Stock fp3(+) (factory reset) boot loop (workarounds in first post)

My phone isn’t doing the auto-read thing (for some reason). It may be that I have just hit the same problem you had once.
I will perhaps try to chill and try again later. With phone stuck on reset until then. Can’t undo the factory reset now …

Interesting that this has been going on for days, but only hit some of us later now (network push delays?).

I have a FP3+ on Telenor in Sweden.

1 Like

Hi amoun, thanks for your reply

I really don’t mind if the updates occur every six months or less. The point is that every time my FP receives a firmware update, I have trouble using it even when I wait one month before installing it.

Since September 2021, after receiving an update I’ve been experiencing either minor bugs (the screen backlight wouldn’t work; the system would ask me to pick a launcher everytime i hit the home button) or having to factory reset it twice (may happen again, from what I’m reading here) to get it to work.

And I do get to use it spending hours in restoring it, logging in my apps again, manually restoring my Authenticator app and losing data. I’m glad it didn’t happen while I was abroad without my PC.

I stick to it because I love the project and want it to work, but it requires time and patience, which I don’t always have.

4 Likes

Some progress. Managed to turn off MFA. Now just to navigate the rest of the restart after factory, and hope it does not just go back into the loop…
Thanks for the help JohnLBevan and all the advice on the forum here!

1 Like

Also the same problem in UK using Tesco Mobile(O2). The reset menu appeared overnight (11/12 November) quoting version fp3 11/8901.4.A.0017.3/gms-15368f27.

I’ll raise a ticket.

Hi, as a suggestion: If you have another phone, switch over the SIM card to be able to receive SMS. If not, configure your FP3 completely w/o google interaction, just phone functionality. So you can receive SMS and configure alternate MFA methods to your Google account (most ‘low tech’ variant is “10 backup codes”)

3 Likes

This was found to be related the Digital Wellbeing app, that if disabled would stop that.

2 Likes

Same problem. FP3, Italy, operator is Fastweb.
It happened overnight just like in the opening post of this thread.

I reset to factory mode and the FP works as long as GooglePlay is installing all apps from the backup. Once it is finished, the phone reboots just a few seconds after I unlocck.
Hence I performed another factory reset and while the Play store was reinstalling all apps I managed to disable automatic updates from the Play store itself [Play Store->Your profile picture → Settings → Network preferences → Auto-update and Download preferences], then had just enough time to clear the Play store cache [Settings → Apps → Seel all apps → scroll to Google Play Services → Storage → Clear Cache].

It rebooted.

It works only if I disable Google Play Services.

3 Likes
  • This doesn’t seem to be related to the last update, which was on 27th Sept.
  • Further there are reports of people with the 0016.6 having the same issue
  • It could be an app update as it seems to occur even after a Safe mode start
  • It seems to cover a few carriers, O2 and Vodafone being big players

So maybe google has guffed up or one of their apps may have been hacked.

1 Like

Hi there, just wanted to let you know that I am experiencing the same issue. FP3 with vodafone Germany, approx. 2 years old.
I opened a ticket with fairphone but haven’t tried much else since I am not experienced with those issues and don’t feel good trying to do things in those 8 seconds. I hope they will resolve the issue soon.

1 Like

Hello,

Same here:

• Started yesterday while my phone was standing still charging
  • Provider: Orange (France)
  • Removing SIM card didn’t help

Note that phone calls work (I receive SMS too but can’t read them since reboot usually happens before the Messages app is able to start).

Do you also have “LocationServices hast stopped” before it reboots?

1 Like

I haven’t seen that (but I can’t swear it). If I read the discussion correctly, it happened after a first factory reset, right ?

1 Like

Generally it may be advisable for FP3 users to disable any Google updates, how would that mass communication be done.

I note under Google play store I have > Advanced > Modify System settings > Not allowed.

I’m still using Version 22.09.20 (100408-434869283) From April 2022

See

I’m still OK with EE in the UK

4 Likes

Hi there all FP users,

i am seeing the same issue since yesterday eve while charging!

No sec user. SIM out doesn´t help.
10 sec reboot upon unlock.
I can manage to reach Google service app, but grayed out option. Can´t disable it.

So i am awaiting help and chatting via browser with friends and stuff.

Greets from GER
Thomas

1 Like

Hey, chiming in here. I am also having these issues, since last Thursday (10-11-2022).
I managed to disable the Play Services, my phone is still on now :slight_smile:
I am on Play Services 22.44.14 and build number 0017.3.

1 Like

Are there any hints what to do if disableing Google Play Services ist greyed out?

Hey. Same issue here since this morning. Stock FP3, operator is Telenet (Belgium). I noticed my Google Play Services version is 22.44.16
Very thankful for this forum: was about to factory reset (and lose a bunch of important stuff), but then found this thread and read that it doesn’t fix the issue.
However: disable Google Play Services is also greyed out on my phone. Is there a way to change this?

1 Like

Nope, but you should be able to downgrade it: Settings-> Apps & notifications → See all apps → Google Play Services → Storage → Clear data.
This will remove all updates (I’m currently running 22.02)

3 Likes

THANKS! This made the trick. I’ve cleared all data of the Google Play Services reverted it back to 22.02. FP3 is now working fine.

3 Likes