Support for WPA3 still missing

We already had once support for WPA3 but it was removed.

“In Faiphone OS v.077 we have disabled support to WPA3 because we found out that it was causing issues with some WPA3 routers.”.

So far so good but why not keeping the WPA3 option and let the people switch to WPA2 if it does not work as intended instead of removing it alltogether?

May I ask when we can expect this feature to be available again?

3 Likes

Hi Joe. You may get a more realistic answer if you contact support at fair phone dotcom, after all this is just a user forum. Fairphone occasionally may look at some new topics but I you may a long wait on that front.

Could you please tag your topic to make clear which FP this is about?

2 Likes

Can confirm that WPA3(SAE) works fine on FP4.

This links to a topic from March 2021, months before the first FP4 had shipped. You sure you’re not talking about the FP3(+)? Have you tried it on FP4?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s not available for the FP3 and the FP3+ (8901.3.A.0134.20211116).

Interesting this is available on a FP4 :face_with_monocle:

Maybe it is a hardware issue, the chip’s firmware for the FP3 might not support WPA3

No, it’s not.

“In Faiphone OS v.077 we have disabled support to WPA3 because we found out that it was causing issues with some WPA3 routers.”.

They clearly state on some routers and it was confirmed working on an older firmware release, see here.

1 Like

WPA3 is confirmed working on Android 11 for FP3 and FP3+ :+1:

3 Likes

Do you have an official reference where FP states its commitment to stick with WPA3? Iam afraid we might experience it being dropped again if reports on WiFi problems raise. Reading the earlier would really increase trust in availability of this feature from my side.

It’s confirmed working by myself on all to me available FP3 & FP3+ devices.

Source: Me

See post from @formerFP.Com.Manager about WPA3, Software update: 3.A.0077-20201221 - #113 by rae

If this will be the case, I won’t update it anymore, simple as that (I have a spare device to test the update first). For me WPA3 is more important than an up-to-date OS, even if there may be security concerns.

It’s obviously not a hardware limitation and can work on Android 11 as long as not crippled again by Fairphone due to some users which are not able to use WPA2 if they get problems using WPA3. So let’s hope for the best and may be Fairphone does the right thing for once by not changing this and let the Stock Android alone :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.