Stock fp3(+) (factory reset) boot loop (workarounds in first post)

Been having this issue since yesterday morning. Unfortunately, need the phone for work. Hoping Fairphone can have this fixed ASAP.

FP3, no second user, normally use HoT in Austria but currently have second sim for Telemach in Croatia.

Same issue - FP3, Virgin, UK, no second user

Is it possible of one of the Angels to pin any temporary workaround to the top of this thread?

1 Like

Hi
I’ve also been having the same exact problem since lunchtime yesterday :frowning:

Disabling, clearing cache and re-enabling of GooglePlayServices works only up to the next restart, then I’m back in the loop.

I’ve the same on my FP3+ sind the night from 10th to 11th.

Is there currently a final solution/workaround available?

Thank you!

I’m having the same problem. It started occurring sometime last night (UK time) while I was asleep. FP3+ on Honest Mobile. I do not have a second user on my phone.

Unfortunately, the phone doesn’t stay on long enough for me to try disabling Google Play Services.

Will that work when the phone only stays on for about 8 seconds before rebooting? That doesn’t seem like long enough for the phone to load the necessary software, connect to the network, recognise that an update exists, download that update, and install that update, before the phone forcibly restarts again.

5 Likes

Same problem here.
FP 3+, Drillisch, Germany

I’m too slow too reach the Google Play Services Settings before it shuts down again. Is there a trick?

It should not crash if you don’t unlock the phone. Maybe the update will go through without unlocking?

1 Like

I just managed to be quick enough to disable Google Play Services. Sadly, the phone rebooted immediately afterwards, so disabling Google Play Services did not help in my case :frowning_with_open_mouth:

So, after disabling Google Play Services, the phone forcibly rebooted one more time. Selecting “Try again” on the error screen caused the phone to reboot. After I unlocked the phone, it froze for a couple of seconds, then flooded me with notifications that various apps won’t work without Google Play Services. However, the phone did not immediately reboot. This gave me enough time to go in and clear the cache for Google Play Services, and so far the phone is staying on.

I will leave the phone for a while and, if it stays on, I will try re-enabling Google Play Services to see if it still stays on. At least this will give me time to update my backups.

7 Likes

Same Problem in Switzerland. Charging my phone over night, this morning the same problem as above mentioned. Provider: Wingo. my husband’s phone (FP3) this morning no problems (until now).

I just did the factory data reset, and even restored all my old apps - and all is working by now. Am I just lucky or will the problem come again? Keeping my finger crossed…

May phone was on yesterday for over 8 hours without unlocking - nothing changed.

Same issue here (Germany, 1&1) since this morning approx. 9am CET. The 10 seconds between unlocking the screen and reboot are to short for doing any workarounds…

1 Like

Same for me. Today about 9 CET.

It’s quite a mess if this phone is your second factor for nearly all I do with MFA.

2 Likes

I’m going through the same issue, FP3, Germany, Vodafone, no second user, waiting and hoping for a quick fix.

Same in UK using Tesco Mobile(O2)

I checked the release notes for Google Play Services; there was an update the day before I first encountered this issue: Release Notes  |  Google Play services  |  Google Developers (more details on the change here: SettingsClient  |  Google Play services  |  Google Developers).

The update was to com.google.android.gms:play-services-location:21.0.1… which fits in with the location error I’d seen earlier / some of the comments on the second user thread.

I couldn’t find a way to check the version of that component; but going to settings > about FP3 > Android Version I can see Google play system update listed as 1 June 2022 (so before this fix was deployed). If I click on that I’m asked whether I’m told to restart to update… I’ve not yet done that as I think that will cause the issue to recur (I’ll try later when I’m not so dependent on my phone).

3 Likes

Hi

Same problem here yesterday morning with my FP3+, Switzerland. (I’ve seen a last backup in the morning around 2pm CEST, then nothing)

I’ve done a factor, reset, works for now.

Best
Michael

The same issue bei me…i dont want to loose me data, that iss why i start it again and again…

Sadly yes it will be :frowning:

1 Like