[Solved] SMS send takes unusually long

@Marko-L This worked for me. I had the issue of slow SMS sends on a FP3 with /e/ and a 4G/LTE contract at the German operator Drillisch (O2/Telefonica network).

2 Likes

Hi @here !
I contacted the support team regarding this issue. They confirmed that disabling the enhanced 4g LTE Mode is the best workaround at the moment, and they are working on a more permanent fix. Here is their explanation :

We are currently investigating the root cause of this issue. In the meantime, as a temporary workaround, as you also mentioned, we recommend to do the following:

1. Go to Network & internet > Mobile network > Advanced
  2. Click and disable the option ā€œEnhanced 4G LTE Modeā€. This should allow you to send your messages in a few seconds.

Fairphone 3 is technically capable of using VoLTE and VoWiFi technologies but we are still waiting to complete the partnerships with the various phone carriers. At this moment we do not have an exact indication of when those partnerships will be finalised.

I will then keep your request on-hold and I will get in touch as soon as we have a permanent solution.

I really appreciate their transparency on the issue and Iā€™m glad I contacted them. Now we actually know why. The workaround does it for me as of now, so to me the issue is solved. And at least we know they are aware of it and are working on it :smiley:

5 Likes

SMS 1-minute-delay for sending with LTE networks seems fixed now as of Android10 Upgrade on the FP3 here.

4 Likes

Can confirm - SMS goes out fast and neat with Android 10!

1 Like

Just updated last night. Unfortunately, I still have the same issue with enhanced LTE mode switched on. So Iā€™ll keep it switched off for now