Synchronising calendar with Android (free software and services)

Dear Stephan

for a complete newby like me could you please be a bit more specific regarding the use of “Add to calendar”?
I downloaded it and I transfered a ics file via USB to the Fairphone. I cannot find a possibility to import it in the stock calendar which comes with the phone. What am I missing?

Best regards,

George

Ok, fiddling around I found the solution to the riddle posed:

DL & install “Calendar ICS adapter” from F-droid.
Transfer an ICS file to your Fairphone.
Open the file manager and tap on the ICS file. You are offered
two possibilities, select “import to calendar”

Regards

George

2 Likes

Thanks George. I also found one could subscribe to a calendar ics file on internet, thanks to the app “Icalsync2” that you just need to point to the url. That’s cool to permanently keep an up-to-date copy of home-published calendars…

1 Like

@Kris_S at the moment I am googlified, but I have used it in the past (free account); it was more limited then but calendar and contact syncing worked well. I believe they now also have a web based calendar interface. I might try it again myself…

Mmh, seems interesting, but it isn’t clear if the service is free or fee-ed…

There is a very good (and secure, and advert-free) email and calendar etc. provider in Germany, called posteo:

“Posteo is an independent email provider based in Berlin. We offer encrypted, anonymous and sustainable email accounts, address books and calendars. Our service is completely ad-free and self-financed.
Posteo was founded in 2009. We want to provide an impetus for greater security, privacy and sustainability on the internet, and offer alternatives.”.

They are a good combination with my Fairphone (google-free, I only use open source / f-droid Apps).
And in combination with DAVDroid it is very easy to sync the calendar.
Posteo costs a little fee, but it is possible to pay anonymously as well (and you get some free aliases to the main emailadress) so it is very good
My only calendar problem is that the script / numbers of the dates are so very small on the FP. Is there any way to set them bigger?

1 Like

Posteo does not integrate anything, it just provides another server service.

I should probably respond in a seperate topic, but I’ll write it here anyway: The only solution would be to make the overall letters bigger. (Settings > Display)

Thank you!
But it is only a problem with the calendar, the letters / scripts are bigger in all other apps.

Where are they very small? At th Calendar or Calendar Widget?
If this is the case you can simply use alternate Apps. Because this are just “viewers” they have nothing to do with syncing the data. I love aCalendar+ but it is not Open Source so it won’t be an option for you. But I am confident that F-Droid offers some alternative Calendar Apps, too. So you might be able to find one with bigger scripts.

regards,
Shiny

DAVDroid really kills it. And it’s available for free on F-Droid.

3 Likes

Consider donating to them, the makers are from Austria (in fact a town near to where I live…) :wink:

The MyPhoneExplorer application seems to not work anymore on Windows 10… anyone else got that too?

What could I use now to sync my data? Thunderbird, etc…

I guess they will very soon release a version, which works with Windows 10.

A fairly easy alternative, if you are ok with the cloud, would be: Thunderbird <> posteo.de <> DavDroid.

Thanks, but I’ve just tried on my desktop and managed to make it work (going from charge only to media device). That software is a bit annoying. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh, so it does work on Windows 10? :slight_smile:

At least on my desktop :stuck_out_tongue:

ICSdroid has made its appearance on F-Droid. :slight_smile: It is by the same people, who make DAVdroid. The app lets you subscribe to online *.ics calendars, like provided by universities or companies.

2 Likes

Hey guys,
my wife has a Fairphone and we want to sychonise our calenders via icloud.
I’m using DavDroid an it works great for posteo.de, but when I want to add my icloud calendar it is not working.
Can you give me help, why this don’t want to work? Is it because I use the two-steps auhtetification with my apple account?
I read this already: https://davdroid.bitfire.at/configuration

Edit 5 Minutes later:
I found the way. Like for gmail you need to create a password just for the app and then it works with davdroid.

It have a free limited account. It’s fine to synchronize 1 phone and 1 desktop computer.
But… what about privacy and those stuff?

I’ve just started using posteo.de (as suggested by @Ruth_FP1 here). They have encryption, two-factor-authentication and a pretty nice privacy policy.