Since I upgraded my FP2 to Fairphone Open 17.09.3 (no GApps nor microG, Xposed+XPrivacy) not everything is working as expected.
(eventually I should say that the way to Android 6 was a bit arduous: Upgrade + Encryption problem -> factory reset )
As most things I use day by day works fine (Browsing, Install Apps via F-Droid, Messaging with Conversations or Signal, tacking app+data backup with oandbackup, backups via TWRP to external SD) I had some time to observe the situation.
It seems to be somehow related to system apps/functionalities and especially when they have to access the storage of the phone. Of course there is storage available more than 15GB free internal and 90GB on the external SD card.
Apps/functionality/dialog examples: Camera, Gallery, Downloads, Package Installer, “Recent” dialog (whenever it is shown up e.g. access external sd via Amaze)
Some examples of these tasks which are related to the problem:
- Taking a screenshot - e.g. simply from the home-screen --> Volume down + Power button (Notification message: “Couldn’t capture Screenshot - Can’t take screenshot due to limited storage space, or it isn’t allowed by the app or your organization”)
- Using the default Camera App (is showing “Insert an SD card before using the camera.”)
- Most operations within Gallery App (Sharing a picture, click on edit pencil when a picture is opened -> leads to pop up message “Cannot load the image” )
- Install an APK via Package Manager (After clicking on Install it shows: App not installed. - The package appears to be corrupt.)
- Download an APK via Yalp (Download icon is shown only very short in the status bar. After some time a Notification message: " Unknown file storage error" is shown)
- Save a new note in the App Omni Notes FOSS (phone hangs for a short while and reboots after that)
There might be more issues. At the end I’m pretty sure that all of them have the same root cause.
-> Something prevents the storage operations.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I see Apps under Data Usage which are just named by five-digit number.
I don’t know if this has the same root-cause as the other problems but at least this looks somehow strange that there seems to be some kind of name resolving problem for some apps
I can currently use the phone as I use an alternative for nearly all default apps, but it is really annoying e.g. that I cannot:
- take screenshots
- use the external SD correctly
- use Yalp
- add notes to Omni Notes FOSS
Thanks for any idea how I can resolve this or at least how to come closer to the root cause.