Stock fp3(+) (factory reset) boot loop (workarounds in first post)

Hi and welcome.

As stated Fairphone have their engineers looking at the problem and when fix is available the update will automatically be pushed to your phone via the network.

There is a slight possibilty that if it’s a simple fix it can be made available.

In either case there will be a new topic to inform all users that it is available.

Hi @vyacheslav and welcome also to the forum.

Thanks for your discovery, let’s hope that works for others whilst a ‘proper’ fix is arranged

All the best

1 Like

Hi amon. I’m new to the forum. Are you a worker for Fairphone? Is this official Fairphone response?

Amoun is a fairphone Angel, so basically an ambassador, not an official employee for fairphone, but rae’s response above, which Amoun was referring to, is fairphone’s official response:

5 Likes

No. It’s a user forum. People from Fairphone just appear rarely here and you can recognize them by the small blue F sign at the bottom right off the avatar like you see e.g. at the avatar of Rae some posts above.

2 Likes

Hi @Juplay

I am not an ambassador for Fairphone just a common user that has offered to help local people, that’s the angel bit, a bit overratted more like an elf or though I feel more like a gnome in the dark on a computer at the moment.

So regarding the response, clearly not an official Fairphone input just a gathering of thoughts.

This is a user forum and rarely do Fairphone look in unless they have been prompted by numerous support requests on an issue or an update has just been released.

3 Likes

We tried this, but it didn‘t work. Nothing works. :((

1 Like

I tried this and it seems to work for me! (at least it now stayed alive so far…) So big thanks!

The problem I now havce is that ALL other apps start spamming notifications that they won’t work without Google Play Services. Did you find a fix for that?

Edit: after this, I cleared the cache of both Play Services and the Play Store, and after that enabled Play Services again and so far everything still seems to be working!!!

1 Like

Can confirm that disabling Google Play Services fixes the reboot loop for me, … but pretty much nothing is usable without them.

Clearing cache and reenabling them did not fix it for me. After reenabling the boot loop happened again directly on the next boot.

1 Like

After the last factory reset I’ve done this morning I’ve tried to keep the system clean, without installing any app. The phone worked well, received phonecalls, browsed Chrome and no bootloops so far. Looks like some kind of conflict between apps and system.

EDIT after 36 hours back to bootloop even without any external app installed

Fp 3+ (march 2022)
No user
Ho. Mobile (Italian vodafone’s virtual operator)

1 Like

Please report further. A phone without any apps installed is not very usable, but I also had the error in safe mode, which would be strange if it is app incompatibility – that’s what safe mode is for, isn’t it?

If Google Play Services is the culprit, it might work until the system decides to update them to the buggy version, which would explain, why we were able to use it for a varying amount of time after factory resets.

For sure mine is not a solution, and maybe tomorrow I’ll find the phone in bootloop again, but today at least i had a working phone in my pocket.

The issue just occurred on my wife’s phone (presumably overnight updates).
It hasn’t yet recurred on mine.

Checking Google Play Services*, on my device the version is 22.43.12; on my wife’s it’s 22.44.16. She rarely installs updates when prompted; I always update within a day, so her being ahead of me is unusual (though my phone’s restored from backup, so I probably went back a few versions as a result).

I’m now experimenting with my wife’s phone without doing a factory reset to see if I can fix the issue by just removing updates / something like that…

* To view the version of Google Play Services, unlock the phone, swipe down from the top, swipe down again, tap the cog, select Apps and notifications, click SEE ALL ### APPS, tap Google Play services, Advanced, scroll down to the very bottom and you’ll see your version info

Note also: on the above Google Play services app screen there’s a vertical ellipses (`⋮) in the top right. Selecting that gives you an option to uninstall updates, reverting this app to factory settings.
I suspect removing the updates should block auto updates recurring… but I’ve yet to confirm.
This is the app in the play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms - checking the recent reviews I’ve not seen any comments about bootloops yet (i.e. if this is the cause and many models are impacted, there will likely be comments there soon).

5 Likes

Yep I already did a factory reset and it worked for nearly a week, after that it started its behaviour again. What helped me this time to avoid factory resetting again was (as I commented above) to disable Play Services, clear the cache / data from Play Services and the Play Store, and re-enable the Play Services app again. So far (about 10 hours in) it works.

2 Likes

Thanks… Oddly her phone doesn’t have the option to disable Google Play Services (i.e. both the Disable and also Force Stop options are greyed out.

On my own phone the first time I had the issue I did a factory reset and then things just worked for a week, until Thursday. Then I had the issue several times Thurs & Fri, before one “got lucky” and continued working / is still working on my phone this morning (despite Google Play Services still running / being untouched; albeit seemingly on an older version).

1 Like

Same here, FP2, Telekom DE SIM, no second user. Seems to have auto updated overnight and was stuck on the above message and loop in the morning. Any fix in sight yet, that doesn’t require a factory reset?

Hi, same thing for me happened to do q factory data reset

Welcome and no as you might read above, there is a probable workarounds and no solution

I’m experiencing the same issue as of this morning. Fairphone 3, Lebara UK, no second user.

Welcome to the forum and a virtual carrier of Vodafone

1 Like

The issue appeared last night on my phone, too. Someone remind me how life without a phone used to work? :wink:

4 Likes