Poll for FP3 owners: camera upgrade or not?

Of course, it’s nice to have a better camera on your smartphone and I don’t think anyone really NEEDS it. That’s the limit between keeping a basic smartphone for environmental purposes and upgrading a Fairphone, or worse changing phone, for more futile reasons. Buying the new modules is also an - expensive - way to support them.
I’m wondering what the next step will be, next year…

2 Likes

I’m not ordering. I just bought the FP3 a few weeks ago and i’m happy with the current camera.

Looking at the Fairphone goals i’d say ordering a new camera and getting rid of the current one is not a sustainable choice.

4 Likes

It depends if the old modules will be reused, for example to make a more affordable refurbished Fairphone 3 for poorer customers, which would make this more sustainable, compared to them buying a cheaper but polluting and enslaving brand.

4 Likes

This is why it was like a joke to me that I had so select “stick with my PerFecTLy functioning camera.”

3 Likes

@Antoine could you add an “I don’t own a FP3 but I want to see the results” option? They are only visible after voting, but I don’t want to mess with the results.

1 Like

Sorry I’ve tried, but none can change a poll after 15 minutes. But you can vote for undecided if you want to see the results :wink:

1 Like

I will stick with the current camera. After having reduced the sharpness value in the advanced options (as kindly suggested here in the forum) the overall quality increased a lot. If you consider that the Pixel 4a has still the same Sony sensor and can shot amazing pics, I would have preferred an improvement on the software side. Anyway, in my humble opinion, it’s the optical stabilization that makes the difference in low light conditions, not the Mpx boost. I will wait for the next upgrade :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve understood the improvement is on the software as well, but sadly only for the new cameras… Unless Android 10 also improves the handling of the old one by default…

1 Like

What’s the protocol for what to do with the old modules? Attempt to sell them to other uses or is there a way to sell them back to Fairphone for a base amount?

If you’re in France or Germany they’ll collect them back for free, but no cash refund. If you’re somewhere else, you can send them back in a simple envelope or try to sell them/give them away on the marketplace of this forum. Or you can keep them just in case…

2 Likes

Well, I don’t agree with people who think improved camera will improve their lives.

1 Like

I would be even interested in returning them to Fairphone for free, so they can be used to repair other people’s phones.

In this case:

7 Likes

Woah, thanks! Now I’m seriously considering to buy a new camera module. However, I will probably wait and see how the upgrade worked for others - I can already imagine the “I upgraded and now XYZ doesn’t work” threads.

2 Likes

Great to see the co-operation with iFixit lives on! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, which is why I’ll wait a bit before sending the old modules back :sweat_smile:
Or I might just keep them in case of spare parts need :thinking:

If we return them for free will they be given to others for free? I wouldn’t want to give back a two month old part to be resold.

They’ll have to test them, eventually repair them and refurbish them, this has a cost. But I guess they could also serve as spare parts for repairs…

Or you can simply put them in the Market > Giveaway or Sell section.

2 Likes

Not sure what to vote for when I’m only really considering the back camera, but the current (and likely future) package deal is tempting. I chose back camera only, because this is what I truly care for and would take in case there’s no deal when I buy.

Actually, I like to film my son while video whatsapping with his grand parents. Problem: if he is watching his grand parents on the display, I cannot see if the direction of the camera lense is ok (the back of the phone is directed to me). What I would like to have is a LCD I can attach to the back and connect to USB port, showing me a copy of the picture the front camera is recording (= a phone with LCDs on both the front and the back sides).