Stock camera on LineageOS: Permissions denied

I installed the microg-edition of LineageOS 20 on my Fairphone 4, pulled the stock camera app FPCamera.apk (com.fp.camera, v2.0.039(06301600-01)) out of the latest firmware update file and installed it on the phone. I also rooted it via Magisk.

Whenever I start the stock camera app, I get a “Permissions denied” message:

Permissions denied. You can change them in Settings > Apps.

I have given it all permissions it asked for and that are selectable: Camera, Microphone, Location.

adb logcat looks like it wants to have storage permissions, but I do not get asked for them:

CAM_PermissionUtils: checkPermissions, [android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE]
ActivityTaskManager: START u0 {act=android.content.pm.action.REQUEST_PERMISSIONS pkg=com.android.permissioncontroller cmp=com.android.permissioncontroller/.permission.ui.GrantPermissionsActivity (has extras)} from uid 10190
CompatibilityChangeReporter: Compat change id reported: 174042980; UID 10190; state: DISABLED
CAM_QuickActivity: onCreate return,  by permission check!

What can I do to get the stock camera app working on my Fairphone4?

(I read the 2022-02 stock camera thread, but that one seems outdated by now since OpenCamera is able to access the wide angle lens. And according to Gallery Proxy for FPCamera (stock camera app) it must be possible somehow.)

It seems as if the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission is of no help anymore on Android 13:

Note: If your app targets Build.VERSION_CODES.R (Android 11) or higher, this permission has no effect.

So the stock camera on the stock OS probably only works because the default permissions xml file declares the permission :frowning:

I managed to get the camera app working by manually giving the permission via adb:

adb shell pm grant com.fp.camera android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

To view the taken photos I had to install the gallery proxy app (forum thread)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi,

I would like to try the stock camera app on my Lineage FP4.
I wanted to follow these insctructions but i’m stuck at the first point…
How do you manage to pulled the stock camera app from the firmware update file ?

From my understanding it should be in system partition that should be in “super.img” ?
I tried some tools but i’m not enough used to android…

Thanks

See the instructions at Fairphone 4: Stock camera on LineageOS

That might no longer work with the new camera update, or did you try?

Some discussion here

I did not try to get the new camera software working.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try with the last update

Thanks, I managed to pull the camera apk.
Unfortunately, it says that it’s not compatible with my device. Same thing that yvmuell linked, I’ll take a look at that topic