparable to a so called “dumb-phone”.
Therefore a smartphone with just one screen and one OS might be enough, if you use it accordingly.
But using it for navigating on the bike will be a no-go if the battery shall last a week.
Maybe you could attach a (solar?) power-bank for that special use-case?

heh what kind of a use case is that… not using your sceen, disabling almost everything. you dont need a smartmofo for such a usecase ;p seriously. lasting with fancy gadgets by locking them up and away and never touching them, dunno whose usecase that might be. a museum maybe. cant be serious. battery lasting a week? on the FP3? no way. not even two days. no heavy user here. same goes with FP4. :confused:

1 Like

I want for the fairphone 5, that is has no ghost touches.

1 Like

Have you read the discussion I was referencing?

Therefore my explanation, that my FP3 lasts a week, if I use it like an old-school phone with “retro” options only.

3 Likes

Hi!

I have been watching and waiting for ARCore support for several years, in my head, maybe I should say so on a forum too :slight_smile:

Would also prefer a SE sized phone, but for a dev AR support is the show stopper.

2 Likes

Please just a good and consumer friendly camera. It can also be a FP3 or a FP4 with a good functioning app/ software. I dont want 1000MP… Give me 5MP and good colors, sharp and fast. In different circumstances. So I have nice pictures of my daughter, at the moment and not 3 seconds later, unsharp and bad lighting/colors.

Maybe the FP5 could be canceled and they start with a Fair Camera, which also could be used to make calls and share data?

3 Likes

There are a lot of precedents that managed it. Like the Galaxy S7 (IP68, up to 1.5 m for 30 minutes) and S5 (IP67 up to 1m for 30 mins)
More examples: 300 phones with IP X7 or IP X8 rating Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

2 Likes

I don’t want a physical keyboard on my smartphone.

2 USB Type-C ports. This would allow me to easily connect my power bank and wired headphones simultaneously when moving, or my charger and portable monitor elsewhere.

I want the same green dotted back cover like FP4 has :smiling_face:

I think an USB C Y Adapter will do the trick on current devices.

I think a second port on coming devices wont disturb most users but in the very most cases it wouldn’t be used by the owners.

It won’t. Type-C ports are delicate for my use-cases. In the absence of USB standards-compliant locking pin threads, a 2nd port means less strain, cost, and bulk.

Actually, in that vein, a significantly more useful and less invasive modification would be inclusion of those small threads horizontally beside the USB-C port. I’ve already needed to replace my port due to damage.

The market for a cellular-connected smart camera is small, so it is not a viable endeavour for Fairphone. Additionally, such products already exist, albeit in a somewhat inferior form – My dream mirrorless camera runs on Android, so why isn't there a good one yet? | TechRadar